What kinda foundation for acne prone skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like shiseido's perfect refining foundation, goes on really smooth not as much chemicals

I agree that mineral foundations ARE much better for the skin, however, many also have crap ingredients in them which are NOT good for the skin. It's gotten to the point now that anything which is loose powder is called a 'mineral makeup', yet they truly are not. In addition, please be aware that Bare Escentuals (sp?) causes many women to break out in rashes, dermatitis and even more acne. That's because it has bismuth oxychloride in it, which is a very common allergen. This is not because they have 'sensitive skin'. It's because they ingredient itself is allergenic. I have read this on the internet time and time again, women and their experiences with products with bismuth oxychloride, especially Bare Escentuals. Look for a foundation free of this ingredient, as well as silicones (including dimethicone etc) and mineral oils, if at all possible. And it definitely is. Juice Beauty makes one with none of those ingredients and is a mineral liquid foundation actually, however, I have not tried it myself as of yet. I have tried their skin care ingredients, however, and have found them to be spectacular. I am writing this as a person who also has acne prone skin.

I have ordered the Premium Foundation base mix and Premium Concealer Base just last week from the Conservatorie to try out, hoping I can just tweak it to save me time mixing my own, as it has good ingredients in it and is free from irritants. 30 grams or so for about $5 to $6. CHEAP. Yet they put nothing irritating in there. You can mix it to your own skin tone with bulk oxides (natural colorants) which you can also buy from them, Coastal Scents, TKB and other places. Or even their ready mixed foundation - with the color already in there - foundation has equally as good ingredients in it. Concealer too. Their prices are good as well. Meow Cosmetics also makes mineral makeup, including foundations, which I have tried personally and which I have found are good. http://meowcosmetics.com  Theirs comes in so many shades that you WILL find a match, and it comes in different coverages as well, from light to full. It also comes in a very large jar. They have also got over 300 loose mineral eye shadow colors, and they are very good. I have some of those as well and love them. Sign up for their emails and get discount codes mailed to you regularly.

Monave also has some nice products which a lot of women like. You can check them on Facebook and their website at http://www.monave.com I believe it is. They are also very helpful, as I have recently discovered. If you have any questions, email them. They will get back to you with the info you need. I just tested out 25 of their new eye shadows which they were sending out to people free who were willing to review them and who were on their customer list and found them to be very finely milled and nicely made.

I started making my own mineral foundation, as well as 'primer', finishing powder, setting mist, etc, after trying several brands and not being *quite* satisfied with the results. I am far more happy with my own, but there are some good brands out there that are FAR better than Bare Escentuals (sp?) in regards to quality, as well as far cheaper. Really hoping this base from the Conservatorie is as good as it sounds from the stuff they put in it and that I can start custom mixing my own color from that. Tired of mixing my own base, I tell you....

Originally Posted by GraceGirl7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have acne prone, oily skin, and I love Revlon's Colorstay foundation. In fact, when I don't wear it, I break out. It's noncomedegenic which means it won't clog pores. It really helps control my breakouts and oily skin. (And the coverage is great!!)
I would go with Lycogel

I use Dinair Airbrush Makeup and I'm in love with their stuff! It is all water based so it does not clog my pores! It is wonderful!!

I have T-zone skin where the dry areas aren't too bad but the oily areas are very oily.  I'm also prone to breakouts, especially hormonal ones.  For years I gave up on wearing foundations until I discovered BE and fell in love.  I used that for about two years, and it did help my skin, but then my skin seemed to change a bit due to health reasons and my tone changed a bit.  After that even with good moisturizer and primer it seemed to really dry out the dry spots, cake on the oily areas, and was very hard for me to blend the right tone.  Happily my salon custom blends their own line of mineral makeup including powder and liquid foundations.  Since they can not only customize the color for me but also somewhat the formula, this helped a lot.  It is a bit expensive, like $50 per foundation, so I only buy it when they have a special going. 

Sad to say I only "discovered" MAC in the last year or so when my makeup obsession really started so I can't comment on the Studio Fix, but I've had very good luck with their new Matchmaster foundation, and I use their Mineralize Skinfinish Natural to set.  

where in canada (toronto) could i buy prescriptives? how much is the one ur telling that is safe for oily, acne prone skin? thanks

I currently use Hello Flawless by Benefit

Amazing coverage and it feels good on your skin :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I suggest you check it out.... 

I'm going to try the MAC Studio Fix to see how that is, but i'll keep a Hello Flawless foundation as a backup, just incase ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I think since you have oily skin, your best bet is to use powder foundation. I have a combination of both, but most of the time my skin is dry and I still use powder foundation. 

Why? Because I have always liked powder foundation over liquid foundation. To me it's more of a natural finish... 

Usually, I apply a moisturizer before putting on my powder foundation so that my skin remains healthy. 

I am a firm believer in skin care, so make sure you keep using good skin care products to take care of your face! 

I totally understand you I was is your shoes not that long ago but now my skin is so much better!! Thanks to make up forever it's good coverage and feels so light i also loved there HD primer it made my pours tiny I love it! I also love Clinique almost powder it is really great! Now my skin is so much better I don't have to wear foundation!! Try this it will really work also if you don't feel like wearing foundation I used make up forever matte velvet with a little of my every day moisturizer it work so well I really recommend this

Back