L'Oreal buy Urban Decay?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was asked for my opinion on the matter on my Facebook wall. My reply was, "Shocked but not surprised, since the whole China fiasco I had a feeling UD was in financial trouble and with it being bought out by L'Oreal it cinches that they had some kind of financial problems. The BIGGEST thing I see happening is that those who are 100% against animal cruelty are going to be up in arms because L'Oreal does test on animals."When they were planning to sell to China I felt that the move was for two reasons - 1) to get their product in a market where their products are counterfeit (in an attempt to stop counterfeiting) and 2) to make more money since China has billions of people with potential billions of dollars in profit. When the plan to expand into China failed due to the outcry of those who are against animal testing I think that it hurt them financially but that they already were hurting in the first place. So it's no surprise that UD sold itself to a company that's able to financially rescue them from whatever financial problems they had.

That probably makes the most sense... UD would merge/sell to get an instant injection of capital and have better resources. I see why loyal and die hard cruelty free fans would be upset, but it's apparent that if there is no expansion into China and only into Europe, UD will still maintain their cruelty free status. L'Oreal is moving that way, regardless of being forced or choosing to do so.. Does the end justify the means here? I suspect for the strict anti-animal testing crowd, no, but this merger/sale will net UD a larger profit margin through global exposure and therefore, a new customer base. Growing pains and this is the price of doing business when you want to expand..some people are not going to be happy, but it seems the opportunities outweigh the backlash in this situation.

@BlingandBeautyS - I don't think you are seeing it wrong at all.

@ Zadidoll - Great response

If someone is that dead against animal testing they need to completely evaluate almost all of their purchases, not just cosmetics. They need to do something about it and not just whine on FB at one company. Animal testing is done for tons of products including but not limited to cosmetics, food, medications, etc. Let's be honest though, most of the consumers that are whining about it own and use products from not only this but many other companies that do animal testing.

I am sure I will get horsewhipped for this one but here goes. In theory I am against animal testing because yes it is cruel and it does make my heart hurt to think about it. At the same time I don't really want to offer myself as a test subject because I don't want to use or ingest products that may not be fit for human use. Terrible? Maybe. Honest? Yes.

I think this boils down to a matter of choice. This is really no different than some people being vegans/vegetarians and others eating meat. Some people view it as terribly wrong and others are ok with it.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think a lot of consumers are upset because UD has always been vegan and cruelty free while L'Oreal is not. Having said that I found this article about them and how they are going to be cruelty free in 2013. Too bad it took so long but at least they are making changes.
They'll find a way around it, I'm sure. I don't know how, but there will be a loop hole.

Also... this sucks. I almost knew it was going to happen though.. gut feeling and all.

.. and now I will never check this thread again because I'll get banned if I do :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> bye ladies

Back