Is Ipsy Bag Worth It?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by ameristar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem was it came from a company that wasn't called ipsy but rather personalized beauty disco, which I'd never heard of in my life, and confused me. I guess my main problem was it isn't said anywhere on the page, and since my card text messages me when charges are made it threw me off a lot. Besides that I had other problems mostly because I didn't realize the products were drug store brand before I signed up to the mailing list. Now I'm going to join glossy box instead. But I didn't know about the charge and FAQ so thanks for telling me. When I sign up to glossy box I will be more aware of a "test" charge.
Personalized Beauty Discovery is Ipsy's parent company. PBD owns MyGlam, Ipsy, Circus by Andrea and potentially other stylist branded products. It'll show as "Personalized Beauty Disco" on some bank statements due to a character limit. It's a temp charge and will drop off within a few days.

I feel like ipsy is worth it..I just got a bag yesterday and there was like 1 thing I wouldn't use but the rest I would...I looked up all the prices and mine came out at about $50 it's good if you wanna try out different brands to see what else is out there..you may find a new brand you love

I would love to subscribe and have all of that products ship to my house but they only ship in US don't they??? How about make-up-lover in all over the world? :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

A warning about ipsy... I went on the mailing list and they charged my card without telling me they were going to. It was a dollar, but still, a company that is so liberal with charging my card WITHOUT letting me know they're going to do it just seems fishy to me, and the address the charge was from was a personal address, so I cancelled right away and let them keep my dollar and nothing else. Charging me for a waiting list when I haven't even gotten a thing from you? It pissed me off royally!
When i first signed up i got the dollar charge too...but it was in the fine print...i reread everything and they did say there is a dollar hold placed on your card.

A warning about ipsy... I went on the mailing list and they charged my card without telling me they were going to. It was a dollar, but still, a company that is so liberal with charging my card WITHOUT letting me know they're going to do it just seems fishy to me, and the address the charge was from was a personal address, so I cancelled right away and let them keep my dollar and nothing else. Charging me for a waiting list when I haven't even gotten a thing from you? It pissed me off royally!
I've already replied to a different post of yours regarding this but I do have to say I can agree that they should have that as a disclaimer when you first sign up. The only thing, after the quiz, that the site has is "*Glam Bags are available in the U.S., U.S. Territories, & Canada. U.S. shipping is free. Taxes apply to bags shipped to California, New York, & N. Carolina. Canadian shipping is $4.95. Learn more" The link goes to the Ipsy Help site which states this:

Thank you for becoming a Glam Bag subscriber!

The Glam Bag is currently available in the United States (including its territories, PO Boxes, and AP, DPO, and FPO boxes), and, most recently, Canada and its territories and military locations (please learn more about Canada shipping and billing here). In the U.S., Glam Bags are currently sent via US Postal Service and DHL. In Canada, Glam Bags are sent from the U.S. via Purolator International Economy (a partner of Canada Post). We are constantly exploring options to ensure we are delivering you the absolute best service for your order each month.

Oh, by the way, you may have noticed a different shipping carrier for your Glam Bag for this month. We are constantly exploring options to ensure we are delivering you the absolute best service for your order each month. While we may have a different carrier transport your package from our warehouse to your area, your package will be delivered to your mailbox by your mail carrier as usual. We are committed to ensuring you receive your order in a timely manner.

In the U.S., shipping is 100% free. In Canada, shipping is an additional USD $4.95 per month (or USD $54.45 for an Annual subscription, which is USD $4.95 * 11 months), to cover broker and entry fees.

Every month, you will receive an email with your tracking number so you can follow your Glam Bag’s progress. Glam Bags usually arrive 7-10 business days after it ships, which is always mid-month.   Some details on U.S. APO, DPO and FPO addresses:

• UPS  and USPS deliver the packages up to the military postal office.
  • At that point, it is up to the military post office to finish the delivery.
  • The military post office has its own protocols and security measures so we cannot speed up delivery.
  • That is why in some cases ipsters may see their Glam Bags as "stuck" in New Jersey (or elsewhere).
  Some details on non-continental U.S. states, and U.S. territories:
  • Alaska and Hawaii deliveries work like any other state, but the delivery times are usually longer.
  • Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, and Northern Mariana Islands are unincorporated U.S. territories, and as such the process to ship is a bit more complicated for us (there are some additional forms to be incorporated into the labels). For that reason, delivery times may be considerably longer than normal.
  Have more questions about shipping, recurring billing, or anything else? Please check out all of our FAQs here, or, click "Email ipsyCare" to the right!

There is nothing on the sign up page about the $1 temp charge so unless you go looking for it (after the fact) you won't know about this:

http://help.ipsy.com/customer/portal/articles/434205-why-was-i-just-charged-1- Why was I just charged $1? Last Updated: Feb 28, 2013 11:29AM PST
Some of our subscribers may see a $1 charge in their bank records for each subscription they purchase.
The $1 is not a fee from us at ipsy, but rather, is most likely a fee that your bank has charged you for the transaction. Or, it may simply be a hold that your bank has placed. We have seen this most commonly with pre-paid cards or gift cards. You may need to contact your bank for further information on the additional $1 charge.

Please note: Your bank WILL reimburse this $1, usually immediately, and sometimes within a few days. It is not a tax or a fee, but rather, a temporary charge until the actual billing goes through.

If you have questions or concerns, please do shoot us a note by clicking "Email ipsyCare" on the right, and we'll be happy to help!

As I stated, I do think that the $1 temp charge should be mentioned on the join page so people don't freak out or think it was a scam because it's not a scam.

It's no big deal, and I feel foolish for having been so angry about it, but I just feel a company should be more upfront. I shouldn't have to wonder why they're making charges to my account when I've purchased nothing yet (I was only on a waiting list) and they didn't say anything about Personalized Beauty Discovery being on the statement as opposed to Ipsy. I need to be more informed before I sign up for stuff like this but really, how much effort does it take to type a little warning? I would have been fine with it had I known. I'd thought someone had gotten my account info when I got the notification text from my card company. I have never experienced Amex holding money on any other online purchases I made with their prepaid card. But they're not a scam, I realize that now.

It's no big deal, and I feel foolish for having been so angry about it, but I just feel a company should be more upfront. I shouldn't have to wonder why they're making charges to my account when I've purchased nothing yet (I was only on a waiting list) and they didn't say anything about Personalized Beauty Discovery being on the statement as opposed to Ipsy. I need to be more informed before I sign up for stuff like this but really, how much effort does it take to type a little warning? I would have been fine with it had I known. I'd thought someone had gotten my account info when I got the notification text from my card company. I have never experienced Amex holding money on any other online purchases I made with their prepaid card. But they're not a scam, I realize that now.
I absolutely agree. In this day and age you can't be too careful so it would be nice if up front the disclaimer was there about the potential for a $1 temp charge and that it'll show up as Personalized Beauty Discovery or Disco.

Oh! Have just found a company called Parcel Zoom (www.parcelzoom.com) they actually provided me a shopping address in USA then ship it to my country later. I'll try to have a glam bag ASAP but may be I can wait until have few of the bags and ship together to save cost! 

Anyways, those beauty products look so attractive!!! we have in here (Vietnam) kind of high-end brand like Menard, Dior, Lancome or Korean ones, but not these things...

Oh! Have just found a company called Parcel Zoom (www.parcelzoom.com) they actually provided me a shopping address in USA then ship it to my country later. I'll try to have a glam bag ASAP but may be I can wait until have few of the bags and ship together to save cost!  Anyways, those beauty products look so attractive!!! we have in here (Vietnam) kind of high-end brand like Menard, Dior, Lancome or Korean ones, but not these things...
So glad you found a company that does that. Make sure you spread the word. I know a lot of girls that are outside the us and canada would love to hear about this.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it worth it? Depends on your expectations. 
ABSOLUTELY depends. I have very low expectations (hehe) so I am ALWAYS excited about what comes in my Ipsy bag. Even if I don't end up liking a product, trades here are so easy, or I save something for a gift if I know someone else will love it. For me, I feel like my $10 goes a long way with Ipsy and that's why I stay subscribed.

I had a lot of friends that get the Ipsy bag! From what they have told me, most months are great, but there will always be times when you don't like something. I think the best advice is to not judge after your first bag. wait for a few to see the range of products you get to make your decision! I think you will end up liking it though!

I noticed the same thing when I called them& asked they said that they put it back on my card.they did but,I agree it was strange.

I LOVE Ipsy. I was subscribed to Birchbox and Starlooks as well. I cancelled them both because Ipsy had more full size products and more items tat I could use. Not to mention BB was not worth the money every single month and Ipsy is.

Originally Posted by bellerenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it worth it? Depends on your expectations. 
ABSOLUTELY depends. I have very low expectations (hehe) so I am ALWAYS excited about what comes in my Ipsy bag. Even if I don't end up liking a product, trades here are so easy, or I save something for a gift if I know someone else will love it. For me, I feel like my $10 goes a long way with Ipsy and that's why I stay subscribed.

I agree with everything in your post, bellerenee. I've tried a lot of subs and I have been happy with all of them, since I love variety, trading, and gifting. I'm down to two subs now: ipsy, which I love, and GlitterDaze which I haven't received yet.

I've received many products from ipsy that I use and enjoy, and the products that I wouldn't use have always traded easily or been good for my mom or best friend.

You might get mascara two months in a row, or a lip gloss and a lipstick in one bag, and their personalization methods aren't refined yet for the right colors of foundation or concealer. I don't mind these things at all. But, if you are very particular about your products, then a sub like Beauty Army or BeautyFix might be better for you since you can choose samples. Or, get a sub or two that aren't two expensive so that you have something to trade, and go on the MUT trade threads and get a little bit of something from all the different subs. The experienced traders would be happy to give you tips and tricks to making it worth your while; cheapest shipping, recycled packaging, checking feedback, etc.

ipsy has improved by leaps and bound since I started and they seem to have some good brand relationships now. I think that they have less skincare than many other subs, so that may be preferable for younger customers. I know many of the younger ones get irritated when they keep getting anti-aging skincare from Birchbox (although, young people might want to think about using it as preventative measure). In my opinion, ipsy isn't afraid of sending a variety of colors and finishes, so if you only like matte and neutral you might not like it.

I have really enjoyed ipsy and think that they have been totally worth it.. Birchbox disappoints me at times but the last few boxes I have been really happy with.. especially since they are partnering with higher end brands like lancome!!  I use a lot of the products and what I decide I don't wish to use or things not for me I pass on to my nieces.  The price is only $10 so worth it for me.. I am a member of julep but am canceling since I just used all my points.

For me personally, Ipsy is worth the $10, but if I had to choose between Ipsy and Birchbox, I would choose Birchbox. 

It just comes down to your personal taste. I have a lot of makeup and skincare stuff already, so I enjoy trying samples of higher end brands I usually wouldn't purchase myself. I like a wide variety of brands and products, from skincare to haircare to makeup, and I enjoy occasional "lifestyle" extras like chocolate or a headband. That is what Birchbox does. There have definitely been some birchboxes I've been underwhelmed by.. Last month was not my favorite, for example. But I still get to review the items and earn points, and their rewards program is amazing!

Ipsy, on the other hand, seems more hit or miss to me. Either I love the products and I'm overjoyed, or I don't love them and I don't get anything out of it (no rewards points). The product sizes are definitely way bigger, and the total dollar value is most likely greater also. But everyone gets mostly the same box that is mainly always makeup, and sadly, a lot of the colors don't flatter my skin tone! I got many full size products, but only a couple do I really use, and I don't love when they are private label brands I've never heard of like the Sation nail polish.

I enjoy both the subs, and plan to stay with both at least for a while longer, but Birchbox fits me better.

Back