Sign in to follow this  
goldenmeans

Birchbox April 2013

Originally Posted by mariahk83 View Post

I think it's cool!  I actually got it on Cyber Monday for $49 - so it was even easier a decision for me!  It does tell you some really neat stuff about your genetics you may not other wise know - like your genetic risk for heart disease, and alzheimers, it also tells you things like drugs you may be more resistant to, or things like noro-virus and HIV you may be immune to!  Obviously, just because you have some genetic markers for things doesn't mean you'll get it...the ancestry thing it neat too!  It tells you based on your genetics where you're most likely from!  So in short, i think it's worth it! 

Awesome, I might order it after my birthday.  I'm curious about my genetics since I've been told I'm a huge mish mash of different nationalities.  I'm interested to see if that's true or if the test even picks that up.

Originally Posted by jessicarobin View Post

Cilantro tastes like soap to me, but I like it.  Weird, right?  I have to stay away from Chipotle because their cilantro rice is addicting.  

I've had bitter brussel sprouts and awesome brussel sprouts... they're the best when they're roasted and crispy, sprinkled with salt and pepper.  Also really good is kale chips, they're really addicting too.

Hehe - I had an image of the show "My Strange Addiction."  Jessicarobin - don't tell me you like to eat soap secretly while reading the threads XP

Originally Posted by jennm149 View Post

I just LOVE the people who -- when I say I don't like cilantro -- tell me that if I just keep trying it, I'll eventually like it.

Uhm, no.  I never got to liking the taste of the LifeBuoy or IrishSpring my mom would wash my mouth out with when I was a kid ... why would I grow to like the taste of cilantro?  Heck, I don't even like the way it smells.

rofl2.gif

Originally Posted by gemstone View Post

I am convinced that people who hate brussel sprouts were all scarred by truly horrible preparations of them! (ie: BOILED!  boiled brussel sprouts are the worst!  why even bother???)

may very well be it too!  my FI HATES them, he let me make them for him for dinner one night and I roasted them with EVOO salt and pepper - he asked for more!  Then went out in a restaurant a few weeks later and hated them (i think they were steamed!)

I can't imagine tasting soap when I eat it!  I think it's so funny!  Same thing with brussel sprouts, people always say their bitter - i've never had a bitter brussel sprout in my life!! haha I too wonder what it tastes like to other people

I love brussel sprouts!! 

I think it's cool!  I actually got it on Cyber Monday for $49 - so it was even easier a decision for me!  It does tell you some really neat stuff about your genetics you may not other wise know - like your genetic risk for heart disease, and alzheimers, it also tells you things like drugs you may be more resistant to, or things like noro-virus and HIV you may be immune to!  Obviously, just because you have some genetic markers for things doesn't mean you'll get it...the ancestry thing it neat too!  It tells you based on your genetics where you're most likely from!  So in short, i think it's worth it! 

That sounds so interesting O.O 

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post

Hehe - I had an image of the show "My Strange Addiction."  Jessicarobin - don't tell me you like to eat soap secretly while reading the threads XP

I don't, but only because I've never tried to, haha. 

... but I guess for me to think cilantro tastes soapy, I must have a frame of reference from somewhere...

LOL No you won't. I know what you're talking about with cilantro. It tastes like soap to me in large quantities - I know when too much is used in salsa. When I make my own salsa I use cilantro but sparingly since it doesn't bug me in small quantities. I also use just the leaf of the plant not the stem which is more bitter and tends to have more of the soap taste.

Originally Posted by jennm149 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMeow View Post

Yep, I still remember the first time I had cilantro, at a Mexican restaurant, and I kept saying "I keep tasting soap in the salsa...I think they didn't wash the bowl correctly."  And everyone thought I was crazy.  The next time we went back, same thing - I kept complaining about them not rinsing their bowls properly, and my friends all thought I was insane.  It wasn't until I went to a different Mexican restaurant and tasted in their salsa, that a friend realized what I was talking about and said "Holy cow, you have the cilantro gene!"  And then I had to look it up because I didn't really believe her.  Makes me wonder what everyone else tastes when they taste it!

I just LOVE the people who -- when I say I don't like cilantro -- tell me that if I just keep trying it, I'll eventually like it.

Uhm, no.  I never got to liking the taste of the LifeBuoy or IrishSpring my mom would wash my mouth out with when I was a kid ... why would I grow to like the taste of cilantro?  Heck, I don't even like the way it smells.

Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post

LOL No you won't. I know what you're talking about with cilantro. It tastes like soap to me in large quantities - I know when too much is used in salsa. When I make my own salsa I use cilantro but sparingly since it doesn't bug me in small quantities. I also use just the leaf of the plant not the stem which is more bitter and tends to have more of the soap taste.

This. I will use cilantro in some things in small quantities. Like in fish tacos, it's delicious, but it has to be only the leaves, and even closer to the tips. My boyfriend loves cilantro so I've gotten used to it. Still hate it most of the time.

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie View Post

We're box twins! I'm not sure about this box yet, I'm excited about a couple of things, but pensive about others....

I've heard so many bad things about the body gel, so we'll see. Nexxus I'm excited to try! StriVectin....well I'm only 27 so...we'll see lol. I am happy to try the Youngblood though! I'm always good with a mattifying product :-) Anyone know if the Weleda is any good? I know nothing about it.

I got this box and this may be what sends me over the edge to just go ahead and cancel BB.

So when I first got my birchbox I had everything set to the true me (21, little money) and I was pretty happy with my boxes -- except I got a perfume sample every month! I think in January I bumped myself up an income levels just to see what would happen. Definitely not as happy now as I was then! I'm considering bumping myself back down to the lowest income level to see if I'll be happier with my boxes..

But I just got hired for a job where I'll actually be a few levels above lowest one! (I posted earlier about an interview, thanks so much for the well wishes guys! Please don't see this as me complaining about having too much money lol unsure.gif) Ultimate awful first world problem that makes me feel really guilty for even posting it: do i put my now "true" income or my little-broke-college student income? 

For reference, I got box 1 this month.

Or, really, are these whole profiles things just a crapshoot? 

Originally Posted by magicalmom View Post

So.... if you're pale, you can still rock the orangey mirenesse. I was amazed at how it looks on me!

Wow! That looks great on you. We have similar coloring, I think, so I am a little sad to not get that sample. Oh well. I just skipped like six pages. Several of you have the same box as me, and I think we are all a little underwhelmed, but not exactly disappointed. I'll need to see the sample sizes, before I decide how to feel. ;) My box has no makeup and one hair product, which I won't use. So, this month I guess it is all about skin care. If I'm honest, they were mostly pretty good at picking out what I would actually like to try, this month. It just isn't very exciting.

Face oil, okay, will try. Probably would not ever buy, as I prefer to stick to Maracuja oil, or coconut oil. I hope the packaging doesn't suck. Caudalie samples in the past have been miniscule, but whatever.

Sounds like a silicone serum, not my thing. Maybe I will give it to my mom.

Anti-wrinkle eye cream, will try. I will only be able to see if it made a difference, if they give me a decent sample size.

Might be nice to have this summer, hard to get excited about right now.

I would like to try this lotion, but it takes a lot of lotion to let me form an opinion. I hope they are generous with the sample size.

Box 23 Twins -- just curious about your box weights.  I'm guessing they are a little light because it's only 5 items to begin with, one of which is tea, but I hope nothing was missing from mine.  My weight was just .467.  Thanks!

Originally Posted by Meahlea View Post

This. I will use cilantro in some things in small quantities. Like in fish tacos, it's delicious, but it has to be only the leaves, and even closer to the tips. My boyfriend loves cilantro so I've gotten used to it. Still hate it most of the time.

I can tolerate it when it's very finely chopped (we use it in pico) and there isn't a ton, but I still taste the soap.  I won't make anything else with it.  My work puts it in a lot of things, and it drives me nuts. Taste buds are funny things.

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

So when I first got my birchbox I had everything set to the true me (21, little money) and I was pretty happy with my boxes -- except I got a perfume sample every month! I think in January I bumped myself up an income levels just to see what would happen. Definitely not as happy now as I was then! I'm considering bumping myself back down to the lowest income level to see if I'll be happier with my boxes..

But I just got hired for a job where I'll actually be a few levels above lowest one! (I posted earlier about an interview, thanks so much for the well wishes guys! Please don't see this as me complaining about having too much money lol unsure.gif) Ultimate awful first world problem that makes me feel really guilty for even posting it: do i put my now "true" income or my little-broke-college student income? 

I am in one of the middle incomes in real life, and my profile is filled out to the "true me". Mid-20s, income that should technically leave me with a considerable amount of disposable income but doesn't thanks to student loans and a high cost of living lol, not a mom, interested in make up/trendy/etc. Anyway, I find I tend to get a lot of the items other people are looking for...I always get a make up item, I think I only get perfume maybe once every 3 months? My boxes usually have 1 haircare, 1 skincare, and 1 make up item, along with an assortment. I don't know if this helps, but I think birchbox really does know what they are doing when it comes to matching our profiles to what they want us to get (ie, to the people who would buy the products, since companies pay to be in the box this is the ultimate goal), even if we don't think so. There has probably been an item once every other month that I've bought the full size in. 

I feel like this is a run on sentence that made sense in my head. 

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

Congratulations on your new job! I remember getting my first good-paying job. It's such a happy memory. That was the first time I really felt like an adult. It feels weird to start doing better financially when other people seem to be struggling more, but we don't all ride the economic waves at the same point. Enjoy it! :)

Originally Posted by latinafeminista View Post

Getting box #13, anyone else with that one? 

https://www.birchbox.com/shop/birchbox-1/april-2013/april-2013-bb13

I'm getting box 13!! I don't think I've seen anyone else with it.  Have you tried the Yes to.. products before?  I'm hoping they're awesome since we are getting THREE of them in one box!!  At least we get six products to review for points :):)

Originally Posted by Brainwall View Post

I'm getting the same box! I'm really excited about it actually. I'm not getting the polish or the mattifier, but I really wanted to try the beauty protector and cc cream. Plus, I think that means we get 60 pts for reviewing rather than just 50. :D And no food product either! Yay! I wonder if we'll get a whole lip butter? That would be awesome. So, no I don't think this is a "welcome box" because I've been subscribed since january, but some of these I've seen before, but that's not unusual for them to still send out items that were new a few boxes ago. I think the Caudalie is new? Maybe?

Thank goodness, someone else with my same box!! I was getting worried there because I didn't see anyone else with it.  Do you have any experience with the Yes to.. products?  And woohoo for getting 6 products to review!! When is your box supposed to arrive?

Originally Posted by Emuhlyy View Post

Thank goodness, someone else with my same box!! I was getting worried there because I didn't see anyone else with it.  Do you have any experience with the Yes to.. products?  And woohoo for getting 6 products to review!! When is your box supposed to arrive?

I'm getting this box too! I've tried the Yes to Cucumbers wipes before and I love them so I'm super excited to get them! I've also tried the yes to grapefruit wipes and I've been meaning to try the scrub. Just be warned it probably doesn't smell like real grapefruit, the grapefruit wipes smelled so artificial. I'm supposed to get my box on the 15th! I've been with birchbox for 3 months and this box is my favorite!

Originally Posted by Moonittude View Post

Congratulations on your new job! I remember getting my first good-paying job. It's such a happy memory. That was the first time I really felt like an adult. It feels weird to start doing better financially when other people seem to be struggling more, but we don't all ride the economic waves at the same point. Enjoy it! :)

thanks lady :) i know i need to be *very* responsible while i have this. its technically an internship for the summer (in nashville! never been!) with the potential of being kept on for the the remainder of grad school...with the intent of being kept on after graduation. i will be making more than my parents and my boyfriend's parents. i honestly feel a little guilty! But you're right - there are economic waves and I gotta do this one right!

Originally Posted by parisnicole1989 View Post

If anyone doesn't want their Youngblood mattifier please let me know!

Sending you a PM

Am I the only one who doesn't have a clicky truck yet? I feel like everyone either has their box already or knows when it'll arrive. Every month before this one my box was always in the first wave of shipments frown.gif

Hey Ladies, has anyone received the ojon rare blend oil total hair therapy yet?  If so, can you tell me what kind of packaging it's in?  I'm hoping it's not a foil packet but if so, I'll live.  It would be nice to receive a small bottle or tube, like the Macadamia oil that was sent out last month.  I didn't get any of that sadly so I'm really hoping to like this one.  Here's the rest of my box info...

Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine Cologne- not thrilled about getting perfume/cologne but I saw others raving about this so maybe I'll really like it?!  I'm super picky with scents.

Supergood Anti-Aging Eye Cream- actually just said to my fiancé last night that I should start using anti-aging products.  Good job BB.

Mirenesse Glossy Kiss- very excited to receive this!

Kusmi Tea- not an exciting thing to receive in BB but I like tea and I'm up for trying something new.

Overall I'm pretty happy with what's coming.  It should be in my mailbox tonight... can't wait to open it up and start trying everything!

Hey Ladies, has anyone received the ojon rare blend oil total hair therapy yet?  If so, can you tell me what kind of packaging it's in?  I'm hoping it's not a foil packet but if so, I'll live.  It would be nice to receive a small bottle or tube, like the Macadamia oil that was sent out last month.  I didn't get any of that sadly so I'm really hoping to like this one.  Here's the rest of my box info... [spoiler=Warning: Spoiler!] Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine Cologne- not thrilled about getting perfume/cologne but I saw others raving about this so maybe I'll really like it?!  I'm super picky with scents. Supergood Anti-Aging Eye Cream- actually just said to my fiancé last night that I should start using anti-aging products.  Good job BB. Mirenesse Glossy Kiss- very excited to receive this! Kusmi Tea- not an exciting thing to receive in BB but I like tea and I'm up for trying something new.

Overall I'm pretty happy with what's coming.  It should be in my mailbox tonight... can't wait to open it up and start trying everything! If you like tea, you will love the kusmi.