Sign in to follow this  
chelsbot92

(SPOILERS) IPSY MARCH 2013

My bag is finally out for delivery today! I'm really excited about the pallet. I literally only own the eyeshadows that I got from the last Ipsy bag so I'll definitely be needing to buy a few more to fill up the pallet!

Originally Posted by puppyluv View Post

I am loving my mini palette! I filled it up last night. I am now determined to make myself a bigger one for the rest of my shadows that aren't in palettes. I have this crazy addiction to organizing things like this.

I've had some big magnetic sheets that I bought awhile ago from the dollar store for only $1. They are supposed to be vent covers to stop drafts, but the vents I bought them for weren't magnetic. I finally have a use for them now! I just need a cute container of some kind.I'm not really feeling the look of the old CD/DVD cases so I'm keeping my eye out for something a lil nicer.

I've got an idea based on the DIY version above and one for hiding keys. Why not take an old book - you can find a yard sales, 2nd hand shops, flea markets - for $1 or less then hollow it out. I haven't made one before but here's what you'll need for such a project.

• Glue - white school glue to glue the pages together
  • Water
  • Bowl
  • Paint brush
  • Craft knife (about $4.99 depending on where you buy one)
  • Metal, plastic or wood ruler
  • Pencil or pen for marking
  • Wrapping paper or scrapbook paper (optional) OR
  • Paint (optional)
  • Deco Podge ($4.99; optional)

OR

• Duct tape ($4.99 roll) + Duct tape sheet ($1.99 each sheet)

If you already have magnetic sheets then take it and use it as your guide inside the book. With pen or pencil outline the area you want to cut for your magnetic sheet. In the bowl mix the water and glue together to create a thin paste, after I began writing this I decided to find a DIY guide on making a hollow book since I wasn't sure on the water to glue ratio and one site said 50-50 to 70-30 (70 glue, 30 water).

With the paint brush dip it into the glue-water mixture and brush the edges of the book while closed so the paper can absorb the mixture. The DIY article states to keep a spacer between the first few pages and area you want to dry but in our case you want to put the spacer just between the cover and pages since it's not meant to be for hiding things but rather as a makeup palette. Weight it down so the pages can dry together.

Once dry take the rules to the line you drew earlier and with the craft knife begin to cut out the area for your magnet. If you used a thinner book this won't take too much time to do. Once hollowed out you're going to need to make more glue-water mixture for the inside and paint the inside with that mixture. You'll need to allow that to dry again before you can decorate the outside of the book if you want.

If you choose to decorate the book then you can paint it or cover it with Deco Podge (I have a glitter one) and paper of your choice. OR the other way is to use two duct tape sheets ($1.99 each) for the front and back cover of the book with the normal duct tape for the spine. Depending on how big of a book you used you may only need two duct tape sheets. What method you choose is obviously your choice.

If you choose not to paint or cover it then you will need to either glue the magnet inside the book OR if it's a sticker magnet just peel the paper and adhere it to inside the book. Viola! You have a cheap DIY makeup palette.

If you want a magnetic closing book then you just need to get two thin strips of magnets for the inside cover and the top of the pages. Another idea that came to me were those magnets "buttons" (I think these are called disc magnets and are around the size of a paper punch hole) and with a hole punch punch out the amount of paper that one magnet is BEFORE you glue the pages together. After you glue the pages as above insert the magnet into the hold then let dry. Once everything else is done you can either put a metal round sticker to the inside book cover for the magnet to grab or if it came with a 2nd piece to put that there. If you really want to be cheap then use the magnets off another sample like from one of theBalm samples since it has a magnet.

Originally Posted by Baberanza View Post

Seems you finally got a bag on time! Happy for you, lol!

I did! haha, nice of you to notice!! A whole 10 days earlier than normal thanks to the new shipping!!

My bag didn't have bleeding colors.  I'm glad for that.

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss View Post

I got my bag and will do a tiny review here before I do it on my blog: I like the bag, don't like the fact that the blue bled into the white.... 

Originally Posted by princess2010 View Post

Blah. My bag didn't come today. It was in Orlando yesterday so it should have been here today. I'm so impatient.

Me too!  My bag arrived in Orlando on Saturday morning,so I thought I might get it earlier than expected (I'm in Gainesville).  But for some reason, on Saturday afternoon it went to the Jacksonvsille post office and it has been sitting there ever since.  I was supposed to receive it today, and I'm still hoping for it, but my tracking page hasn't updated to say it is out for delivery.  Sigh.  Hope you get yours soon!   

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie View Post

I am OBSESSED with that palette...I just stare at it...I take my time picking what color I want to wear....too much color goodness lol!

On a side note....I did it...o gracious...I created a blog! Haha! Well my hubby is out of town, so I can! I told him on the phone tonight that I created one and he said: "O good grief, save us all." lol...I just love that man rolleyes.gif

It looks very nice! A note about the Yaby shipping-- it is not 25.00 but only 6.80 for orders under 60, over 60.00 shipping is free :)

Originally Posted by mindcaviar View Post

It looks very nice! A note about the Yaby shipping-- it is not 25.00 but only 6.80 for orders under 60, over 60.00 shipping is free :)

Really? I looked at shipping prices at it said $25 for US shipping??? blink.gif Am I going crazy? lol

Really? I looked at shipping prices at it said $25 for US shipping??? :blink: Am I going crazy? lol
I saw that insane shipping rate, too, which was when I asked about group orders because there's no way I would pay that, but if I could split the cost with a few other people, it would be tolerable.

Really? I looked at shipping prices at it said $25 for US shipping??? blink.gif Am I going crazy? lol

I saw $11.80 or something like that XD

Swatches and a little "look" with Sand Dune and So Vain:

I applied the cream shade from the Night Elf Wet n Wild palette to my brow bone an dinner eye corner, Sand Dune all over my lid and So Vein to the crease, it looked much better IRL 

• Like 1

I just double checked on Yaby's site and with a single $3.15 eyeshadow refill it says:

Canada Post - No tracking, 1-3 weeks (Small Packets Air) $11.80

UPS - (Worldwide Standard) $24.90

Canada Post - No tracking, 1-3 weeks (Xpresspost USA) Delivery in 3 days* $33.14

UPS - (Worldwide Express) Next day delivery* $59.91

FREE SHIPPING TO CANADA & US ON ORDERS OVER $75 OR MORE

Mindcaviar, where did you get your prices from?

I applied the cream shade from the Night Elf Wet n Wild palette to my brow bone an dinner eye corner, Sand Dune all over my lid and So Vein to the crease, it looked much better IRL 

That looks super pretty!

• Like 1

That is FABULOUS on you! Love it!

So I got my Ipsy bag today and wow that palette is TINY. I was anticipating something the size of Z Palette's small (what I've been calling their mini) palettes and it's smaller than Z Palettes. Z Palettes small palette holds nine 1" pans while Glam RX mini holds two 1" pans. A third pan possibly may fit but I couldn't get a third one in.

I love that look, Gabi!  I'm going to have to try it! (maybe with mary lou-manizer for the cream shade... )

(and I deleted out the pics so my reply wasn't HUGE, lol!)

This month was so meh for me... The juice "moisturizer" seems more like a toner and was very irritating to my skin. I find the eyeshadow and tiny pallet to be cute, though. The make-up remover wipes worked no better than a regular baby wipe and were so irritating to my skin - they went immediatel into the trash. I've only had a subscription for 2 or 3 months. I was hoping for more make-up products, which is why I quit Birchbox and joined Ipsy. If I was able to use the products (totally not their fault - my skin is impossible) I would be happier. But part of the reason I joined is becuase my skin is sensitive and while most makeup works fine I have to be super careful w/ cleansers and moisturizers.  Ah well... maybe next month. I'm hoping for more nail polish. :)

Originally Posted by JC327 View Post

That looks super pretty!

That is FABULOUS on you! Love it!

Thanks guys ^^

Originally Posted by magicalmom View Post

I love that look, Gabi!  I'm going to have to try it! (maybe with mary lou-manizer for the cream shade... )

(and I deleted out the pics so my reply wasn't HUGE, lol!)

I think the Mary Lou would work perfect for the cream shade too XD

Question:

I am trying to gift an Ipsy sub to a friend.

There used to be an option on the site to give a gift, however I can't seem to find it now.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Or did they remove that option since there is a long waitlist now?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

Originally Posted by LisaLeah View Post

Question:

I am trying to gift an Ipsy sub to a friend.

There used to be an option on the site to give a gift, however I can't seem to find it now.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Or did they remove that option since there is a long waitlist now?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

yeah, they probably took it off because of the waitlist.

That's beautiful, Gabi! These colors look really pretty on you <3

I just opened my bag.  I am always so excited to get my ipsy bag that it didn't even dawn on me that I might not like it.  Spoilers:

Eyeshadows - teal and sand, these are okay but tiny and the teal is not a color I would ever wear.

Palette - I had no clue what this was for at first, thank goodness for this site - I thought I was missing the product inside.  This may be fun but I think most of the tiny shadows we get work best in the cases they come in.

Spray - I don't know anyone who uses these.

Wipes - cool if they work.

Bag - like the nautical theme.

I feel like the usual full size product / useful products we normally get are missing.  It really felt like half a bag.  I'm hoping they fix it next month.