High end beauty: why do people pay the price

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering there are only a handful of companies that make makeup and almost all the companies have numerous lines it seems like the major difference is marketing and packaging.  The ingredients are more similar than they are different so i get the impression it is about how a person feels about the product they buy.  

Hey if you've got the money and want to spend it that way  good for you!

My answer doesn't fall under any of the listed answers. I go for high end makeup for the value. That's it. I had found some good finds with lower end makeup, too, so I don't sleep on low end makeup anymore. For me it's all about quality and 80% of the time I find good quality with high end makeup. But I'm no stranger to the drug store deals either.
wink.gif

Sure, the brand, if you own a high end item you might as well show it off ! But i mostly look for quality, ingredients and quantity. sometimes, a higher price does mean a higher quality product.

I don't buy super expensive stuff, but for me, I'm most concerned with how something performs - and the ingredients.

Like everyone else has mentioned, I buy HE makeup because that's what works for me. If I can find some drugstore products that work just as well I will be ecstatic! It would save me tons!

I don't carry around any makeup on me so I don't really impressive people...although when friends come over I don't like to pull out my makeup as I get a tad embarrassed about my collection. Makes no sense but I do...I don't want to give the impression that I am trying to show off. Although I did once purchase a Chanel foundation and felt so 'cool' being at that counter.
shy.gif

i used to have the money to spend on high end all the time. but since i am now a stay at home mom with no income coming from me, its ulta / target / walmart for makeup now. =/ which i dont mind. but i will only get foundation at mac. i love my studio fix fluid. 

I chose C. I have more high end right now but I have nothing against drugstore brands. The only thing I find with drugstore brands there is rarely testers (except lipsticks which I test on the back of my hand). I spend $7.00-15.00 for a product that most of the time isn't the right color, formulation etc. Shoppers is good about returns. Walmart I find isn't with regards to makeup.  But then I feel guilty running back and forth, buying and returning especially if the products consistently are not right for me. I have bought mascara, lipstick, glosses at drugstores and will continue too. It's the eyeshadows (with the exception of NYX, Annabelle), foundations,  eyeliners and blushes I have difficulty with in drugstores.

At Sephora, MAC, other HE counters there are testers or you can ask for samples before buying full size which I often do.

Back