What daily supplements, pills, meds, etc. do you take??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take a multivitamin, b complex with c and acidophilus <---stuff found in yogurt....promotes good intestine health and good bacteria the kind that keeps yeast infections at bay....

I take Vivida skin supplimets which are great anti ager's and regenerate the skin, perfect for women in my age group.Great results!

Daily I take:

Birth control pill

Grape seed extract

Coenzyme Q10

MSM

Garlic

Liquid vitamins

The Essential Woman, organic oils (for my hormones)

Pro bars

Colloidal silver

Cal/mag

Melatonin

Ambrotose

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa Daily I take:
Birth control pill

Grape seed extract

Coenzyme Q10

MSM

Garlic

Liquid vitamins

The Essential Woman, organic oils (for my hormones)

Pro bars

Colloidal silver

Cal/mag

Melatonin

Ambrotose

Finally someone that takes a lot like me!!!
smile.gif
What are the MSM, Colloidal Silver, Malatonin, and Ambrotose used for Lisa?

Originally Posted by AprilRayne Finally someone that takes a lot like me!!!
smile.gif
What are the MSM, Colloidal Silver, Malatonin, and Ambrotose used for Lisa? Oops, I missed this so sorry I didn't reply sooner. Please, forgive.
I take MSM as a natural, general pain reliever and for the muscle spasms I sometimes get due to my scoliosis. It's also good for the skin and helps reduce and prevent scarring. It's good for a long list of things actually.

Colloidal silver is a natural antibiotic and has been reported to kill 650 micro-organisms, many of which are associated with human diseases.

Melatonin is a hormone that is secreted in the brain and stimulated to be released when we are in the dark. As we age, the production of it decreases. Studies also show that decreased melatonin production is associated with the onset of many degenerative diseases. I could have just said, "I take it to help me sleep at night," but I like to blah blah blah, sorry.

Ambrotose is a glyconutrional supplement designed to give the cells of the human body the nutrients they need in order to function and communicate properly. When our cells get the nutrients they were designed to have (but are unfortunately uncommon in modern diets) the result is a strong immune system and a healthy body that can heal, correct, and repair itself. If I had to choose just one supplement, this would without a doubt be it! I've been taking it for about 7 years now and it has helped strengthen my immune system.

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa Oops, I missed this so sorry I didn't reply sooner. Please, forgive.
I take MSM as a natural, general pain reliever and for the muscle spasms I sometimes get due to my scoliosis. It's also good for the skin and helps reduce and prevent scarring. It's good for a long list of things actually.

Colloidal silver is a natural antibiotic and has been reported to kill 650 micro-organisms, many of which are associated with human diseases.

Melatonin is a hormone that is secreted in the brain and stimulated to be released when we are in the dark. As we age, the production of it decreases. Studies also show that decreased melatonin production is associated with the onset of many degenerative diseases. I could have just said, "I take it to help me sleep at night," but I like to blah blah blah, sorry.

Ambrotose is a glyconutrional supplement designed to give the cells of the human body the nutrients they need in order to function and communicate properly. When our cells get the nutrients they were designed to have (but are unfortunately uncommon in modern diets) the result is a strong immune system and a healthy body that can heal, correct, and repair itself. If I had to choose just one supplement, this would without a doubt be it! I've been taking it for about 7 years now and it has helped strengthen my immune system.

Wow, thanks Lisa!! I'll have to look into those!!

I had a baby 7 wks. ago and im still taking my Prenatal Vitamins (OPTI-NATE) Which I would highly reccomend... they are good even if you arnt pregnant.

Originally Posted by AprilRayne What supplements, pills, medications, herbs, minerals, etc. do you take on a daily basis??? Also, put what it's for if it's an uncommon one!!
I take everyday (If I remember):

birth control pill, weight loss pill called LookSlim, calcium, prenatal vitamins, biotin 6500mcg, oil capsules (flax, fish and borage) for hair, skin and nails, CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid for weight loss), Carb intercept (with white kidney bean extract to neutralize carbs), sugar blocker, coconut oil capsule, apple cider vinegar capsule, vitamin C, garlic capsule, advil occasionally, Tylenol PM, occasionaly.

I think that's all, but if I think of anything else, I'll add it later.

This looks like alot when I see it written!!!

What's yours????

WOW, that is a LOT!!!! How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Originally Posted by mehrunissa A multi-vitamin for women, though I'm looking for a OTC prenatal one (I'm not pregnant, I've just heard/read how it does wonders for hair and skin!). Also, biotin for my hair and iron, because I'm prone to anemia. Occassionally I'll take a fish oil capsule. Prenatal vitamins are pretty much like multivitamins, except that it has more folate in it... :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Andi only my birth control pills.I don´t really believe in taking to many supplements as long as you´re healthy. I feel better about myself if I eat healthy and my blood samples always come back ok so I guess I don´t need to take anything special.

I agree with you Andi. There is a wave of hypervitaminosis (excess vitamins) in America. What people don't know is that EXCESSIVE vitamins in your blood CAN MAKE YOU SICK!!!! It doesnt occur from one day to the other but after 5-6 years of vitamin supplementation on top of the vitamins you already get in your diet, it can happen.If you eat fruits, vegetables, and healthy portions of lean meat and fish, you do not need vitamin supplementation.

The only patients I have seen that were sick because of lack of a specific vitamin were the malnourished kids in brazil, and even then, it was quite rare.

Also, vitamin supplementation does not improve appetite, they dont make you lose or gain weight, they dont prevent diseases or infections. These are common myths.

Sorry for being so blunt but there are so many myths out there and I just feel like I have to spread the truth. LOL

Originally Posted by Wildflower65 I take: 1 multi vitamin, B complex, flax oil, omega 3, calcium, chromium, & magnesium. I have great hair, strong long nails and much improved skin! Not to mention low cholesterol, evened out sugar level, and no vitamin deficiencies even if I don't eat balanced meals. Rarely have food cravings especially none for chocolate. Used to crave chocolate like crazy!
daz.gif
Here's one more exemple: You probably get enough magnesium in your diet, and unless you have a critical illness or take specific medications (like .furosemide), you will probably never be magnesium-deficient. On the other hand, too much magnesium in your blood can give you a cardiac arrythmia and kill you...

Choose your supplements wisely, girls!!

I take: Ibuprofen once or twice a month as needed for menstrual cramps.
smile.gif
That's all folks. LOL

Thais, I'm 26!! You probably thought I was like 50 or something because of everything I took!! I'll have you know, that I've taken your advice and cut out everything except, of course, my birth control and my prenatal vitamins!! I want to start trying to get pregnant in Dec. so I'm cutting out everything I don't need and then I'll go off of bc too!! You don't even take a vitamin or folate or anything? You must have a very healthy diet! I've heard that every woman that is child bearing age should take folate even if they're not trying to get pregnant just in case!! Speaking of which, I'm sure it's none of my business, but you didn't mention birth control, may I ask what method you use, I'm curious because you are a Dr. and I'm questioning whether or not hormonal bc is a good or bad choice!!

Originally Posted by AprilRayne Thais, I'm 26!! You probably thought I was like 50 or something because of everything I took!! I'll have you know, that I've taken your advice and cut out everything except, of course, my birth control and my prenatal vitamins!! I want to start trying to get pregnant in Dec. so I'm cutting out everything I don't need and then I'll go off of bc too!! You don't even take a vitamin or folate or anything? You must have a very healthy diet! I've heard that every woman that is child bearing age should take folate even if they're not trying to get pregnant just in case!! Speaking of which, I'm sure it's none of my business, but you didn't mention birth control, may I ask what method you use, I'm curious because you are a Dr. and I'm questioning whether or not hormonal bc is a good or bad choice!! Hi, I am glad to hear that.
smile.gif
The reason why it is recommended that women of childbearing age take prenatal vitamins is not because we dont eat enough folic acid in our diets, but because one can never know when we may get pregnant! LOL> Folic acid supplementation for a couple of months before pregnancy and during pregnancy has been shown to decrease the incidence of central nervous system (CNS) malformations in the babies, such as anencephaly. So it is not because you have folate deficiency, but because, if you get pregnant, the extra folate may decrease your chances of having an anencephalic baby. Now, I personally do not recommend prenatal vitamins to all of my female patients, but if they come to me and tell me they are planning on having a baby, then it is totally indicated.The reason why some people recommend it to all women is that, as you know, "accidents" happen, and you may get pregnant without any planning, and if you do, you will be already on your prenatal vitamins.

The folate does not prevent CNS malformations, just decreases the chances.

I do not have a super healthy diet, I am actually very picky, but still, it will be almost impossible for someone to get a vitamin deficiency unless they are actually malnourished or they have a medical condition that predisposes them to this.

Taking a vitamin everyday is ok. Taking a vitamin everyday for several years in a row AND stil ingesting enough amounts of vitamins in the diet may be dangerous in the long run ( we are talking about 5-10 years here).

With regards to contraceptive methods, there are several good ones. Of course, condoms give you the extra protection against STDs, and I always recommend condoms even though I know only a few people follow this recommendation. If used correctly, condoms are highly effective.

Hormonal methods are very effective too, however, if you are overweight, the pill may not be as effective for you as it is for someone that had a lower weight. Risks of hormonal methods such as birth control pill are development of deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, especially if you are a smoker and/or above the age of 35 (if you are young and not a smoker the risk is preeeety low). It can also cause irregular bleeding, and some fluid retention. In the other hand, they are great if you suffer from menstrual cramps. Problem is: you need to take it religiously.

There are also patches, progesterone injections, and the new vaginal ring. These are all effective as well.

Another method is a intra uterine devide (IUD), that is placed inside your uterus by your gynecologist. Very effective as well. It works by preventing the embryo from "attaching" to your endometrium (as in the copper IUD) or by making the endometrium more atrophic and therefore also preventing successful implantation of the embryo (as in the progesterone IUD). Problems of the IUD is that it can cause a bit of bleeding, it can get dislodged, and people with IUDs have higher risks of ectopic pregnancies pregnancy outside of the uterus, like in you falopian tubes for instance, and higher incidences of pelvic inflammatory disease. All these risks are low but they exist.

As you can see there are pros and cons of every method. I should also mention that taking a birth control pill decreases your risks of developing ovarian cancer in the future, but might increase chances of breast cancer slightly.

These are all appropriate options. You have to choose what feels best for yourself.
smile.gif

Hope this helps.

Thais

Originally Posted by AprilRayne Thais, I'm 26!! You probably thought I was like 50 or something because of everything I took!! I'll have you know, that I've taken your advice and cut out everything except, of course, my birth control and my prenatal vitamins!! I want to start trying to get pregnant in Dec. so I'm cutting out everything I don't need and then I'll go off of bc too!! You don't even take a vitamin or folate or anything? You must have a very healthy diet! I've heard that every woman that is child bearing age should take folate even if they're not trying to get pregnant just in case!! Speaking of which, I'm sure it's none of my business, but you didn't mention birth control, may I ask what method you use, I'm curious because you are a Dr. and I'm questioning whether or not hormonal bc is a good or bad choice!! yes as far as I know women should start talking folate whenever they consider starting to try getting pregnant so they have high enough folate levels which are very important for the development of the baby´s brain and nervous system.
edit: oops I realized Thais already answered this LOL

and yeah I agree with you on hypervitaminosis, Thais. The pharmaceutical industry generates the idea that you absolutely "need" this or that additional vitamin to prevent diseases. I know people who take bigger amounts of Ascorbin Acid each day to prevent getting respiratorical infections or whatever they´re afraid of getting.

also my dad is a hypochondriac prefers to take several kinds of vitamins rather than stopping to smoke and loosing weight LOL

I take meds for diabetes, depression, and anxiety disorder, so right there are too many to want to count. Then I take Omega3(4-6)a multivitamin, calcium, Vitamnin C, B6 and B12, Zinc,lamictal,cytomel, inositol, and most recently started taking extra iron.

Back