Nail polish for men?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Marsha! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black would be about the only thing I could imagine a man wearing, and that for the goth reason. I can't sell myself on the matte finishes though. Matte is darn near a 4-letter word for me. Ask the people who swore up and down my ex and I put vinyl siding on our house because I insisted on painting it semi-gloss red! Or my ex, who had fits because I painted the kitchen walls gloss peach. LOL...he wouldn't let me choose paint without him after that! Back to the nail polish though...just because I can't imagine men wearing other than black doesn't mean they shouldn't, it's just a new idea for me, and the more I think about it the more I think it would be neat for men to wear the colors. :)

It's amazing what happens when people actually take a minute and think for themselves! THANK YOU! To me, nail color is an awful lot like tattoo ink, especially with respect to function (decorating the body). There's no reason at all for tattoos to be (until about 1985) "for men only", and there's no reason for nail color to be "for women only". The only reason people "think" it's feminine is because they really AREN'T thinking. Nail polish is really just paint.

I'll admit, some colors are feminine - regardless of the medium carrying it. Pink is feminine even if painted on a Hummer H-1 or molded into a Glock 9. Many pastels are rather feminine. But there's nothing wrong with "feminine" - most normal people have some of "masculine" and some of "feminine" in their personality, and every person needs to find a balance of these which makes them happy. And if that includes nail color - in any color - on a man, I say that deserves only admiration!

I do use nail polish regulary, and I am a straight man and an engineer. My masculinity is spiced up with some feminin aspects. Some people agree and tell me so. Some people dislike it, a few of them tell me so. And a lot of them tell others instead of me. I wear mostly black, but also green and other dark colors. And I often put shades of light mint or pink on top of the black color. I feel attracted by the gothic style and I also use clothes that matches that kind of style.

To me nail polish is only a color, and as some people say, the next thing after the ear ring. I find it weird that a woman could use pants or get tattooed or anything else that a man usually did, and not the other way around. Why not use the imagination and find your own style, not controlled by the masculin or the feminin style? Find some clothes, makeup, shoes, whatever and try it on. If it fits and feels well, then use it!

I think my husband would look hot with dark olive drab matte nail polish but he'd never go for it
rolleyes.gif
 I do think the double standard for girls wearing guy stuff and guys not being able to wear girl stuff sucks.

Originally Posted by tweakabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think my husband would look hot with dark olive drab matte nail polish but he'd never go for it
rolleyes.gif
 I do think the double standard for girls wearing guy stuff and guys not being able to wear girl stuff sucks.
Take a look at the SUEDE version of OPI's "Here Today, Aragon Tomorrow". The www scrangie com blog, in Sept 2010 has a post about HTAT suede, shown without and with gloss topcoat, and regular HTAT for comparison. It's more of an evergreen than an olive, but it would look really awesome if he wore the suede and you wore it with gloss TC. Essie has a perfect olive drab too, but I forget what it's called..

Tell your hubby: 1) it's a "manly" color, 2) it's just paint - just like tattoo ink but without the needle and you're not stuck with it forever, 3) it'll make you happy if he tries it
wink.gif
, 4) "Manhood" has NEVER been about being afraid of what "the guys" might say - but guys UNIVERSALLY respect other guys who find ways to ..umm.. "excite" their women (see #3).

similar idea occures to me as well. i do want to play a trick on my husband. i polish his nails and faces with makeups during his sleeping. and lure him to go outside before he recongnize it. it is surely very interesting.

I am so glad to read that some females are applauding men that dear to use clothes and assesories that usually was not made for men. It is also fantastic to hear that both men and women tells me that they admire me for wearing clothes and nail polish and other assesories the way I do. I am not that confident about it to be honest as many believe. I actually fear what people might think about it. But I have learned to "wear the fear like a crown", and by that dear to do what I do.  

I love to watch movies created for Johnny Depp, there are a lot of effects around his person that is not main stream when it comes to clothing. Edvard Scissorhands, Jack Sparrow, Chocolate, Sweeney Todd: The demon barber of Fleet Street, Charlie and the chocolate factory, Alice in wonderland. Why can't we all, men and women, just find our own way? Look in the mirror, look around without putting on the man and woman filter and think: What would I like to try out? Hmm, the combination of using those shoes and that hat and so on and so on would be amazing to try on. Try it, take a look in the mirror and analyze yourself. Yes, it suits me. Or, no, that was not ment for me. Then go out in the world and show it to everybody. And then: Get nailed by the crowd! Because most people will find it weird, and most of them will tell everyone else than you! What a wonderful world we live in
icon_smile.gif

By the way: I added a photo of myself as my avatar, wearing nail polish as I do everyday. Click on it to see a bigger version. Do you think it gives me a feminin look?

Originally Posted by tweakabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

rolleyes.gif
thats true

i love to wear nail polish either when i am wearing male clothes or wearing female clothes i tend to spend more time wearing female clothes but i do not try to pass as a woman but sometimes i get mistaken for one i never pretend to have breasts but do love wearing female clothes especialy skirts and dresses.

anyone should be able to wear makeup if they want to wether male or female.

regards Paulie

i love to wear nail polish either when i am wearing male clothes or wearing female clothes i tend to spend more time wearing female clothes but i do not try to pass as a woman but sometimes i get mistaken for one i never pretend to have breasts but do love wearing female clothes especialy skirts and dresses.

anyone should be able to wear makeup if they want to wether male or female.

regards Paulie

I am a 38 year old truck driver and closet cross dresser, but dis go to my two favorite bars in full drag last Halloween and would do so again. I am straight and married and about 4 months ago discovered the joy of painting my finger nails, and wear it around the clock. I've found yellows, oranges, blues, pinks and Greys look really nice on me. I've also been known to mix em up a bit, this week each of my fingers are painted a different color (same on both hands) grey, teal, purple, blue and dark pink with black crackle over each and it's really sharp. I have had a few people question my paint but for the most part I get a lot of compliments and support. I don't hide it and shoot pool 7 nights a week. I've got several friends when I see them say let me see them and like it. I live in a small conservative town and have not seen but one other man 15 years ago wearing polish, I'm an individual and don't really care what anyone thinks. Enjoy and be yourself, don't hide and fit in.

I have no problem with men wearing polish, makeup, feminine clothes, etc. I wear what I want and I figure they should as well. It's a shame that society feels the need to step in and belittle those who wish to dress or act "differently". I say go for it!

Besides, let's face it, there are some smokin' hot men out there that are sportin' polish, makeup etc.

My husband is neither a cross-dresser nor a goth and he paints his toenails. He has his own little collection of polishes, which are mostly grays, greens and blues. I think they look great, and we don't really give a flip what anyone else thinks (he does get some looks).

MANY mail celebrities paint their nails..

For example: Heidi Klum's ex husband (SEAL), Johnny Depp, Cash Warren (Jessica Alba's husband), and many more.

article-0-11C207D8000005DC-784_196x402.jpg
article-0-11C89FE8000005DC-110_196x402.jpg

I don't have a problem with it... No one should!

Originally Posted by viccckyhoang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MANY mail celebrities paint their nails..

For example: Heidi Klum's ex husband (SEAL), Johnny Depp, Cash Warren (Jessica Alba's husband), and many more.

article-0-11C207D8000005DC-784_196x402.jpg
article-0-11C89FE8000005DC-110_196x402.jpg
Johnny Depp is one of the aforementioned smokin' hot men. I never noticed Seal wears it. Looks like he pulls off bright yellow much better than me...lol.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Johnny Depp is one of the aforementioned smokin' hot men. I never noticed Seal wears it. Looks like he pulls off bright yellow much better than me...lol.
I definitely agree with you! haha the yellow fits him very well..

I'm a straight 25 year old and painting my nails black is a guilty pleasure of mine. I also like glue on nails but only if they're short and square/oval. For me, it's just a thing I like. I happen to have rather slender fingers and like the appearance of well groomed and well painted nails, although I'm straight and not a cross dresser. Sometimes I might use colours like purple or blue but black is almost always my colour of choice, not so because I'm goth but mainly because in my mind dark colours strike me as more masculine. I'd never wear something like pink or red, although one time a couple of female friends convinced me to let them do some nail art and glue beads and crystals. My masculine black nails suddenly became very sparkly and pretty!

I've rarely had any comments from others. I live near a big city so the unusual is not that as big a deal if I were in, say, a small town. That being said, it does draw looks from people and one time at a train station two women next to me did giggle and make jokes under their breath. Few of my friends have seen me with painted nails (not quite ready to reveal it to everyone), but when I'm out myself I don't hide it in front of strangers. As I said, those people are strangers who I'll never meet again and nobody's going to attack me over nail polish.    

Glad to see other ladies who really don't mind! I'm all for breaking gender standards; women with short hair, men with long. Heels, makeup, pants, nail polish... It's all cool with me! I'd actually love to go out with a guy who wears nail polish. I do find manly men attractive, but some guys pull off the -I don't even know what to call it lol- anyways they look amazing with longer hair or nail polish or whatever.

I am a 31 year old, happily married male. I have worn nail polish of all colors since I was about 13. My wife and I have over 500 colors and also use stamps and stickers. 

There are VERY few men who wear polish, and FAR fewer that wear anything other than black, or only on one nail, or only on the toes (actually not too uncommon).

Gender roles and stereotypes are strong. Especially ones that limit men. So strong and pervasive, I might be scolded here for saying that. 

I have a nail blog that I am starting back up for 3 reasons: 1. it's fun, 2. I got a new camera and the pics look good. And 3. I want to show that straight men can wear nail-polish and you don't have to be a cross dresser. But what is a "cross dresser" anyway? Aren't almost all women cross-dressers when they wear pants?

edit: no blog links, please -kawaiimeows

Back