Color types - winter, autumn, spring, summer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been confused by this. I thought I was a Summer/Autumm, but I think now that I'm a lot fairer, I might be a Spring/Winter. I don't quite know. All I know is that blues and forest greens look good on my eyes, so it sounds like my skin tone is a little 'cooler'.

I, too, find (and have always found) this incredibly confusing. I guess I'm a cross between Autumn and Winter.... It's really hard for me to figure out.

I remember years ago a friend of my mother tried to type me as a season and she couldn't, haha. She pretty much just told me I could wear any colour and it would look fine... and so far I think she's right. But usually I stick to cooler and more definite colours in my clothes... like black and white, jewel tones, and earthy colours.

After reading some stuff for myself though, I'm pretty sure I'm Winter. Probably Winter mixed with Summer or Autumn I think. I agree, this stuff is really confusing, LOL.

I think it's confusing because a lot of colors look good on me, and there's no info on neutral/beige/linen undertones and how to know if you are one. Most things I read about this contradict each other.

ive heard it all because i get pale really quick in the winter and reaaally tan in the summer. so i usually can splash on anything?!?!?

I don't know if this is going to be "helpful" or not, but I just thought I'd add this:

In David Zyla's book The Color of Style he says that the real way to figure out what color season you are is to closely examine all the colors found in the palm of your hand and identify what all or most of them are (he gives some suggestions in the book.) And then, especially, you have to identify your "best version of "red" that is found in the flushed skin of your fingertips and also often in the base of your palm. This is also the same version of red your ears turn when you are very cold or very hot. It's actually that exact color that will dictate whether you are in fact "warm" or "cool", and also whether you are a Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter. If you read the book, he lists the exact hues (versions of red) that correspond to each color season.

I fully believe that this is most likely spot on accurate. The only drawback is that it is obviously quite a chore to try and figure out precisely what colors the palm of your hand contains and then even more difficult to pinpoint exactly what version of red is found in your flushed skin.

The "easiest" way of doing this (and what David Zyla recommends) is using paint chips and comparing the paint colors to your palm.

By doing this I discovered that my palm is in fact mostly really delicate versions of peach and apricot therefore I am WARM. I have still never been able to pinpoint my exact version of red lol! I also really can't tell if my flushed skin looks warm and mellow or a crisp, clear color. David Zyla says that all Springs turn a crisp, clear version of "red" when they are flushed and in Autumns it's a warm, mellow color. I'm terrible at discerning the chroma (dullness or clarity) of hues so this has left me baffled, lol! However, more than one professional color analyst has offered  their opinion that my eye color is more on the muted side so this supposedly means I'm an Autumn. Autumn seems more likely for me anyway since I'm brunette with dark hazel eyes. David Zyla actually categorizes some dark haired brunette women as Springs though, like Kristin Davis and Julia Roberts so that just makes finding your season even more confusing! lol!

Anyway, it's a really good educational book in a lot of ways and I still like it. But you should know ahead of time that it doesn't offer any shortcut methods of finding your color season. However, it's still probably the most accurate way of determining what category you actually are..if you can piece it together! LOL :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by jess! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know how to tell. D:

Yeah, it's really not an easy thing to do. As I said, you pretty much have to get some paint chips (Like from Benjamin Moore or Rona or somewhere like that) and compare the paint colors to your palm. I really like Benjamin Moore because they have the "sun" and "snowflake" symbols on their paint chips so you know if you're looking at a color with a warm golden or yellow undertone (they have a "sun") or a color with a cold blue undertone ("snowflake.")

I think their neutrals are labeled with triangle for some reason but I might be wrong. I know the colors in my palm are peach and apricot because I held up the Benjamin Moore paint chips in their peach family up to my palm and many of hem looked very similar to the colors in my hand, or had a "smoothing effect." A "smoothing effect" is when you hold the color up to your palm and you can see your whole hand at once. Holding up the wrong color will make the colors in your palm look like they are "breaking up." It's hard to describe better than that.

Just try looking for paint chips that you think might look sort of like your skin, especially on your palm. You might have to try a few before you get this right, I guess lol. When you hold it beside your palm you should be able to tell if it looks like the color of your skin or not.

With finding your right version of red that looks like your flushed skin I don't have a lot of helpful hints except to try looking at paint chips again. Like I said, I find this difficult too lol!

BTW, these are the "versions" of red for all the seasons. Supposedly you should be able to find one of these in your flushed fingertip:

Spring:  (Crisp and Clear color) Barbie Doll Pink, cool dusty pink, carnation pink, peach, peach coral, light orange, creamsicle, apricot, clear warm red, bright cherry red, bright coral

Summer: (Cool and Relaxed Color) cool shell pink, rose pink, dusty rose, strawberry, raspberry, watermelon, geranium, fuchsia, burgundy, rusty burgundy, mulberry, claret, cranberry, maroon

Autumn: (Warm and Mellow Color) Coral pink, salmon, tangerine, deep apricot, burnt peach, flame, orange red, tomato, Chinese red, Christmas red, cayenne, terra-cotta, paprika, brick red, cinnamon, Indian red-brown, rust

Winter: (Rich and Contrasted color) Ballet pink, shocking pink, dusted fuchsia, magenta, poppy red, ruby red, fire engine red, crimson, scarlet, vermilion, blue red, cranberry, dark cherry, rusty brick, port

Back