Sign in to follow this  
ItsMissMathers

Is Ipsy Bag Worth It?

Just look at previous bags to get a general sense of their monthly contents. I think it's great if you like actual makeup. The bags have very little variation, so there's not much customization going on (unlike Birchbox--although I reaallllyy don't believe their beauty profiles mean anything); the plus side of this is, you won't get like an $8 bag while another person gets a $40 bag in the same month (i.e. no bag jealousy). The downside is, there's no point in having 2+ subscriptions.

If you get skeeved out by relatively obscure brands like Mirabella, you might not like Ipsy. They do feature a lot of great name-brand products (e.g. The Balm eyeshadow, UD eyeliner, etc), but you'll get more of the obscure brands (obscure doesn't necessarily mean shady or bad). However, you always get makeup, and they're great about introducing a wide variety of products in fun colors (i.e. last month I got a bright blush I would have never purchased on my own, but I ended up loving it). Just a head's up--if you abhor lip gloss, you might get disappointed by Ipsy. I think I have like 8+ different lip glosses from them, over the course of a year or so lol.

April was my first Ipsy bag and like someone mentioned, I was impressed yet a little disappointed at the same time. I'm not a picky person but I also coupon so I get a lot of makeup products for cheap. I do however love the bag that it comes in. I wish Target was still doing those free beauty bags but since they're not, I decided to try ipsy. I'll keep up with the subscription bc I wasn't completely let down (pink is my favorite color!!!) but after a few months, I'll see if I'm actually using the products.

I joined in oct and like others have said its really a matter of personal preference. I love ipsy..yes i have gotten a cpl bags i didnt like but i see it as worth it in the long run. I try brands ive never heard of and am able to decide if i would want full size...plus if you like the product you get a coupon code from ipsy to order..if not you have a cute bag and some knowledge. I love that you can cancel anytime so if you really hate it youre not stuck for months...however i have yet to hate it...the good bags have more than outweighed a few bad items.

I personally love Ipsy because it gives me an opportunity to try out things I never would otherwise. I like that they pair with smaller companies that I would otherwise never hear about and they work with them to get discounts on full products if you've enjoyed them.

It also depends on what you're expecting. I'm a Birchbox subscriber too, and I always prefer my ipsy bags to whatever Birchbox decides to give me. I signed up for Birchbox before I heard about any of the others (a yearly, so I can't get out of it, sigh), looking forward to playing with makeup, but most months I only get one actual makeup item (the others are perfume (every single box), body lotions, hair products, face washes, etc) (and oddly enough, in my 9 boxes I've still haven't gotten a twistband, which if you go by the internet, everyone gets every other month). ipsy provides me with makeup (and in much bigger sizes than those foil packets I get with my Birchbox) and I happen to like the small selection, since I don't feel like it's a bait-and-switch situation like Birchbox. I do like the Birchbox points system, but I will probably cancel my subscription after it runs out.

Originally Posted by MKHeatherM View Post

Do they do it kind of like Birchbox does? Do 'spoilers' but everyone has a chance of getting different things, or does everyone get the same items in their bag?

If you look at the previous months, there's actually very few variations (you can see the 2013 list here), everyone usually gets the same four items and the fifth might be one of two things (though some products might have up to four different shades). This month got kind of crazy (you can see the May spoiler page in this forum, we got kind of crazy trying to figure out how all the variations might work), since there are 14 different products. Everyone was guaranteed a Zoya nail polish and a Yaby concealer, but the other three things varied. But even so, 12 different items is way less variation than what Birchbox does (I think the only thing I've gotten that was in their spoiler video was the Whish shaving cream, which, let's face it, I'm not going to spend $20 on to get the full size no matter how good it is and I'm getting the Marvis toothpaste this month). But the great thing about having so few variations is that there's bound to be someone out there who wants what you don't want and happens to not want something that you wanted, so you can just swap!

Originally Posted by LindaD View Post

If you look at the previous months, there's actually very few variations (you can see the 2013 list here), everyone usually gets the same four items and the fifth might be one of two things (though some products might have up to four different shades). This month got kind of crazy (you can see the May spoiler page in this forum, we got kind of crazy trying to figure out how all the variations might work), since there are 14 different products. Everyone was guaranteed a Zoya nail polish and a Yaby concealer, but the other three things varied. But even so, 12 different items is way less variation than what Birchbox does (I think the only thing I've gotten that was in their spoiler video was the Whish shaving cream, which, let's face it, I'm not going to spend $20 on to get the full size no matter how good it is and I'm getting the Marvis toothpaste this month). But the great thing about having so few variations is that there's bound to be someone out there who wants what you don't want and happens to not want something that you wanted, so you can just swap!

I got my May bag and I was very happy with it! I loved all my products and they were all full sized! Except for the lip gloss by Juice Beauty, it's half the size of their regular lip gloss they sell on the Juice Beauty site. But hey, I'm not complaining, it's still the same size of most lip glosses. :)

Originally Posted by MKHeatherM View Post

I got my May bag and I was very happy with it! I loved all my products and they were all full sized! Except for the lip gloss by Juice Beauty, it's half the size of their regular lip gloss they sell on the Juice Beauty site. But hey, I'm not complaining, it's still the same size of most lip glosses. :)

so they're still gsreat??

Originally Posted by talors511 View Post

so they're still gsreat??

Just for comparison, since I got both today. Below is the Ipsy bag:

cute bag, full-sized Pacifica rollerball perfume, Mirabella lipstick (probably full size), full-size Zoya nail polish, big St. Tropez bronzing lotion (not pictured, but the sample is 1.7oz), mini concealer pan

and this is my May Birchbox:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

a rollerball pen, Beauty Protector heat protecting hair spray, a perfume sample, COOLA SPF lotion, Sumita eyeliner. 

keep in mind, the mini SPF bottle is literally the same height as the Zoya nailpolish. it's really a matter of personal choice--I think both are great, but Ipsy always wows me with how much they send (much larger samples). Birchbox points are great though; every other month you basically get $10 in credits if you review the products.

I definitely think so, Ipsy is by far my favorite subscription service. I stick with BB because the points system makes it a good value (3 free months every 4 months or so) but I never get wowed or really excited by the boxes.

I'd definitely give Ipsy a go :) If nothing else it's usually very easy to trade the generously sized samples!

I was previously a subscriber to Birchbox and Beauty Army, but I decided to trade Beauty Army (seriously, they're not worth it) for the Ipsy bag. It looks like they send a lot of good products, and a lot of full sized stuff. I love that they send a makeup bag too! What I was wondering is if they send good products? Is there a wide variety of brands and cosmetics? I get my first bag this May and I'm so excited. :D I just don't want to end up disappointed like I did with Beauty Army. :(
ipsy is worth it.may was my second time getting it & this month alone I got 5 full size samples .

A warning about ipsy... I went on the mailing list and they charged my card without telling me they were going to. It was a dollar, but still, a company that is so liberal with charging my card WITHOUT letting me know they're going to do it just seems fishy to me, and the address the charge was from was a personal address, so I cancelled right away and let them keep my dollar and nothing else. Charging me for a waiting list when I haven't even gotten a thing from you? It pissed me off royally!

Originally Posted by ameristar View Post

A warning about ipsy... I went on the mailing list and they charged my card without telling me they were going to. It was a dollar, but still, a company that is so liberal with charging my card WITHOUT letting me know they're going to do it just seems fishy to me, and the address the charge was from was a personal address, so I cancelled right away and let them keep my dollar and nothing else. Charging me for a waiting list when I haven't even gotten a thing from you? It pissed me off royally!

That happens with a lot of companies, it's just an authorization hold to make sure your card is valid, and the charge will fall off, you won't actually be charged the dollar...

They do it whenyou sign up for the waiting list that way as soon as there is a spot for you, they can charge your card and you'll be all set.

This is apparently a common question that comes up, it's on their FAQ page:

Why was I just charged $1?

Last Updated: Feb 28, 2013 11:29AM PST
Some of our subscribers may see a $1 charge in their bank records for each subscription they purchase.

The $1 is not a fee from us at ipsy, but rather, is most likely a fee that your bank has charged you for the transaction. Or, it may simply be a hold that your bank has placed. We have seen this most commonly with pre-paid cards or gift cards. You may need to contact your bank for further information on the additional $1 charge.

Please note: Your bank WILL reimburse this $1, usually immediately, and sometimes within a few days. It is not a tax or a fee, but rather, a temporary charge until the actual billing goes through.

If you have questions or concerns, please do shoot us a note by clicking "Email ipsyCare" on the right, and we'll be happy to help!

-------------------------------------------
I've seen this occasionally from on my credit card in the "Pending" section. It gets refunded in a day or two and it never actually shows up on my billing statement.

The problem was it came from a company that wasn't called ipsy but rather personalized beauty disco, which I'd never heard of in my life, and confused me. I guess my main problem was it isn't said anywhere on the page, and since my card text messages me when charges are made it threw me off a lot. Besides that I had other problems mostly because I didn't realize the products were drug store brand before I signed up to the mailing list. Now I'm going to join glossy box instead. But I didn't know about the charge and FAQ so thanks for telling me. When I sign up to glossy box I will be more aware of a "test" charge.

The problem was it came from a company that wasn't called ipsy but rather personalized beauty disco, which I'd never heard of in my life, and confused me. I guess my main problem was it isn't said anywhere on the page, and since my card text messages me when charges are made it threw me off a lot. Besides that I had other problems mostly because I didn't realize the products were drug store brand before I signed up to the mailing list. Now I'm going to join glossy box instead. But I didn't know about the charge and FAQ so thanks for telling me. When I sign up to glossy box I will be more aware of a "test" charge.

Personalized Beauty Discovery is Ipsy's parent company. PBD owns MyGlam, Ipsy, Circus by Andrea and potentially other stylist branded products. It'll show as "Personalized Beauty Disco" on some bank statements due to a character limit. It's a temp charge and will drop off within a few days.

• Like 1

I feel like ipsy is worth it..I just got a bag yesterday and there was like 1 thing I wouldn't use but the rest I would...I looked up all the prices and mine came out at about $50 it's good if you wanna try out different brands to see what else is out there..you may find a new brand you love

I would love to subscribe and have all of that products ship to my house but they only ship in US don't they??? How about make-up-lover in all over the world? :( 

When i first signed up i got the dollar charge too...but it was in the fine print...i reread everything and they did say there is a dollar hold placed on your card.

I've already replied to a different post of yours regarding this but I do have to say I can agree that they should have that as a disclaimer when you first sign up. The only thing, after the quiz, that the site has is "*Glam Bags are available in the U.S., U.S. Territories, & Canada. U.S. shipping is free. Taxes apply to bags shipped to California, New York, & N. Carolina. Canadian shipping is $4.95. Learn more" The link goes to the Ipsy Help site which states this:

Thank you for becoming a Glam Bag subscriber!

The Glam Bag is currently available in the United States (including its territories, PO Boxes, and AP, DPO, and FPO boxes), and, most recently, Canada and its territories and military locations (please learn more about Canada shipping and billing here).

In the U.S., Glam Bags are currently sent via US Postal Service and DHL. In Canada, Glam Bags are sent from the U.S. via Purolator International Economy (a partner of Canada Post). We are constantly exploring options to ensure we are delivering you the absolute best service for your order each month.

Oh, by the way, you may have noticed a different shipping carrier for your Glam Bag for this month. We are constantly exploring options to ensure we are delivering you the absolute best service for your order each month. While we may have a different carrier transport your package from our warehouse to your area, your package will be delivered to your mailbox by your mail carrier as usual. We are committed to ensuring you receive your order in a timely manner.

In the U.S., shipping is 100% free. In Canada, shipping is an additional USD $4.95 per month (or USD $54.45 for an Annual subscription, which is USD $4.95 * 11 months), to cover broker and entry fees.

Every month, you will receive an email with your tracking number so you can follow your Glam Bag’s progress. Glam Bags usually arrive 7-10 business days after it ships, which is always mid-month.   Some details on U.S. APO, DPO and FPO addresses:

• UPS  and USPS deliver the packages up to the military postal office.
  • At that point, it is up to the military post office to finish the delivery.
  • The military post office has its own protocols and security measures so we cannot speed up delivery.
  • That is why in some cases ipsters may see their Glam Bags as "stuck" in New Jersey (or elsewhere).
  Some details on non-continental U.S. states, and U.S. territories:
  • Alaska and Hawaii deliveries work like any other state, but the delivery times are usually longer.
  • Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, and Northern Mariana Islands are unincorporated U.S. territories, and as such the process to ship is a bit more complicated for us (there are some additional forms to be incorporated into the labels). For that reason, delivery times may be considerably longer than normal.
  Have more questions about shipping, recurring billing, or anything else? Please check out all of our FAQs here, or, click "Email ipsyCare" to the right!

There is nothing on the sign up page about the $1 temp charge so unless you go looking for it (after the fact) you won't know about this:

http://help.ipsy.com/customer/portal/articles/434205-why-was-i-just-charged-1-

Why was I just charged $1?

Last Updated: Feb 28, 2013 11:29AM PST
Some of our subscribers may see a $1 charge in their bank records for each subscription they purchase.

The $1 is not a fee from us at ipsy, but rather, is most likely a fee that your bank has charged you for the transaction. Or, it may simply be a hold that your bank has placed. We have seen this most commonly with pre-paid cards or gift cards. You may need to contact your bank for further information on the additional $1 charge.

Please note: Your bank WILL reimburse this $1, usually immediately, and sometimes within a few days. It is not a tax or a fee, but rather, a temporary charge until the actual billing goes through.

If you have questions or concerns, please do shoot us a note by clicking "Email ipsyCare" on the right, and we'll be happy to help!

As I stated, I do think that the $1 temp charge should be mentioned on the join page so people don't freak out or think it was a scam because it's not a scam.

It's no big deal, and I feel foolish for having been so angry about it, but I just feel a company should be more upfront. I shouldn't have to wonder why they're making charges to my account when I've purchased nothing yet (I was only on a waiting list) and they didn't say anything about Personalized Beauty Discovery being on the statement as opposed to Ipsy. I need to be more informed before I sign up for stuff like this but really, how much effort does it take to type a little warning? I would have been fine with it had I known. I'd thought someone had gotten my account info when I got the notification text from my card company. I have never experienced Amex holding money on any other online purchases I made with their prepaid card. But they're not a scam, I realize that now.

It's no big deal, and I feel foolish for having been so angry about it, but I just feel a company should be more upfront. I shouldn't have to wonder why they're making charges to my account when I've purchased nothing yet (I was only on a waiting list) and they didn't say anything about Personalized Beauty Discovery being on the statement as opposed to Ipsy. I need to be more informed before I sign up for stuff like this but really, how much effort does it take to type a little warning? I would have been fine with it had I known. I'd thought someone had gotten my account info when I got the notification text from my card company. I have never experienced Amex holding money on any other online purchases I made with their prepaid card. But they're not a scam, I realize that now.

I absolutely agree. In this day and age you can't be too careful so it would be nice if up front the disclaimer was there about the potential for a $1 temp charge and that it'll show up as Personalized Beauty Discovery or Disco.

Oh! Have just found a company called Parcel Zoom (www.parcelzoom.com) they actually provided me a shopping address in USA then ship it to my country later. I'll try to have a glam bag ASAP but may be I can wait until have few of the bags and ship together to save cost! 

Anyways, those beauty products look so attractive!!! we have in here (Vietnam) kind of high-end brand like Menard, Dior, Lancome or Korean ones, but not these things...

Oh! Have just found a company called Parcel Zoom (www.parcelzoom.com) they actually provided me a shopping address in USA then ship it to my country later. I'll try to have a glam bag ASAP but may be I can wait until have few of the bags and ship together to save cost!  Anyways, those beauty products look so attractive!!! we have in here (Vietnam) kind of high-end brand like Menard, Dior, Lancome or Korean ones, but not these things...
So glad you found a company that does that. Make sure you spread the word. I know a lot of girls that are outside the us and canada would love to hear about this.