Is it bad to sleep with wet hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest problem in sleeping with wet hair is that when you toss around, your hair tangles... and when it's wet - it's extremely vulnerable to breakage. And if you put it up, it can break around the elastic. Satin or silk pillowcases help (but don't get expensive ones, because water can sometimes stain them) and if you do sleep w/ wet hair (or pull it up) lift it all up behind your head so that you really aren't laying on the ends. If you put it up, put the pony on the top of your head.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Satin or silk pillowcases help. I sleep on a satin pillowcases and I love it. I've been trying to find a silk one for awhile now with no luck. Know a place I can buy one for a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 The biggest problem in sleeping with wet hair is that when you toss around, your hair tangles... and when it's wet - it's extremely vulnerable to breakage. And if you put it up, it can break around the elastic. Satin or silk pillowcases help (but don't get expensive ones, because water can sometimes stain them) and if you do sleep w/ wet hair (or pull it up) lift it all up behind your head so that you really aren't laying on the ends. If you put it up, put the pony on the top of your head.
wink.gif
Good point, I always slept with my hair pulled up behind the pillow (and still do to some extent, though the shorter layers don't stay there!) because I didn't like it wrapped around me
wink.gif
Plus I don't move much in my sleep so it stayed there!

they say pulling hair back tight in an elastic can make your hair weaker leading to hair falling out, i tie mine back in a loose bun wet then in the am i straighten it with an iron~wahla, no frizz.

Welcome Stacaro! I'm Janelle from NY - nice to meet you!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I agree, you really don't want to you a rubber-band type elastic, a soft loose scrunchie is better if you are going to put it up. You don't want anything too constricting.
wink.gif

Welcome to MUT Stacaro.

Sleeping with wet hair made me headaches when I wake up in the morning.

So I never do that on purpose.

Originally Posted by Leony Welcome to MUT Stacaro.Sleeping with wet hair made me headaches when I wake up in the morning.

So I never do that on purpose.

Yup - it can do that... and it can be either from the hair being pulled back too tight (and then laying on it) or just from the cold from your hair being wet.
redface.gif

All of us should be sleeping with silk pillow cases. Then no one would have to worry about our hair breaking, shredding, etc., while we sleep. And that's silk, not satin.....I used to get them mixed up. Penney's sells them in their catalog in a lot of colors too.

Lyn

There are days when it's impossible for me to get a shower in except right before bed, so I just throw my hair in a ponytail and go to sleep. I've never had any negative side effects.

I've been sleeping with damp hair for the past 15 years (since high school). I just pile it up on top of my head during the night and I wake up with beautiful waves and full of body. I have very straight Asian hair that is thick and heavy, and when I allow it to either air dry or blow dry it, it's very flat and unflattering. I don't toss and turn around much at night, so it doesn't get tangled at all. I just make sure I condition well at night and I'm good to go!

Chinese people have an old wives tale that if you sleep with wet hair, you'll get rheumatism when you're older. I'm a nurse and I obviously don't subscribe to that belief!

No, I always wash my hair before going to bed and it's totally fine. I have straight hair too, so I just brush it, let it dry for like an hour then sleep, but I sleep on it rather that moving it outa the way.. because then the backside becomes all weird and like sticks up. Especially since my hair's short now.

So, like.. yeah. It's alright.

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa Same here. I usually try to let it finish air drying before I lay down on it but it takes it for-EVER to dry! I don't understand why because I don't have that much hair but for some reason it retains water like mad. my hair dresser told me that dry hair takes longer to dry because the hair holds on to water to stay hydrated. I don't know about you but my haire is def. dry from all the color processing
icon_sad.gif

I always take a shower at night and sleep with my hair wet. The only problem that happens to me is that my curls get flat if my hair is loose since I have curly hair. If I sleep with a braid, I have tighter curls in the morning when I style it.

If I go to bed with very wet hair, I wake up with a stuffy head. My room isn't that cold either. But, I too like to shower at night to have more sleep time in the am. I'll usually dry it a bit & use a scrunchy to twist it up so I have some waves in the morning.

yazzy
redface.gif

I have a related question (especially if Janelle sees this, lol) .... sometimes when I'm not going out, I'll wash my hair in the morning (as always) but then tie it back in a loose scrunchy for the day without drying it first. When I take it out at night, it's still wet where the scrunchy was! (But it does dry overnight since I don't leave it up to sleep.) Is it bad for hair to stay wet that long? I've been doing this once or twice a week lately, since I'm too lazy to blowdry my hair if I don't have to, and my hair is nasty-oily if I don't wash it every day...

I find it really annoying to sleep with wet hair, it's uncomfortable to be on a wet pillow all night!!

This is my first post in here so I hope it's helpful, lol.

I was reading one of my many beauty magazines a while back and it said that going to sleep with DAMP hair helps to make it shinier/smoother in the morning because the strands have time to seal moisture or something along those lines. But I'm sure it's different for wet hair because of the fact it's more prone to damage.

Back