Look at the crazy bird in my feeder

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by suenotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Muscovies have "caruncles"  red growths on the faces, which I myself don't find attractive. But it is true that muscovy ducklings are about as cute as it gets. I have not had this breed of duck, but many who do really love them.

I have 2 runner ducks (daisy and louisa mae) and 2 mini silver appleyards ( finneas bean and alvin) and 1 mixed breed duck (theresa).

The runners are our favorites!
They are super super loyal and intelligent! Nicky follows me around everywhere (I've had her since she hatched) and she likes sitting under the kitchen table during meal times and just wags her tail and holds her head up high, waiting for scraps like a puppy. She's got quite a refined taste too haha. Won't eat anything but the freshest fruit and veg and scraps of meat/fish, and the occasional bit of pasta. She'll turn her head and walk off like a spoiled child if you try to feed her something she doesn't think is worth eating. 

Runner ducks are adorable and kind of creepy at the same time to me haha. It's just the way they stand and suddenly freeze and stare at you out of one eye that gets me.

I'd really like to keep a cayuga duck or two or even a goose (I find sebastopols GORGEOUS) sometime in the future - when I have a bigger yard!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aren't the ducks with the funky looking heads and dark green feathers?
Yup. They pretty much look like slightly smaller turkeys. Nicky didn't get a face full of red lumps like most muscovies do though, hers just looks like a superhero mask. It's quite cute haha. She has a white head and belly but black tail/back/wings that glow green and purple in the sun.

Oh you're Indian Runner Ducks are so cute!!! The one on the right looks to be a Drake due to the head coloring but I saw both have female names. I love ducks, we had Peking... fat things because I couldn't butcher them. I do remember my tomato garden that year being the BEST tomato garden we ever had because I allowed the ducks free reign in the garden. lol *sigh* I miss my birds - turkeys, ducks, chickens, peafowl.
these are both boys that I sold because we had another resident drake at the time, it was just the first runner picture I came across on my computer (in case someone didn't know what a runner duck looked like) Those 2 boys were magnificent specimens. Many hatcheries do not sell great looking runners (they don't stand straight up or look like crosses). I got these as chicks from Oregon. They're supposed to look like "wine bottles with legs and a head"

I love that you have all these animals that I love. It's always nice meeting another person who has chickens and ducks so you can understand my obsession with those types of birds. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love that you have all these animals that I love. It's always nice meeting another person who has chickens and ducks so you can understand my obsession with those types of birds. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
You should stop for a visit if you ever come up my way, about an hour north of Philly.

Back