Lightening Black Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have naturally black hair.   This works for me everytime.  When I want to lighten it or get the black out to a medium brown, I use blond hair coloring.  This lifts the color of black out to brown but you may get red highlights.  At least I do. It's not real noticeable unless you are in the sun.   

I use revlon blonde or clairol blonde.   Then wait 2weeks and do another lighter color.   If you do a brown haircolor,  I suggest leaving the hair color on for only 10 minutes.  Anything longer than that will make your hair black.  Hair for some reason sucks up the brown/black more than any other color.

Also, I recommend using semi-permanent color, the kind that washes out after so many shampoos.  That way if you don't like the color, it's easier to dull it out.   I would use that until I found the right color I wanted and then find it in a permanent shade.

Good luck! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I highly recommend a professional... one that specializes in hair color --not just your average salon. You want some hair left when it's all over, and best to not be the consistency of cotton candy. As one who goes to cosmetology school, I've seen a lot (and a lot of it not good.)

I love this video although her hair was natural to start, but it took 5 hours to lighten her hair to blonde. It had to go step by step.

Plus, she really does look awesome at the end. I'd like to know what kind of ordeal her touch-ups are though.

Also, the daughter of a friend of mine had blonde hair and dyed it black, and I'm not sure what she used to get it out, but her hair was like straw afterwards. (Her beautiful silky hair!)

The thread is from 2007. If you're looking for info on how to lighten black hair the answer is going to depend on if you want to use bleach, high volume peroxide or just go a few shades lighter which can be done using 10 volume to 20 volume peroxide.

Originally Posted by sarahfields20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

were could you buy this dye that you first used to lighten? like walmart maybe?

Back