Julep: April 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my roomie ordered the penny box after i did and it worked fine, we thought it'd get canceled! but my referral credit did get deleted

Originally Posted by katlyne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about if say you have a little sister that is just getting Julep? Different name, same adress and cc info? I just think there's too many maybes to cancel someones order without getting all the circumstances
Really? I think its fair. People shouldn't be able to scam a generous system to get extra free boxes. You shouldn't be able to use it to send free gifts to people. Just my opinion.

Quote: Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

my roomie ordered the penny box after i did and it worked fine, we thought it'd get canceled! but my referral credit did get deleted
See this seems fair to me. She ordered a box under her name with her own credit card, just the same address. It wasn't you ordering a box for her, you know? 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really? I think its fair. People shouldn't be able to scam a generous system to get extra free boxes. You shouldn't be able to use it to send free gifts to people. Just my opinion.

See this seems fair to me. She ordered a box under her name with her own credit card, just the same address. It wasn't you ordering a box for her, you know? 
I think they match it more to email addresses.  I don't know if the people that had their orders cancelled were using the same email address?  At least, that's the way it is with most sub companies

Originally Posted by Shanny81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think they match it more to email addresses.  I don't know if the people that had their orders cancelled were using the same email address?  At least, that's the way it is with most sub companies
Doubt it, its too easy to create another email address. I'm assuming they are actually looking at address/name/credit card info along with the email to prevent it. It wouldnt' be too hard to set up a filter like that in a database.

Originally Posted by Shanny81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Creating a new email is easy. And unlike most companies, Julep actively doesn't want people to have multiple subscriptions. For other companies, people have them because they want multiples of the same box, but Julep you can actually buy another box from their store for the same price as the subscription box.

The only benefit from getting it directly that month is getting the addon polishes for $5 while in the store, it's ~$11. So if you wanted multiple Julep boxes and could skip what you wanted, keep what you don't, it wouldn't be benefit Julep to let people have multiple accounts. It would equate to them losing money. By addresses isn't great, but a lot of other places have "one per household" stipulations too.

Didn't say it was unfair, deary. If you have a legitimate reason for the situation, e.g. a family member in the same house, its not a scam.

I was curious about the multiple accounts, so I asked their CS team. Here's the response:

Hi Allison,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We would be more than happy to assist you with this. You are more than welcome to have multiple accounts associated with the same billing and shipping address. However, we only allow one promotional Introductory Box per person per household. If you wanted to use a promotional code for an Introductory Box you can definitely do that, but if you wanted to purchase a second or third Introductory Box for additional subscriptions, they would need to be purchased at the full price of $19.99. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Have a great day!

Maven Customer Service Team

1-877-651-3292
www.julep.com
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm PST
Saturday 9am-1pm PST

“Without play, life just doesn’t taste good.â€
-Lucia Capacchione

Originally Posted by allistra44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was curious about the multiple accounts, so I asked their CS team. Here's the response:

Hi Allison,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We would be more than happy to assist you with this. You are more than welcome to have multiple accounts associated with the same billing and shipping address. However, we only allow one promotional Introductory Box per person per household. If you wanted to use a promotional code for an Introductory Box you can definitely do that, but if you wanted to purchase a second or third Introductory Box for additional subscriptions, they would need to be purchased at the full price of $19.99. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Have a great day!

Maven Customer Service Team

1-877-651-3292

www.julep.com

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm PST

Saturday 9am-1pm PST

“Without play, life just doesn’t taste good.â€

-Lucia Capacchione

Thanks for checking that. It's understandable why they do that, but I can see how it would suck. 

Didn't say it was unfair, deary. If you have a legitimate reason for the situation, e.g. a family member in the same house, its not a scam.
Right, but how can they know if someone's reason is legitimate? They have to have a system in place to protect themselves from scammers. 

my friend that I surprised with an intro box is now a maven, so please stop using the word 'scam'.

Originally Posted by r4chel77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

my friend that I surprised with an intro box is now a maven, so please stop using the word 'scam'.
And I'll bet she used the promo code to get her first box for a penny too so technically it sort of was.

And I'll bet she used the promo code to get her first box for a penny too so technically it sort of was.
How exactly is that technically sort of a scam? Two people, two different accounts, two different Maven subs... I feel like you're saying out of a group of friends only one can use the code otherwise it is a scam.

I think she means to say she's a maven in the sense that she bought passed her penny box and is now a loyal monthly subscriber. or I could have read that wrong

Originally Posted by r4chel77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How's it not though? You already knew you liked the product and that your friend would like it. I mean, I guess its not if you gave her the account and that's what she uses, but I don't think Julep intended this to be an easy way to get someone a free gift.

Abuse of these types of things is a good way to get them taken away, but I feel like we've discussed this a million times in regards to promo codes, samples, return policies, etc on this board.  

Still don't see it as a scam if its two different people. Esp. In the case of getting a friend into the subscription.

Still don't see it as a scam if its two different people. Esp. In the case of getting a friend into the subscription.
I think what she is implying is that the friend received 1 box for a penny (the gift) and then another box for a penny (for her actual subscription) in which case 1 person got 2 boxes for a penny a piece.

Mmmmmm. Its still not a scam unless she kept the second box for herself. And besides the friend actually subscribed afterwards

Originally Posted by wildsp187 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think what she is implying is that the friend received 1 box for a penny (the gift) and then another box for a penny (for her actual subscription) in which case 1 person got 2 boxes for a penny a piece.
Exactly. I would only really see it as a 'scam' if the friend then also used the promo to get an intro box. I understand the intentions are obviously good, but if you use the promo to gift a friend an intro box & then she likes it & uses the promo code to order her own intro box...technically she's getting two boxes at the promo price  OR you can look at it the other way... if you used the promo yourself & then used it again to gift your friend an intro box, then you're getting two boxes at the promo price yourself, even though you're giving one away. Either way, it's against the policy on the intro box discounts. 

Like I said, obviously in this sort of situation you're not really trying to 'scam' anyone, but from a completely factual standpoint it is against the rules. 

Latest posts

Back