Is The Subscription "Box" Popularity Wanning?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely think the beauty box market is saturated with too many companies offering too many boxes, and consequently the available supply of samples (from all companies) is being watered way too thin.  I think the beauty companies should scale back their collaborations and only work with the few boxes that have good customer service, reliable shipping and sufficient strong brand partnerships.  Let the other ones die off.  What has been very apparent here in Canada is that a bad box reflects not only on the box provider, but also on the companies inside the box.  Glossybox did possibly-irreparable harm to Revlon and Avon here when they shipped out discontinued, liquidated products from those companies' Eastern European operations.  They also sent out expired samples of Prevage, which immediately devalues that luxury brand.  I personally believe Glossybox Canada has secretly shut their doors and made off with subscribers' money (much like Glymm did earlier this year), and I do believe that governments need to built stronger protections for consumers of these boxes.  Canadian subscribers are no longer sure a box is worth the risk. 

Originally Posted by lgandab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I definitely think the beauty box market is saturated with too many companies offering too many boxes, and consequently the available supply of samples (from all companies) is being watered way too thin.  I think the beauty companies should scale back their collaborations and only work with the few boxes that have good customer service, reliable shipping and sufficient strong brand partnerships.  Let the other ones die off.  What has been very apparent here in Canada is that a bad box reflects not only on the box provider, but also on the companies inside the box.  Glossybox did possibly-irreparable harm to Revlon and Avon here when they shipped out discontinued, liquidated products from those companies' Eastern European operations.  They also sent out expired samples of Prevage, which immediately devalues that luxury brand.  I personally believe Glossybox Canada has secretly shut their doors and made off with subscribers' money (much like Glymm did earlier this year), and I do believe that governments need to built stronger protections for consumers of these boxes.  Canadian subscribers are no longer sure a box is worth the risk. 
survival of the fittest!

I honestly cut down on subs because I was getting way too many things that I wasn't planning on using. i rather spend the money on something I really want.  

I've definitely been taking advantage of free or cheap samples offered by companies directly. For example, Alima Pure offers $1.50 samples of products and they send two free samples with every order on top of that. I wanted to try the Dr. Hauschka line, so I just bought the sample kit for about the price I would pay for a sub box and tried out all the products before I decided which I really wanted in full-size. Sephora also offers a few sample kits with travel sized products at the register. I think as the market becomes more saturated companies are willing to offer free or affordable samples of their products to customers on their websites. I've noticed quite a few smaller natural companies doing this. Also, if I want a good deal I'll look at ebay. It can be a good resource for new, unused beauty items that regular people or authorized dealers want to sell, including lots of samples and travel-sized products. 

Back