How can you tell if someone is lying on an internet dating site?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to think there is more to a woman than meets the eye, but the behavior of those women in person was either immature or just not exactly charismatic and endearing.

Also, if this guy is such a catch, why aren't you or any of your friends dating him (especially since he's made it known that he's single and looking)? The blade slices two ways. It could be possible that he himself is not conventionally desireable to younger women or he looks at all the wrong girls? I mean no offense to him, but he could possibly revise his strategy and means if he's very serious about finding something long term.

Funny Side Note: I used to be on Plenty of Fish too...for like one week. I got tons of email every day and half of them were asking me for "a real picture of myself." And I was like, "Yours may not be a real picture of YOURSELF, but that IS me, a**hole." The general quality of guys and girls on free internet dating sites is close to toilet bowl scum. Not all, but most.

Originally Posted by kabuki_killer /img/forum/go_quote.gif I like to think there is more to a woman than meets the eye, but the behavior of those women in person was either immature or just not exactly charismatic and endearing.
Also, if this guy is such a catch, why aren't you or any of your friends dating him (especially since he's made it known that he's single and looking)? The blade slices two ways. It could be possible that he himself is not conventionally desireable to younger women or he looks at all the wrong girls? I mean no offense to him, but he could possibly revise his strategy and means if he's very serious about finding something long term.

Umm I am not interested in dating Kev because we are friends and I have a bf I've been with for almost 5 years. I would try to get him to date a friend but all my girlfriends have boyfriends just like me, with the exception of one who says she doesn't wanna date someone because she is going to the peace corps for 2 years.
He has been single for a while now and I see girls have interest in him, but they are all older, and he has no interest in dating a much older lady anymore. He always goes to clubs and bars to meet someone, but I don't really think it's the best place to meet a classy woman who wants a long term bf, so this could be his badluck. I think he needs to meet someone through his friends or family, but seriously everyone is really taken.

@Perlanga: Actually, there are a lot more eligible girls than eligible guys that are single. I have so many single female friends that are hard-working and decent, usually fairly cute too. Many of them have never had a boyfriend as long as I've known them. In my opinion, there is a lack of good-looking, mature and interesting guys. Could it be that tastes don't always mesh?

I definitely agree that it's a crappy idea to pick up girls and guys at a bar. He might get lucky, but in general, it's not recommended. If he's looking for a serious relationship, he should try Eharmony. I hear it's really in depth. And if he's serious about mating, a professional matchmaker isn't a bad idea either.

i used to be on OKcupid and there were tons of guys on there doing the same thing that these women are doing! you'd get a couple of headshots that were either half-lit and turned 3/4 angle so you couldnt really see-- or some that were clearly taken from google and looked oddly professional. lol

i really think he needs to webcam people before he meets up with them. i wouldn't feel safe doing it without a webcam anyway. poor guy though.

That was both funny and sad at the same time. lol. I really do hope he's able to find someone, though!

Originally Posted by kabuki_killer /img/forum/go_quote.gif @Perlanga: Actually, there are a lot more eligible girls than eligible guys that are single. I think it really depends on where you are and who your friends are. Almost everyone I know over 20 years of age is married.

Lying on the phone...hmmm

A few things I notice when someone lies are:

When the person says "Whaaat?" - great stall tactic or perhaps a diversion to avoid answering the question.

When the person takes too long to answer a simple question

When a person can't remember the responce they gave to the same question earlier.

**When someone is telling the truth, they don't need a decent memory.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif That was both funny and sad at the same time. lol. I really do hope he's able to find someone, though!

I think it really depends on where you are and who your friends are. Almost everyone I know over 20 years of age is married.

I agree 100% in my circle of friends there is only one girl who doesn't have a bf. Even if I go into aquaintances I can't think of any girl who isn't taken.

I feel bad for the guys around here, because all of the good ones really are taken!

If they don't have a webcam, I ask them to exchange pics geared to our own specifications.  Like, I'll ask her to send me a pic with my name hand written on a sheet of paper, with a heart or a star or something in it.  I'll ask her to do it in black and white.  Full body shot.  Something she doesn't have just conveniently sitting in her camera phone.  I usually ask of this after a few conversations.  If she doesn't agree, or goes on the defensive about it, then there is a strong possibility that she/he is hiding something.  I won't take the chance and discontinue talking to her.  I've learned as I go.  I enjoy meeting new people online, but you have to be very careful.  Listen to everything they say.  And ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS go with your gut feelings.  If something he/she says doesn't sit well with you, then chances are, they aren't portraying true character.  BE SMART!!!!

Originally Posted by MrMidnite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If they don't have a webcam, I ask them to exchange pics geared to our own specifications.  Like, I'll ask her to send me a pic with my name hand written on a sheet of paper, with a heart or a star or something in it.  I'll ask her to do it in black and white.  Full body shot.  Something she doesn't have just conveniently sitting in her camera phone.  I usually ask of this after a few conversations.  If she doesn't agree, or goes on the defensive about it, then there is a strong possibility that she/he is hiding something.  I won't take the chance and discontinue talking to her.  I've learned as I go.  I enjoy meeting new people online, but you have to be very careful.  Listen to everything they say.  And ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS go with your gut feelings.  If something he/she says doesn't sit well with you, then chances are, they aren't portraying true character.  BE SMART!!!!
This is great advice.

What I'd be worried about is someone using my pic to scam other people.  That's what edate scammers do to get other photos to use on someone else.  

Why is everyone so obsessed with how someone looks or how much they weigh.

I was drawn to this topic as I thought it would help me to tell if someone is lying about their past or is a con artist. I think being deceived by a younger slimmer photo is the least of ones worries on line!!

The sad fact is that people feel they have to put a younger picture on profile because they are worried people will judge them harshly and they are so right just read all the threads.

You can test using another adress and another name:) I did exactly like that:)

You should use the dating sites that are advertised on the Television, Magazines,Newspapers and etc becasue they have been tested and are effective,the most common and maybe a lil expensive (you might have to pay a fee) websites are  eharmony, match.com, Zoosk, Uniform dating and etc. These websites are everywhere you go, so you know they must be good. Good luck.

Back