Need tips on how to use make-up to mask my droopy eyelid

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a rare disease called Maxillopalpebral Synkinesis, and one of the symptoms of that is my right eyelid is droopy.

I always wear glasses because I think it diverts attention away from the fact that my eyelids aren't even.

However, I do have contacts, but I don't like to wear them because I use my glasses as a safety blanket.

If I do wear make-up, I always use black eyeliner and some cream black eyeshadow that I apply less of on my left eye to make them look more even.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to spend a lot on make-up. The basics is pretty much it.

Another note, surgery is not really an option for me and my particular condition. I've had to live with this since birth.

Do you have any tips for me as to how to make my eyes seem more symmetrical?

Here is a visual (I'm on the left, obviously [might have to scroll horizontally]).

4tifmh2.jpg

Thanks!

Hey! You look cute here, is it prom? Welcome to MUT by the way.

Anyway, I don't have any tips myself but I did find this information:

To make your eyes look less droopy: You can lift down-turned eyes with makeup. Apply shadow to the outer corner of the lid, extending color up & out like a feline shape. Add a light highligher color to brow bone & skip the eyeliner -- it will only accentuate the 'droopy' contour. Apply mascara, concentrating on the inner corner of the eye. Lastly, you can try smudging a silver show on the inner corners of the eyes to help 'lift' them.

Make Your Eyes Looks Closer Together, Farther Apart, Bigger, Rounder or Oval

and

Drooping eyes

Use darker tones on the inside of the upper lid; use lighter shades on the outside to lift the eye. Avoid using dark shades on the lower lid.

Supermodel make-up tips

I hope that helps you!

I think you look gorgeous by the way... love your prom pic, so cute.

I don't know what to do for makeup, but i know what to do if you are in public and having your pics taken.

you pose left side forward, one foot in front of the other, 45 degree angle chin slanted down side ways towards the camera, big lippy smile, one hand on your waste, and there you have it! glam pose! it works for miss paris hilton, she has the same sort of thing, and she's an icon now!

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think you look gorgeous by the way... love your prom pic, so cute.
I don't know what to do for makeup, but i know what to do if you are in public and having your pics taken.

you pose left side forward, one foot in front of the other, 45 degree angle chin slanted down side ways towards the camera, big lippy smile, one hand on your waste, and there you have it! glam pose! it works for miss paris hilton, she has the same sort of thing, and she's an icon now!

Thank you! That was a very good tip, I never know the best way to stand when posing.

Curl the lashes from your droppey eyelid only. then use max factor lash lift on both eyes, but make sure you put more coats on the droppy eye.

Lovely picture of you and your friend. You look beautiful.

I read somewhere if you arch your brows it makes your eyes open up. I started arching mine a few years ago. I also fill them in with a brow pencil. Having more pronounced brows seem to lengthen a girl's face.

Also try using a bright cream colored shadow on your brow bones. Really light colors at the brow seem to open eyes as well.

I hope this may help!

Let me just say that I don't have an answer for you but you have beautiful eyes!!

I had a similar situation when I had Graves' Disease-one eye became larger looking because the lid pulled back.

So this is what I did (kinda labor intensive):

On larger eye-use (what ever color) liner on inside of upper (under lash line) and inside of lower lid only. No liner above or below the lashes. This is going to make this eye look smaller (oh well).

On smaller eye-use flesh/white colored liner on inside of upper and lower lid (so it's opposite of what you put on the other eye). Then, use the dark liner that you used on the larger eye above and below the lashes (where you would conventionally use liner). Extend the upper liner a bit past the eye. This will make this eye look a teeny bit larger.

As Perlanga mentioned, curl the lashes on the smaller eye only, mascara on both upper and lower lashes.

And give a slight arch to your right eye, to lift it up.

What I also did was to give myself long bangs that swept over my smaller eye, hiding the top half of it. So if I don't wear makeup, it's less noticable and a lot less labor intensive.

Originally Posted by pkittie /img/forum/go_quote.gif I had a similar situation when I had Graves' Disease-one eye became larger looking because the lid pulled back.
So this is what I did (kinda labor intensive):

On larger eye-use (what ever color) liner on inside of upper (under lash line) and inside of lower lid only. No liner above or below the lashes. This is going to make this eye look smaller (oh well).

On smaller eye-use flesh/white colored liner on inside of upper and lower lid (so it's opposite of what you put on the other eye). Then, use the dark liner that you used on the larger eye above and below the lashes (where you would conventionally use liner). Extend the upper liner a bit past the eye. This will make this eye look a teeny bit larger.

As Perlanga mentioned, curl the lashes on the smaller eye only, mascara on both upper and lower lashes.

And give a slight arch to your right eye, to lift it up.

What I also did was to give myself long bangs that swept over my smaller eye, hiding the top half of it. So if I don't wear makeup, it's less noticable and a lot less labor intensive.

After Graves, my eyes never went back to normal. I had eye surgery to try to correct the bags but I will have sorta bug eyes.
N

^^

I wish that both of my eyes went buggy, so that they were even (and bigger!). But it's finally relaxed after 20 years. However, when I'm really stressed out, it'll look buggy again.

The bags? That's going to be a cosmetic surgery that I'm going have to pay for (but I can't rationalize paying for it-rather go on a vacation).

Originally Posted by pkittie /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^^
I wish that both of my eyes went buggy, so that they were even (and bigger!). But it's finally relaxed after 20 years. However, when I'm really stressed out, it'll look buggy again.

The bags? That's going to be a cosmetic surgery that I'm going have to pay for (but I can't rationalize paying for it-rather go on a vacation).

Are you sure about the surgery? My insurance covered it. Sure it was cosmetic, but both my eye doctor and plastic surgeon agreed that the terrible bags under my eyes and the pinchable amount of extra skin on my lids was from Graves and had never gone back to normal since having the disease. Did you go thru the iodine treatment?
N

I had Kaiser at the time, and young + stupid. I was irradiated. Had that toxic glow
wink.gif
. I suppose it's been so long, that they would just attribute my bags to age (I'm 42) + genetics (all the ladies in my family have them). Doesn't bother me that much, except when I'm tired-then I'm Princess Bullfrog. I have a good heath plan now, should look into it.

Originally Posted by pkittie /img/forum/go_quote.gif I had Kaiser at the time, and young + stupid. I was irradiated. Had that toxic glow
wink.gif
. I suppose it's been so long, that they would just attribute my bags to age (I'm 42) + genetics (all the ladies in my family have them). Doesn't bother me that much, except when I'm tired-then I'm Princess Bullfrog. I have a good heath plan now, should look into it. Well, it's worth a shot. I turn 47 this year and had surgery just 3 years ago. I was originally diagnosed in about 1990-91. Was nuked in about 1996-97. Started on synthroid in about 2001, became diabetic in about 2003 and insulin depending in 2004. Oye, those autoimmune diseases.

Don't go through surgery to fix your droopy eyelid, just get long side-swept bangs to cover your left eye.

you look gr8 in that prom pic dear

i dunno abt yor problem but i had i ssue of droopy uper eye lids i did try these sort of tips but eith the passageof time the droppy ness of my eyes head to extream and i start feeelin so inconfident and so unconfritable later on it sstarting paining me... few months back i had a surgery from Dr amya prasad a dr from New YOrk and now am feelin much better the drropy ness is almost gone he says it will be ended by the pasage of time hope my this source of information helps u out if u need more then visit puffyeyes.com

GOOD luCk

Back