How do you store your samples/Makeup Vanities?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by EmGee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me I want to see my loose makeup colors at once, so I made a palette with my loose jars and I can probably hang it on a hook too.

I can also remove the jars to put them in my makeup bag if I want.

Still need to photograph that.

I am also going to organize my blushes in a simlar way but need to buy something to fix them on.

And for my eyeshadows and blushes that were solid and had annoying containers I took a CD case I had here and used "duck putty" to afix the pans in the CD case and since it is clear you can see what is in it. not the sturdiest but it is just for use at home.

I think a clear DVD case would work better or some clear box from a dollar shop, but there is none closeby so havent had time to check...

**duck putty is the stuff for hanging posters on your walls, the brand I have is DUCK brand can find at Home Depot.
Post a pic! I put all of my loose makeup colors in a container store slotted plastic case, kind of like an embroidery floss holder.  It works to keep them from sliding around, but it's a little harder to see.  

Originally Posted by Dayo Steph /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Taaa daaaa!  I'm so pleased with how it came out.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That looks great!!! I'm jelly! 

I might buy the Micke desk and drawer unit later this summer.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm home now so I took a quick picture. Its super messy right now because I was going to try to alphabetize my palettes (lol) and organize some other things, but here is what it looks like to give you an idea:

I have eye shadow singles in one drawer, blush in another, etc. 
Where did you get the nail polish shelves?! (on the wall?!)

I have three stackable metal cabinets that used to be in a kitchen! They are badly in need of a paint job (which I plan to do this summer) but they do the job. My bathroom is overrun so I used them to make a little vanity in my tiny rented bedroom. (Forgive the mess, my cat spilled some powder all over my chest and I haven't cleaned it all up yet...)

The top cabinet is perfumes, lotions, deodorants, hair products.

The second is makeup, organized into empty Glossyboxes (one for lippies, one for single shadows, one for quads and small palettes, one for skincare, one for blushes, one for various, etc.)

The bottom is for larger items and lesser used things, nail polishes...

Then on the chest, I have:

brushes in mason jars

eye and lip liners in a chalice

mascaras in a little plastic cup

bobby pins, tweezers, nail clippers in small candleholders

tubes of daily use things (sunscreen, treatments, samples I'm currently using up) in a little basket.

The black box is my GDE stash...I keep most of my Starlooks products in their own box, too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's not perfect, but as I'm a broke renter, it serves its purpose.

I'm so jealous of you guys with cute desks! The way my stairs are, I can't bring any "real" furniture up here :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Even had to buy a foldable bed frame!

Originally Posted by glamourdolleyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a Malm"dressing table" from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10203610/) that has a big pull out drawer. For the top, I got some Muji drawers (http://www.muji.us/store/storage/acrylic-cases/acrylic-case-5-drawers.html) which are super sturdy acrylic drawers and then another drawer system for under it from Home Depot online (http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202949330?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202949330&R=202949330#.UZas7MpTB_o). That fits perfectly under it without the wheels!

It's pretty messy right now but you get the idea :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I keep all this in my closet with a mirror over it. It holds A LOT of storage. (I keep my samples from boxes in one of the white drawers in a glossybox or in the big drawer if I want to use them sooner)

I'm so in love with this desk you have! Wish I would have seen this post sooner you ladies have some great ideas for makeup storage. 

I have a Malm"dressing table" from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10203610/) that has a big pull out drawer. For the top, I got some Muji drawers (http://www.muji.us/store/storage/acrylic-cases/acrylic-case-5-drawers.html) which are super sturdy acrylic drawers and then another drawer system for under it from Home Depot online (http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202949330?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202949330&R=202949330#.UZas7MpTB_o). That fits perfectly under it without the wheels!

It's pretty messy right now but you get the idea :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I keep all this in my closet with a mirror over it. It holds A LOT of storage. (I keep my samples from boxes in one of the white drawers in a glossybox or in the big drawer if I want to use them sooner)

I just noticed the stool..Where did you get the stool from!?! I love it! I'm obsessed with anything zebra print.

It was an Xmas present but I believe it's from bed bath and beyond
smile.gif
I found it!! Thanks!

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have three stackable metal cabinets that used to be in a kitchen! They are badly in need of a paint job (which I plan to do this summer) but they do the job. My bathroom is overrun so I used them to make a little vanity in my tiny rented bedroom. (Forgive the mess, my cat spilled some powder all over my chest and I haven't cleaned it all up yet...)

The top cabinet is perfumes, lotions, deodorants, hair products.

The second is makeup, organized into empty Glossyboxes (one for lippies, one for single shadows, one for quads and small palettes, one for skincare, one for blushes, one for various, etc.)

The bottom is for larger items and lesser used things, nail polishes...

Then on the chest, I have:

brushes in mason jars

eye and lip liners in a chalice

mascaras in a little plastic cup

bobby pins, tweezers, nail clippers in small candleholders

tubes of daily use things (sunscreen, treatments, samples I'm currently using up) in a little basket.

The black box is my GDE stash...I keep most of my Starlooks products in their own box, too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's not perfect, but as I'm a broke renter, it serves its purpose.

I'm so jealous of you guys with cute desks! The way my stairs are, I can't bring any "real" furniture up here :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Even had to buy a foldable bed frame!
I love the creativity!  You found a way to make it work!

Originally Posted by tabarhodes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wow.....i'm so totally jealous of your makeup stashes!
iagree.gif
 All of my makeup can fit into one cosmetic bag... womp womp.  (my samples, however, are starting to take over the bathroom.  I may need a solution like this soon!

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

iagree.gif
 All of my makeup can fit into one cosmetic bag... womp womp.  (my samples, however, are starting to take over the bathroom.  I may need a solution like this soon!
wow nice! I've actually stopped getting samples because they are more of a pain than anything else. and I never use half of them. 

My goal is to keep my stash at one makeup bag per item. I have one for lip colors, one small one for eyeliners, one for shadows, one for blushes and one for mascaras :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

iagree.gif
I am jealous of you lol. I wish I had never started collecting so I'd never have to worry about storing and using and no-buying haha. As I head over to sephora on my lunch break with a giftcard...

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am jealous of you lol. I wish I had never started collecting so I'd never have to worry about storing and using and no-buying haha. As I head over to sephora on my lunch break with a giftcard...
Hahaha. I did the same thing at lunch - I had planned to just use my birthday free eyeshadow gift card at Bare Escentuals...but they are right next to Sephora and a new Nars liner just screamed so loudly I had to purchase it..and um the sephora foiled eyeliner set. 

*bad Steph, Bad!* :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Dayo Steph /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hahaha. I did the same thing at lunch - I had planned to just use my birthday free eyeshadow gift card at Bare Escentuals...but they are right next to Sephora and a new Nars liner just screamed so loudly I had to purchase it..and um the sephora foiled eyeliner set. 

*bad Steph, Bad!* :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
hahah I was actually not TOO bad. I went in telling myself no eyeshadow, blush, or lip products since I have too many of those. I walked out with a UD heavy metal eyeliner and a refill of my diorshow lash primer. I needed the lash primer and the liner is just fun and unlike anything I have in one product (I have plenty of glitters that I can combine with the right primer to look like it...but OH WELL). I need to do some organizing when I get home...my boyfriend is out of town this week so I have a lot of time to spend with my make up lol.

I have an ikea desk with a hutch and a toolbox. Yes really! I don't have a picture of the whole setup but I attempt to keep everything confined to one area. When I get home from vacation I am attempting to organize it a bit more with some bins for the cubbies in the hutch. And perhaps to jury-rig some sort of thing for the keyboard tray.

There are extra pictures here http://mommysplurge.com/2013/03/makeup-storage/ but they aren't very illuminating past this picture. i got the chest from Harbor Freight.

My husband is a general contractor and about a month ago he came home with this huge toolbox, the top was clear plastic so you could see into it and there were a bunch of small bins to organize small stuff ( my first thought was single eyeseyeshadows!) anyway I asked him to buy one for me and its awesome!!!! of course not all of my makeup fits in the toolbox but its a great organizational tool!

Back