How long is too long to go without washing your hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by BajanPrincess /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My stepmother is Imdian so we were brought up that it was nasty not to wash daily or every other day at least. My sister only washes twice or three times a week because her scalp isn't as oily as mine and her hair dries out any more than that. What shampoo and conditioner do you use?
My mom (and dad) are both white, but they realize that black hair is different. I honestly think that part of your problem is that you wash your hair so often. Since you are constantly stripping it of its natural oils, it is overcompensating and creating even more.

I use DevaCurl Low-Poo as my shampoo, and it's literally the best shampoo I have ever used. As for conditioner, it varies. I'm currently using the Suave keratin one, but before that I was using Herbal Essences Honey I'm Strong.

You should check out Carols Daughter. She has some really amazing hair products for African American hair.

I did

My mom (and dad) are both white, but they realize that black hair is different. I honestly think that part of your problem is that you wash your hair so often. Since you are constantly stripping it of its natural oils, it is overcompensating and creating even more. I use DevaCurl Low-Poo as my shampoo, and it's literally the best shampoo I have ever used. As for conditioner, it varies. I'm currently using the Suave keratin one, but before that I was using Herbal Essences Honey I'm Strong. [/quot I have skipped a day of washing before and my hair was greasy and my scalp was really itchy. Sometimes I do get lazy and want to skip a day but I know that my hair won't smell or look good.

Originally Posted by BajanPrincess /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did

Quote: Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mom (and dad) are both white, but they realize that black hair is different. I honestly think that part of your problem is that you wash your hair so often. Since you are constantly stripping it of its natural oils, it is overcompensating and creating even more.

I use DevaCurl Low-Poo as my shampoo, and it's literally the best shampoo I have ever used. As for conditioner, it varies. I'm currently using the Suave keratin one, but before that I was using Herbal Essences Honey I'm Strong.

[/quot

I have skipped a day of washing before and my hair was greasy and my scalp was really itchy. Sometimes I do get lazy and want to skip a day but I know that my hair won't smell or look good.

Skipping one day one time (or even a couple of times) won't make a difference. You have to make a routine out of it. As I said, since you are continually stripping your hair from natural oils, your body is overcompensating and producing even more, hence your need to wash it so much.

Just putting my 2 cents in, I'm a mixed mutt with naturally straight hair and I have to wash every day or else my hair gets ridiculously greasy. I don't think I've ever gone a full 48 hrs. (with the exception of a few camping outings as a kid) where my hair wasn't washed. I'm envious of all these girls with gorgeous 2nd day hair! What I would give to curl my hair and see the effects last even 2 days later, lol.

I wash my hair every 3-4 days depending on how much buildup. I have. My hair gets oily the next day so dry shampoo is my best friend. Especially since I have my hair dyed red, if I washed it every day I would be dying it twice a week.

I've got long-past-my-back-brastrap hair. Oily skin & fine, dry hair. Dry from coloring. There's no way I could shampoo my hair every day. I stopped doing that a long time ago. I wear my hair twisted & rolled up into a knot many days, which keeps my hair not only naturally wavy, it stays clean a lot longer than if I leave it down a lot. It smells really fresh & looks very clean np matter how many days I go without cleansing because of that. I avoid conditioners with silicones in them like the plague because they make my scalp flake & itch like crazy. On days I'm not washing/cleansing my hair I use Ojon Revitalizing Mist, a little bit of Jamaican black castor oil gel product I make myself & a newer leave-in spray conditioner from L'oreal on my dry hair. I comb it through, then roll it up while it's still damp. Later in the day I often let my hair out & it's much smoother, shiny & quite wavy. Almost like it has had heat tools used on it, none of which work on my hair. Ever. Even when my husband & I lived in the tropics I didn't wash my hair every day. None of the local people there did either because their hair is generally very thick, sometimes coarse & very difficult to manage if washing every day. My husband looks like a freaky lion if he washes his regularly :) Almost everybody I knew there used coconut oil or something similar on their hair. My close friend's mother, who was past 60 at the time, had hair to her ankles. Virtually no grey. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw her unknot it, which was thick & long enough to not need anything to hold it up. She just rolled, twisted & knotted her it using her own hair. Only the women & men who colored, heat styled or washed theirs every day had problems like damaged hair & flaking scalp. I started paying attention to that & following a lot of their examples when it came to hair care.

My hair is thick and somewhat straight. I have to shampoo after every 3 days or else my scalp gets too oily. I condition every other day because I hate having hair crimps from my ponytails I do at night.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got long-past-my-back-brastrap hair. Oily skin & fine, dry hair. Dry from coloring. There's no way I could shampoo my hair every day. I stopped doing that a long time ago. I wear my hair twisted & rolled up into a knot many days, which keeps my hair not only naturally wavy, it stays clean a lot longer than if I leave it down a lot. It smells really fresh & looks very clean np matter how many days I go without cleansing because of that. I avoid conditioners with silicones in them like the plague because they make my scalp flake & itch like crazy. On days I'm not washing/cleansing my hair I use Ojon Revitalizing Mist, a little bit of Jamaican black castor oil gel product I make myself & a newer leave-in spray conditioner from L'oreal on my dry hair. I comb it through, then roll it up while it's still damp. Later in the day I often let my hair out & it's much smoother, shiny & quite wavy. Almost like it has had heat tools used on it, none of which work on my hair. Ever.

Even when my husband & I lived in the tropics I didn't wash my hair every day. None of the local people there did either because their hair is generally very thick, sometimes coarse & very difficult to manage if washing every day. My husband looks like a freaky lion if he washes his regularly :) Almost everybody I knew there used coconut oil or something similar on their hair. My close friend's mother, who was past 60 at the time, had hair to her ankles. Virtually no grey. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw her unknot it, which was thick & long enough to not need anything to hold it up. She just rolled, twisted & knotted her it using her own hair. Only the women & men who colored, heat styled or washed theirs every day had problems like damaged hair & flaking scalp. I started paying attention to that & following a lot of their examples when it came to hair care.
Have you tried their Full Detox?

My hair is very long, past the top of my bum, but thin stranded, and there is a lot of it. I rarely use products, if I do it is just a bit in order to smooth fly-aways. I generally air dry my hair unless it has to be dry fast then I let it air dry as much as I can, blow dry it a bit, and let it dry the rest of the way.

I can wash it every other day and it is okay, but I use a sulfate free shampoo and I almost always use a deep conditioner. Once I get to the 4 day mark (which happens occasionally due to my migraines), it will be pretty oily and somewhat stringy. Much past that and I start getting flaking with my scalp and it just feels icky. I have also noticed that my hair gets oilier in the winter time now, versus in the summer time.

I mainly space out my washing because my hair takes soooo long to dry, 2 to 3 hours in the winter time and I cannot go out or go to bed with wet hair because it causes me to be too cold and I get migraines.

Have you tried their Full Detox?
Nope. Unfortunately, Ojon started using silicone in their products a while back. I stopped using all their products except for their revitalizing mist & a couple of their hair sprays. I used to use their entire line of products. Many people were extremely unhappy with the company after they reformulated their products & stopped using them. Their FB page was full of complaints a few years back, which the company totally ignored.

Back