How do you store your samples/Makeup Vanities?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a tiny bathroom. I have a tiny bathroom that is now completely overrun with the loot from too many beauty/sampling subscriptions.

I have a boyfriend.  I have a boyfriend who would like to have our shared bathroom back and has been incredibly patient but is likely to purge next time I leave on a long trip if I don't find a solution - fast!

(he wouldn't be that mean, but I have GOT to get this stuff organized ) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been looking at vanities online - I already have most of my makeup in container-store type organizer trays, but need a place to physically put them.  

Anyone have links to great makeup vanities? i've looked on Amazon, Target, Overstock.com, and a Walter E Smithe, but have yet to find the perfect piece that combines enough storage space but is not outrageously expensive.

I've also looked at computer desks, thinking maybe I could add a small rolling pull out drawer contraption of some type plus a mirror.

Any suggestions are very welcome.  Max length is 54 inches. The leading contender is the link below, but i'm slightly afraid that the sitting portion in the middle is too narrow/child sized. I'm a plus sized woman and I want to sit comfortably. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DC58QG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'd also just love to see any dream vanities folks would like to share, to get ideas :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Honestly,

I don't even store my samples in the bathroom. I have them in a cardboard box in the bedroom.

I also make myself use them whenever possible now, so that I stop hoarding them. It helps a ton.

Do you have a closet that you could put it in?

Unfortunately there's only two tiny closets - I'm in a traditional Chicago flat that is 100+ years old, from a time when people didn't have big wardrobes that needed space. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My canopy bed in the 2nd bedroom is my closet. LOL :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I actually set up my own "vanity" on top of my dresser in my bedroom. I use a small plastic 3-drawer storage thingy, with one drawer for face products (foundations, primers, concealers, blushes and bronzers), one for eyeshadows and primers and other eye makeup things, and one for tools and etc. I have pencil baskets that I use for my brushes, lip products, eyeliners, and mascaras. I also hung a mirror above it that has hooks at the bottom for hanging jewelry. It actually works pretty nicely. Here's a pic (excuse the puppy toys
smile.gif
):

Ikea!! I set up my own vanity with a desk from there and a mirror I already had hanging over it. Total cost was around 100 dollars, I have these two pieces of furniture: 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20244747/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40244751/

They set next to each other nicely since they are the same line, and between storage on top of them (I already had container store make up storage) and the drawers, I have plenty of room. I put a silver ware organizer in the large desk drawer to organize all of my pencils in, then I have two nail polish racks hanging up next to it. If you have the space to set something like this up, ikea desks are a great option imo. 

Most vanities I found with the kind of storage I wanted were 600+ dollars and that was not in the budget.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ikea!! I set up my own vanity with a desk from there and a mirror I already had hanging over it. Total cost was around 100 dollars, I have these two pieces of furniture: 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20244747/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40244751/

They set next to each other nicely since they are the same line, and between storage on top of them (I already had container store make up storage) and the drawers, I have plenty of room. I put a silver ware organizer in the large desk drawer to organize all of my pencils in, then I have two nail polish racks hanging up next to it. If you have the space to set something like this up, ikea desks are a great option imo. 

Most vanities I found with the kind of storage I wanted were 600+ dollars and that was not in the budget.
I think this is what I was looking for, thank you! I already have a wall full of somewhat similar Ikea bookcases in black brown, so it would match.  I'd really love a fancy schmancy vanity, but for the cost, this is way more flexible, and if I replace it at a later date with something nicer, it can be easily re-used.

I have to use my bathroom counter. I really like it. It will take a little time to fill it up.

Originally Posted by Ashitude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to use my bathroom counter. I really like it. It will take a little time to fill it up.

I love your shelf/stacker/drawer unit - that's cute!  It would be adorable on top of my eventual desk/vanity. Would you mind sharing where you found it?  I dream of counter and closet space:) 

I'm home now so I took a quick picture. Its super messy right now because I was going to try to alphabetize my palettes (lol) and organize some other things, but here is what it looks like to give you an idea:

I have eye shadow singles in one drawer, blush in another, etc. 

Originally Posted by Dayo Steph /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love your shelf/stacker/drawer unit - that's cute!  It would be adorable on top of my eventual desk/vanity. Would you mind sharing where you found it?  I dream of counter and closet space:) 
I found them at Target.

Thanks for posting the picture Playedinloops!  I think this may end up being the perfect solution, since it would match what I already have in the room.  It looks great!  I'm thinking about adding the shelf attachment that clicks onto the back. With the old plaster and lathe walls, I can't tack anything into the wall without it turning into a giant mess, but the magnetic bulletin board could hold a magnetized mirror!

Thanks for posting the picture Playedinloops!  I think this may end up being the perfect solution, since it would match what I already have in the room.  It looks great!  I'm thinking about adding the shelf attachment that clicks onto the back. With the old plaster and lathe walls, I can't tack anything into the wall without it turning into a giant mess, but the magnetic bulletin board could hold a magnetized mirror!
A table top make up mirror by conair or anyone like that would also work well, I think! 

I have a tiny bathroom. I have a tiny bathroom that is now completely overrun with the loot from too many beauty/sampling subscriptions.

I have a boyfriend.  I have a boyfriend who would like to have our shared bathroom back and has been incredibly patient but is likely to purge next time I leave on a long trip if I don't find a solution - fast!

(he wouldn't be that mean, but I have GOT to get this stuff organized ) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been looking at vanities online - I already have most of my makeup in container-store type organizer trays, but need a place to physically put them.  

Anyone have links to great makeup vanities? i've looked on Amazon, Target, Overstock.com, and a Walter E Smithe, but have yet to find the perfect piece that combines enough storage space but is not outrageously expensive.

I've also looked at computer desks, thinking maybe I could add a small rolling pull out drawer contraption of some type plus a mirror.

Any suggestions are very welcome.  Max length is 54 inches. The leading contender is the link below, but i'm slightly afraid that the sitting portion in the middle is too narrow/child sized. I'm a plus sized woman and I want to sit comfortably. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DC58QG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'd also just love to see any dream vanities folks would like to share, to get ideas :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hello!  I'm also from Chicago and I keep a saved search on Ebay for vintage vanities.  People in the suburbs are always selling them, but it may take a bit to find your gem.  I found one a few years ago similar to the one you linked for around $100.  I rented a truck from Home Depot for ~$40, and it has been keeping my makeup (somewhat) organized!

Love the idea on the vintage search! I will keep that in mind for an eventual upgrade. We ended up driving to Ikea Tuesday night and picked up the Micke desk, Micke drawer, and add on shelf unit in brown/black.   We're putting it together tonight, i'll post once I have it all set up. I am SO FLIPPING EXCITED :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Love the idea on the vintage search! I will keep that in mind for an eventual upgrade. We ended up driving to Ikea Tuesday night and picked up the Micke desk, Micke drawer, and add on shelf unit in brown/black.   We're putting it together tonight, i'll post once I have it all set up. I am SO FLIPPING EXCITED :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
YAY! I hope you enjoy it, its working so well for me so far, and for the price I couldn't have asked for anything better. 

I have a Malm"dressing table" from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10203610/) that has a big pull out drawer. For the top, I got some Muji drawers (http://www.muji.us/store/storage/acrylic-cases/acrylic-case-5-drawers.html) which are super sturdy acrylic drawers and then another drawer system for under it from Home Depot online (http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202949330?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202949330&R=202949330#.UZas7MpTB_o). That fits perfectly under it without the wheels!

It's pretty messy right now but you get the idea :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I keep all this in my closet with a mirror over it. It holds A LOT of storage. (I keep my samples from boxes in one of the white drawers in a glossybox or in the big drawer if I want to use them sooner)

Originally Posted by Boulderbon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have been eyeing the Alex drawer unit at Ikea. The next time I have a full free day I will pick up 2 of the 5 drawer unit and the Linnmon top. The top is only 47 inches, so you could also add the 10 drawer Alex drawer if you need more drawers.I don't have an Ikea close to me, and delivery is outrageous on their site.

This is a picture of the 5 drawer: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10192824/

The top: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10251347/
I have the 9 drawer and absolutely love it! 

Heres how I store everything:

For me I want to see my loose makeup colors at once, so I made a palette with my loose jars and I can probably hang it on a hook too.
I can also remove the jars to put them in my makeup bag if I want.
Still need to photograph that.

I am also going to organize my blushes in a simlar way but need to buy something to fix them on.

And for my eyeshadows and blushes that were solid and had annoying containers I took a CD case I had here and used "duck putty" to afix the pans in the CD case and since it is clear you can see what is in it. not the sturdiest but it is just for use at home.
I think a clear DVD case would work better or some clear box from a dollar shop, but there is none closeby so havent had time to check...

**duck putty is the stuff for hanging posters on your walls, the brand I have is DUCK brand can find at Home Depot.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm home now so I took a quick picture. Its super messy right now because I was going to try to alphabetize my palettes (lol) and organize some other things, but here is what it looks like to give you an idea:

I have eye shadow singles in one drawer, blush in another, etc. 
I want to do this! Thanks for posting! I might buy both in brown-black.

Back