Concerns Re: Urban Decay Surreal Skin Mineral Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops! I just posted something in the mineral eyeshadow thread (I'm REALLY new at this stuff!) I asked the question, why is mineral make-up so popular now. I heard that BE (at one time) was THE biggest selling make-up at Sephora. I have been a professional make-up artist for over 15 years, and I have tried a few different mineral make-ups, and haven't really found one that I like better than my good old Dior, Stila, and Nars foundations and eyeshadows. The only reason I started looking into mineral make-up was because I heard it has less toxins than regular make-up. I'm just not sure I understand why everyone is going towards minerals if they are not afraid of the "toxins" in regular make-up. Just wondering....

And I very much appreciate everyone's experience and knowledge when it comes to this stuff. I can see how much everyone here has experimented and researched.

Thanks much for your answers!

One of the reasons I like it so much is you don't have that heavy makeup feeling on your face that you get with foundation. Also, it usually lasts longer (meaning a container can last a long time) and you can usually purchase it inexpensively.

Ever since switching to mineral makeup, my skin has cleared up and I hardly have any acne problems at all. I don't use it to avoid toxins, but because it's helped my skin so much!

There are so many brands with different ingredients. Titanium dioxides, zinc oxide, mica, and iron oxide are pretty much staple ingredients in mineral makeup. The premise is minerals are inert and therefore need no preservatives, but some companies may add oils or other ingredients that need to be preserved.

I think some people are more choosy about what they want in their makeup than others. Me, I can't take mineral makeup with bismuth oxychloride, but other people love the look that it gives them. Some people can't tolerate talc (also a mineral), but it doesn't bother my skin. Everyone differs and I think it's good there are so many products and formulations out there so people can find the one that is right for them.

Well I think people have different reasons for liking MMU. I can tell you my own reasons.

1) It looks more natural than liquid foundation on my face;

2) I am oily in the t-zone and mineral makeup controls that, while liquid foundation worsens it;

3) I love the coverage that it provides. With liquid makeup, you can choose sheer coverage for a natural look; or heavy coverage; but usually the heavy coverage foundations end up looking like you have too much stuff on your face. What I love about MMU is that it provides very good coverage while still looking natural (once you get the technique down. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

4) It lasts for a loooong time so it ends up being cheaper than liquid foundation

5) Since I started using mineral foundation my skin has improved a lot overall; I have a lot less blemishes and my skin just looks smoother.

6) Mineral foundation, when coupled with a good primer, lasts the WHOLE day on my face. Seriously. This doesnt happen with liquid foundation, at least on my skin.

So these are my reasons for loving mineral makeup. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back