Is Ipsy Bag Worth It?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was previously a subscriber to Birchbox and Beauty Army, but I decided to trade Beauty Army (seriously, they're not worth it) for the Ipsy bag. It looks like they send a lot of good products, and a lot of full sized stuff. I love that they send a makeup bag too! What I was wondering is if they send good products? Is there a wide variety of brands and cosmetics? I get my first bag this May and I'm so excited. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just don't want to end up disappointed like I did with Beauty Army. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Totally worth it! Ipsy is the one bag/sub I'm never disappointed with.

I will get my first Ipsy bag in July and I just subscribed to Julep.

I just subscribed to Ipsy but they put me on the waitlist. Any ideas how long that will take? After reading reviews I can't wait receive my first box!!

I was put on the wait list and it wasn't even a week and I was in so I didn't miss any boxes while waiting to be added to membership.. Hopefully it will be like that and you will love your first box! 

cheri

Originally Posted by chocolatte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just subscribed to Ipsy but they put me on the waitlist. Any ideas how long that will take? After reading reviews I can't wait receive my first box!!
They've been opening up subs every month, so I'd be really surprised if you didn't get in for August! I don't think anyone has had to wait longer than the next month for a while now...

Yeah I think most people get off the wait list within a month, and I definitely think Ipsy is worth subscribing to. The samples have only been getting better and better. As long as you don't expect crazy high end things every month, you should be pretty happy (and they do send high end things occasionally).

I just wanted to add my thoughts on BB v. Ipsy: Birchbox is--to me--a bit more of a yuppie/hipster type of vibe than Ipsy. I originally bought BB as a gift for someone else last September, and about two months in, we were reading about how lame the box was (it was the GOOP versus not-GOOP box, which was a bit of a controversy at the time) compared to some other people's boxes, and found the link to Ipsy. In December, she gave me a gift sub to Ipsy, and I've been with them ever since. BB sends stuff in the boxes that is just...not beauty-related enough, sometimes. Now, I do subscribe to both boxes *now* but mostly because I dumped KlutchClub and thought I'd try somethign else with my $18.00. For instance, BB sends tea bags. This works for some people (particularly people who drink hot tea) but, I'd hate getting this in my box/bag. They sent post cards last month, pretty much for no apparent reason. I've always been happy with Ipsy. Yes, it's sometimes some pretty humble brands (NYX is a repeat in my bags, Sexy Hair shows up *all* the time in my bags) but other times, not so much. I have never had a single bag that I didn't at least "like." I think there's been about three products in the last year that I've been more than "Meh" about. One thing that's irritating to me, but that Ipsy has no control over, is that sometimes go to the "promoting makeup company's" website to use my Ipster discount, and then find out that they've got RIDICULOUSLY inflated prices (I'm looking at you, Mirabella. Close second there, Cailyn). I always want to write their customer service lines: "Dear unknown, not-famous makeup corp: You realize that you're charging as much as brands with serious name recognition and incredible reputations, right?"

I just hit my 1 year mark being a BB subscriber. I love the non-makeup aspect of the box so it's wonderful for me. I am much more interested in trying new high-end skin and hair products and BB has not let me down. But it did lead me to this forum where I have been lurking for a few months. I have been wanting to make more of an effort to mix up my minimal makeup routine and the people posting here convinced me to sign up for an Ipsy bag. Oh , how I wanted June's bag but I did not sign up until 06/16 so too late. But I am waiting for July's bag to arrive and according to my tracking info it should be here today or Monday. So I would think if you sign up early in the month you most likely will get next months bag.

Just got my first Ipsy bag and I am happy with it. For $10, it's a fun way to experiment.

I was on the waiting list for 4-5 months before I was able to get a bag.now its been 6 months and I love it.

You and me are in the same boat! I hope we get our bags soon!!

im three bags in and so far i love it!  i love half the products i have gotten have been ok with others and have reordered 2 things...so far its a lot of fun!  i have also refered friends and we can trade with each other

If you are someone that sticks to nicer/more prestigious brands,ipsy will be a disappointment. But,if you are willing to try a lot of stuff from brands you can buy at CVS or that you haven't heard of,then it is a great deal.timeline covers Just remember,you can always cancel if you decide you don't like it. I can't see ipsy sending out lower "value" bags anytime soon,as that is something a lot of people love about ipsy.

If you are  6 years old to 18 year old you will love ipsy. I am in my 40s and tried it . I have a daughter in the 20s and I have got ipsy for myself and her for about 6 months.  I seriously have never used anything in the ipsy bag . I don't like products made in china and I like high end items. The stuff in the bag I have got are stuff I can get for a dollar and my local beauty store. ( example the brand nyx? ) My daughter in her 20s  didn't want anything in the ipsy bag either. Now I have seen items from urban decay   Demeter and other brands in ipsy that I would have been trilled to get. Even the month they had pacifica products non was in my bag and my daughters bag. I basically get a dry shampoo in each bag. The bags are adorable  but if you want high end items and care about ingredients I would not get ipsy. If I had a daughter who was very young I would get this for her its for people who want to start a makeup collection and have little money. I personally want to try high end items to see if I like them to add to my collection. I do love birchbox

I don't think age has anything to do with whether or not you will like Ipsy, nor does income. I am 29 and I love it. My sister is 17 and she does, too. If you can find the things Ipsy's been sending out for a dollar, please direct me to your stores...it's not just for "people who want to build a makeup collection and have little money"...it is for people who like getting a fun bag of beauty stuff every month. 

(I don't see how you get a dry shampoo in each bag, seeing as how Ipsy has never sent out dry shampoo...Birchbox has several times, however...)

I personally will take the occasional NYX or drugstore product from Ipsy over the tanning wipes, foot wipes, protein bars, and ziploc bags from Birchbox (though I have subbed  to both for a long time, and JUST cancelled Birchbox today, and both have their purposes!)  

I have found that over the last year+, of all of my subs, I've probably gotten the most consistent value out of Ipsy. I think it's a good mix of makeup, skincare, haircare, and fragrances that leans more heavily toward the makeup side of things, which I like! 

I've cancelled Birchbox, Glossybox, and Starlooks over the last month (Glossybox a couple of months ago, actually) but am considering a second Ipsy sub, if that tells you anything. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think age has anything to do with whether or not you will like Ipsy, nor does income. I am 29 and I love it. My sister is 17 and she does, too. If you can find the things Ipsy's been sending out for a dollar, please direct me to your stores...it's not just for "people who want to build a makeup collection and have little money"...it is for people who like getting a fun bag of beauty stuff every month. 

(I don't see how you get a dry shampoo in each bag, seeing as how Ipsy has never sent out dry shampoo...Birchbox has several times, however...)

I personally will take the occasional NYX or drugstore product from Ipsy over the tanning wipes, foot wipes, protein bars, and ziploc bags from Birchbox (though I have subbed  to both for a long time, and JUST cancelled Birchbox today, and both have their purposes!)  

I have found that over the last year+, of all of my subs, I've probably gotten the most consistent value out of Ipsy. I think it's a good mix of makeup, skincare, haircare, and fragrances that leans more heavily toward the makeup side of things, which I like! 

I've cancelled Birchbox, Glossybox, and Starlooks over the last month (Glossybox a couple of months ago, actually) but am considering a second Ipsy sub, if that tells you anything. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Agreed. I'm 32 and I love ipsy, and I already have a huge makeup & skincare collection of both high and lower end products. Drugstore doesn't necessarily mean low quality. The beauty blogger Temptalia tests really high end products constantly, yet she'll list some of the best formulas coming from Maybelline, Revlon, and L'Oreal right alongside her Tom Ford, Chanel, and Guerlain. Ipsy has a lot of universal appeal, because most people don't have much money. I loved Birchbox, too, but get more things that I like from ipsy.

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. I'm 32 and I love ipsy, and I already have a huge makeup & skincare collection of both high and lower end products. Drugstore doesn't necessarily mean low quality. The beauty blogger Temptalia tests really high end products constantly, yet she'll list some of the best formulas coming from Maybelline, Revlon, and L'Oreal right alongside her Tom Ford, Chanel, and Guerlain. Ipsy has a lot of universal appeal, because most people don't have much money. I loved Birchbox, too, but get more things that I like from ipsy.
Mmmhmm and I think the difference is more about perception than any actual quality difference. I like that you get a whole wide range of item prices from Ipsy (some are really affordable...others are more mid-range prestige like Urban Decay and Smashbox!) And I see a lot of snobby comments about Birchbox being high end while Ipsy is low-end but let's keep in mind that they have sent out many of the same brands. (And Birchbox this month sent out Coastal Scents, which is NOT a high end brand but one I love, and jacked the price up when they put it in their shop...yeah, perception...)

Back