Paula Begoun, The "Cosmetics Cop"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like others have already mentioned, she's definitely a hold over from way back in the day.

I'm very glad that she's still keeping her reviews up to date.  I'd be lost otherwise.

I'd hate to rely on beauty and fashion publications for information.  They often feature products that don't do what the claim.  It's as if they don't test the products or even do any research regarding the ingredients before they publish recommendations.

I also ignore beauty publications like Allure because they are beholden to their advertisers. They love EVERYTHING that Cover Girl, Maybelline, and Revlon put out -- 'cuz Cover Girl, Maybelline and Revlon pay for at least 1/3 of the advertising space that keeps their publication up and running.

^ feel the same way. I got a free subscription to allure and it's just a waste of paper--I care more about user reviews than what a product-placement publication recommends. at least with fashion magazines like harper's bazaar, the ads contribute aesthetic and style. it's less trying to sell you specific products, and more selling you an image that you resonate with.

I wonder if instant access to reviews has forced companies to focus more on product quality than they did back in the day. I'd hate walking into a drugstore pre-internet and literally having no idea what's good and what isn't.

Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am intrigued by her new BHA9, but I think $35 for .3 oz is a tad bit ridiculous, so I haven't bought it...yet.  That may be one that I actually fork over the money for eventually. 
I've tried the Resist9 - and it does work to shed thick-skinned areas. It's super pricey, yes, but you can order the trial sizes for $3 I think...which is what I ordered....ounce for ounce the trial sizes are the same as the full sized. The trial size was the size a of a small perfume sample vial. It's this oily concoction. The $3 vial lasted me about week using it as spot treatments. 

for me it turned over the skin (shedding) to clean up healed blemishes. It's not a must have, but I haven't run into a similar product anywhere else. 

I've bought stuff from her brand, but never visited her content site. I bought her, "Don't go to the cosmetics counter with me" book, and liked how she researched various ingredients yes/no irritating ... what ingredient purposes are....it's made me feel more confident about reading cosmetic ingredient labels and also making my own toners, masks and peels. 

That said, I see her make-up advise as being a little too conservative and '1950's mom' for my taste - but those are her style opinions, and she entitled to them. Her cosmetics ingredient 'lectures' are grounded in fact with cited academic research articles...which I do appreciate. 

Everybody personal likes and dislikes affect their reviews since it is all just opinion.

In the 80's one color to 15 colors were the way to go, since the rule was if you think you have enough use more.

I thought the sample size was just a packet (a lot of her samples are), which is why I haven't bothered purchasing it as I don't care for packets.  Thanks for letting me know otherwise!  I have sebaceous hyperplasia - which is essentially oil glands that are overactive and get too large and pop out of the pore - and one of the claims of the BHA9 is that it will shrink the bumps.  I have a feeling that it may be too good to be true as my derm told me the only way to get rid of them is by having them burned or lasered off, but I would still like to try it.  I haven't seen a similar product anywhere else either.  My sis in law is an aesthetician and she told me that she could get me the salicylic chemical peel solution and that should have the same effect, but I'm afraid of burning my skin with a peel. 

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've tried the Resist9 - and it does work to shed thick-skinned areas. It's super pricey, yes, but you can order the trial sizes for $3 I think...which is what I ordered....ounce for ounce the trial sizes are the same as the full sized. The trial size was the size a of a small perfume sample vial. It's this oily concoction. The $3 vial lasted me about week using it as spot treatments. 

for me it turned over the skin (shedding) to clean up healed blemishes. It's not a must have, but I haven't run into a similar product anywhere else. 

Sorry to dredge this up out of last year, but I have enjoyed reading this and have my own two cents to add.

What I like:

I for the most part really appreciate and value Paula's website and her reviews. But here are the best things about her brand in my opinion:

1. Her website rates not only her own brand, but many others, allowing you to find a similar, perhaps cheaper item that she rates just as well as her own. Likewise, you can look up products you are already using to see what she thinks of them, which is in my opinion, kind of cool.

2. She has so much information on products- from full ingredients, what the ingredients mean/do, other people's reviews, etc. It's a busy researcher's heaven!

3. All her products are going to be formulated based on what she rates as best, which is good to know.

4. All her products have included information on the scientific studies. This is freaking amazing!

5. You can buy sample-sizes of almost every one of her products. This is awesome!

6. You get free shipping no matter the cost. (Plus, if you spend over $5, you get 3 free samples). Her shipping is SUPER fast!

7. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how SPF is really important to her. It is to me too.

8. I love the way you can add not just her products but other brands' products to your 'love list' and then it tallies it up based on type of product.

9. I also love how you can compare two or more products on her website using her 'compare' tool. That is nifty!

10. I ADORE how her brand is cruelty free!!!!

What I dislike:

1. Harping on irritants, when some essential oils are safe to be applied directly to the skin (such as lavender and tea tree). Although I say this, I also appreciate her studying the irritants as my skin is sensitive. It's kind of ... hypocritical of me!

2. Her overuse of silicone in skincare and makeup. It's one of those things my skin doesn't like!

However, I just have looked at her website- I don't actually have any of her books. Also, I never use her reviews on makeup as that is just a personal style matter. 

Quote:Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry to dredge this up out of last year, but I have enjoyed reading this and have my own two cents to add.

Very good points. I love that Paula's reviews exist. I like knowing which $5 products are just as good as $50 products, and also when the $50 product is really worth the money and I'm not just spending the extra $45 on the name. She gave a bad review to my favorite mascara (it's now discontinued) several years ago. I read the review and understood the reason for the bad rating (it was VERY difficult to remove), but it still remained my favorite and I appreciated knowing it was otherwise a good product.

Quote: Originally Posted by LoriTG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've never heard of her but I'm gonna go look her up now
Hi Lori...  same with me.. I will have to look her up too.

Merry Christmas

Back