slinka

Weight loss/toning group anyone?

I did weight watchers about this time last year and went from 200 to 165 I was over the moon. I have gained it all back and im beating myself up. I know what I did wrong and I know why I gained it back. I worked so hard and im so disappointed with myself for throwing all my hard work away. I started weight watchers again on Monday and other then a big l hiccup on wed  I have done well. Tonight im sitting on my couch thinking in my head what all I could just gobble up right now and how I could just give up for today and go grocery shopping tomorrow and start at it again. I have about convinced myself since im out of most fresh produce it would be easier just to eat whatever until I go shopping. Writing this horrible thought pattern out is helping me. I know that makes no sense and will not make me feel better. food doesn't fix feelings.... keep repeating... food doesn't fix feelings. im not even hungry quick someone HELP DISTRACT ME!!!!

@@LadyK yes ma'am, I sure do! I track my macros and stuff, and myfitnesspal (or rather, I prefer mynetdiary) is a godsend, it makes everything SO easy. Glad you're doing well! Btw- do you know what gender of human you're having? :) Or are you not that far along yet?

@@lacylei Hey there! I've been in that sort of mindset before- DON'T LET YOURSELF THINK THAT WAY! It's the worst, and boy oh boy is it TOO easy to say "Eh, I already messed up- I'll just start tomorrow"

you know why that's silly? 'Cause this isn't an all-or-nothing game. And what you eat is going to show- you can still do damage control if you "messed up" or whatever. You know? (Another 3,500 calories today is still an extra pound to lose tomorrow. Why give yourself more work to do?)

If you're hungry, then you need to look into what you're eating- you'll find the answer (Like, if you ate a donut earlier...lots of calories, not satiating, and you find yourself hungry a short time later.)

Don't let yourself find excuses- like, just because you don't have such-and-such produce, so therefore you should just each crap.
And if you DO decide you want junk food, just make sure to track your calories and don't go over what you should be consuming. I mean, weight loss is calories- it really doesn't matter too much if 250 extra calories come from chips or fruit, y'know?

And it sounds like you're tempted to eat out of boredom right now, yeah? Go take a walk! Drink a big glass/bottle of cold water! Do both! lol. Seriously, that's a tough thing to overcome (it's so comforting to veg out on the couch with some junk food, I know, I know...) but try and do something good for you that will also distract yourself from eating. Sew, knit, walk (got a dog? Take him/her along!), play around with makeup...whatever will take your mind off of unneeded food!

Sorry if I went off topic from what you said- I can't see your original post to reply exactly too, and I'm also full of caffeine and anxiety right now, lol. So if I come across a little frantic- that's why! I'm totally meaning to say all of this with good intent and good vibes, just in case it's not coming across well in text-form  :)

Edited by slinka
sentences, how does one construct them?
  • Like 1

@@LadyK yes ma'am, I sure do! I track my macros and stuff, and myfitnesspal (or rather, I prefer mynetdiary) is a godsend, it makes everything SO easy. Glad you're doing well! Btw- do you know what gender of human you're having? :) Or are you not that far along yet?

We just found out we're having a girl. :)  

I'm excited.  I have also been having a good time exploring healthy snack options.  I get cravings for junk food so I've been trying to figure out what the craving is REALLY for.  Like when I want kit kats it's really something about the chocolate so I have a few 66% dark chocolate cooking wafers and I'm good.  Or when I want something crunchy, plain popcorn instead of chips.  Whole foods has some good options in their bulk section.  Dried fruits and nuts, etc.  

Aw, congrats @@LadyK ! I have 2 girls who aren't in the "I'm going to murder them" puberty stage...yet. lol. Enjoy that little girl :)

You're absolutely doing the right thing by investigating the cravings and using better substitutes! Great job :) I'm sure baby is thanking you.

I remember someone posted some chart that showed (This prroooobbably is not scientific, idk!) like, a column of "what you're craving" and the next column was "What you're body wants/needs" and then the next coloumn listed healthy foods that contain that, so like, chips would actually be a want for choloride or something, and nuts might be a food listed.

• Like 1

I've seen some of those!  A friend kept craving coca cola and found out that coke contains an amino acid found on red meat.  She was a vegetarian so decided that she would have small amounts of meat during the pregnancy.  Her coke craving went away!  It's amazing how the body tells us what it wants.  

I went to a wedding this past weekend and met someone who had recently lost 30 lbs.  Hearing her story and seeing all she has accomplished while having a medical condition, inspired me to restart my journey (for like the 15th time this year!)

I went to the gym, did my weight and measurements yesterday and will be tracking my progress every 2 weeks for the next 90 days (end date 11/4/14).  I have been doing portion control, lots of water and need to find a good food tracking app.

Today I was walking for work (being green!, getting exercise!) and I saw some Dorritos on the ground.  I am not even a big fan of Dorritos but I had irrational thoughts of how sad someone had wasted all those chips!  Saw a man with an ice cream cone and wanted to knock it out of his hands and eat the deliciousness but I did not.  Even craved a Starbucks tea and passed.

I know once I get into the habit/practice of making good choices and exercising it will get easier but today was hard.

I have fallen off the wagon! Things with school have made my diet and exercise terrible. Thankfully living in the city makes me walk a lot. A few miles a day at least. But my diet had flown off the rails because I have no time to prepare my own foods! I'm running a 5k over Labor Day weekend so I'm hoping I can at least keep up with my stepmom. Gonna go run a mile now!

• Like 1

Yay for getting back on the wagon! (Even if it is for like, the 15th time, lol)

I neeeeeeed so badly to go get some groceries....but I so don't feel like it. I'll probably just end up making do with what I have...I have a whole pantry of stuff to use up and I need to expand my food choices anyways (I'm stuck in another phase, eating only like, 4 things -_- This can't be a normal thing, can it? lol)

So school/university is starting up for many people, including me. What steps are you guys taking to make sure you don't fall victim to that sneaky part of your brain that says, "Oh, just get that big fat burger and milkshake for lunch today...just this time..." or the voice that says, "Eh...why bother exercising today? Blehhh"

I'm [unfortunately] stuck at a campus 1.5 hours away from the one I started at, but luckily the schedule is set and I KNOW that every day I will have an hour for lunch. I do not think this campus has a gym :( BUT I'm going to bring a bag with my workout clothes, some cleansing wipes, my arm band/phone holder thingy and my running shoes and jog around the campus during my break. I figure this will also help me stay alert during the second half of lectures. Win-win. And of course, food will be brought from home- too poor to buy anything out. I'll honestly most likely end up not eating, just because I typically don't eat until later anyways, but I'll bring a home-made protein bar or something just in case I do need the energy. :)

So now's the time, you school-goers, to make a plan and stick to it ;)

I have to pack my own lunch if I want to eat healthy on campus.  There are just no healthy options where I am.  Staying fit is easy at school.  I work on the fourth floor and the elevators break all the time so we all take the stairs.  Instant stair master!  

I've decided that I want to start working out this semester. I get free gym membership with my college, and I really have no excuse. I'm not planning on dieting, or pursuing weight loss, I just want to get buff.

Yep. You read that right. I want to get cut. I want men to fear me when I flex. I've always wanted to look powerful, but it also has a bit of a social experiment. I want to see how differently men will treat me when I am physically on their level. There seems to be this stigma that women with muscles are "ugly", but I just think men are afraid of having their butt kicked by a lady. I wonder if getting muscly will make men second guess touching/talking to me inappropriately. 

I think it will be a fun experiment. :)

This is embarrassing but I have a question if you guys don't mind. 

I suffered from EDNOS (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) It was anorexia, except I also exercised constantly and when I did eat I used laxatives.

I started at an unhealthy weight and lost 50 pounds in two months. This was a year ago. I have gained my weight back in the past year after rehab, but I'm stuck again at an unhealthy weight.

How do you guys control yourself from doing too much? From restricting too much or working out too much and becoming unhealthy? 

@ hey. Don't be embarrassed. :) So, I don't talk about it but I've been through some...stuff. I can relate, we'll leave it at that.

So I want to say that I am not a doctor, not even a nurse (yet) lol. Also- are you saying that now you're legit overweight or underweight? Just for clarity. You can pm me if you want btw, especially if you'd rather not post publicly certain things. :)

Ok, firstly, in treatment they should've given you advice/papers/counseling on how to normalize your eating habits and how to cope in a more healthy manner. Please follow those things from your medical advisors.

Now as for me- and I don't feel completely comfortable advising this for you as I don't want to cause distress for you if it does- so this is just what *I* do- I track what I eat And make sure I'm eating enough. If the calorie numbers start causing anxiety or whatever, I take my (healthy!) daily caloric goal, and subtract the number I've eaten- so let's say I'm not liking how big 800cals looks- well, I revert to my phone calculator and subtract 800 from say, 1200. So now I see 400 (I get fixated on numbers so this might seem strangr lol) and anything else I eat I subtract the caloric value from 400. So I see numbers going down and it helps calm me down. And when I've eaten enough I see a big 0!

If you're overweight you'll be focusing on not eating too much, and that can be a slippery slope when dealing with an ed. Focus on eating the right things for a satiated feeling and for the benefits of good nutrition. You're also less likely to feel as much guilt when you eat clean. I'd do that until you're feeling comfortable, healthy and in control.

I'm personally working on muscle building so I've made exercise very crucial, but I have to make a plan beforehand and vow to stick to it, lest I fall back into doing 6 hours of fasted cardio in place of sleeping. So I only do an hour a day of cardio, and immediately switch to weights for an hour. And then I stop. I try to time this so I HAVE to stop- like lasts semester for example, I'd workout and it would be timed to end when I had to go get my daughter from school. Now it's when I get home from school, and I have to stop at a say 6, to make dinner. And after that my husband is home and stuff so I get distracted and then I have to bathe the youngest and prepare for the following day or whatever.

It takes A LOT of work And a lot of dedication to stay on the recovery train. By far, the biggest thing aside from my children that kept me in line was focusing that need for control on to a healthy lifestyle. Aim for healthy- which is also why building muscle is so great- you're utilizing all that control AND working towards a positive body goal. It helps lift your mental state as well when you focus on nourishment and good exercise.

So that's what I do. I admittedly don't always succeed every single day. I still have really hard days. But that's life when you're dealing with this kind of hand that was dealt.

I'm sorry that this got a bit rambley lol. Let me know if I can answer anything.

Edited by slinka

@@pokeballssohard that's awesome! I've always loved to draw comic book superhero/villain-esque ladies (think ladydeath, purgatory) and have always loved (albeit they're terribly sexualized...but I like that in Way I guess?) the lady characters on mortal kombat. When I lift weights I always pretend I'm working on becoming like them lol. Strong chicks are rad! I would LOVE to hear the results of that experiment btw. I know there's tons of dudes out there that would love to have an Amazonian warrior lookin chick, but I bet most dudes would be a bit intimidated if not embarrassed that you look better/are stronger.

Anyways- get it girl. That's Damn awesome

Edited by slinka
  • Like 1

@ hey. Don't be embarrassed. :) So, I don't talk about it but I've been through some...stuff. I can relate, we'll leave it at that.

So I want to say that I am not a doctor, not even a nurse (yet) lol. Also- are you saying that now you're legit overweight or underweight? Just for clarity. You can pm me if you want btw, especially if you'd rather not post publicly certain things. :)

Ok, firstly, in treatment they should've given you advice/papers/counseling on how to normalize your eating habits and how to cope in a more healthy manner. Please follow those things from your medical advisors.

Now as for me- and I don't feel completely comfortable advising this for you as I don't want to cause distress for you if it does- so this is just what *I* do- I track what I eat And make sure I'm eating enough. If the calorie numbers start causing anxiety or whatever, I take my (healthy!) daily caloric goal, and subtract the number I've eaten- so let's say I'm not liking how big 800cals looks- well, I revert to my phone calculator and subtract 800 from say, 1200. So now I see 400 (I get fixated on numbers so this might seem strangr lol) and anything else I eat I subtract the caloric value from 400. So I see numbers going down and it helps calm me down. And when I've eaten enough I see a big 0!

If you're overweight you'll be focusing on not eating too much, and that can be a slippery slope when dealing with an ed. Focus on eating the right things for a satiated feeling and for the benefits of good nutrition. You're also less likely to feel as much guilt when you eat clean. I'd do that until you're feeling comfortable, healthy and in control.

I'm personally working on muscle building so I've made exercise very crucial, but I have to make a plan beforehand and vow to stick to it, lest I fall back into doing 6 hours of fasted cardio in place of sleeping. So I only do an hour a day of cardio, and immediately switch to weights for an hour. And then I stop. I try to time this so I HAVE to stop- like lasts semester for example, I'd workout and it would be timed to end when I had to go get my daughter from school. Now it's when I get home from school, and I have to stop at a say 6, to make dinner. And after that my husband is home and stuff so I get distracted and then I have to bathe the youngest and prepare for the following day or whatever.

It takes A LOT of work And a lot of dedication to stay on the recovery train. By far, the biggest thing aside from my children that kept me in line was focusing that need for control on to a healthy lifestyle. Aim for healthy- which is also why building muscle is so great- you're utilizing all that control AND working towards a positive body goal. It helps lift your mental state as well when you focus on nourishment and good exercise.

So that's what I do. I admittedly don't always succeed every single day. I still have really hard days. But that's life when you're dealing with this kind of hand that was dealt.

I'm sorry that this got a bit rambley lol. Let me know if I can answer anything.

I'm overweight, my entire family has. I've always been overweight. In fact I've never been underweight, only to my healthy weight. I've been as close as 121, and that's losing 50 pounds. And when I started that wasn't even my biggest I've been. 

I pretty much always count up calories in my head, but sometimes i just block it out. I don't need to keep track on my phone. Maybe it's just too early. I should stick to eating whatever and maybe just light working out for now? Rehab taught me well but I wasn't there the full time because of non-suportive family who believed it wasn't a problem because I wasn't underweight yet

I'm sorry your family wasn't supportive and seem to have a flawed view as to what an ed is. Its not just AN, I wish more people understood that.

Anyways, if you're tracking calories in your head than you know you're having too many. I'd suggest figuring out your tdee and subtracting 500 calories per day, reevaluating your caloric needs every 10 pounds lost. Also- if you're eyeballing portion sizes you're probably way of- most people are. Disregard if you're measuring your food of course.

Exercise is great and everyone should do some very frequently- but it's no magic bullet. You can't outtrain a bad diet.

But most importantly do what's best for you both physically and mentally. I can't say what that is for you personally, but I'm more than happy to offer up my own experiences and knowledge IF it can help you find your path to health. :)

Edited by slinka

Hey kids, I'm super busy with my studying and trying to get into a good routine with school now in the picture- but I thought I'd drop in and share a recipe from and awesome site ( ohsheglows.com ) that you might find useful. It's the "No-bake Almond Joy Granola Bars" :) So this could be a nice grab n' go breakfast for ya.
The Nutritional info: (based on 14 servings, per bar with chocolate chips): 193 cals, 12.6 grams fat, 16.5 grams carbs, 3.5 grams fibre, 5.8 grams sugar, 5 grams protein.

Ingredients:
1.5 cups rolled oats (use certified gluten-free if necessary)
1 cup rice crisp cereal
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup roasted almond butter
1/4 cup coconut nectar syrup (or you can try brown rice syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of fine grain sea salt or pink Himalayan salt, to taste
1.5 tablespoons non-dairy mini chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life brand, optional)

Directions:
Line an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each way so it's easy to lift out.
In a large bowl, stir together the oats, rice crisp cereal, sliced almonds, coconut, and chia seeds.
In a medium pot over low heat, melt the coconut oil. Remove from heat and stir in the almond butter, coconut nectar, and vanilla, until smooth.
Pour wet mixture over dry and stir well until thoroughly combined. Add a pinch of salt to taste and stir again.
Spoon mixture into the pan and roughly spread out (but don't pack down yet). Sprinkle on the chocolate chips in an even layer. Wet hands lightly and then press down the mixture until even. Use a pastry roller to roll it out and pack it in even more.
Transfer pan to the freezer for about 10 minutes until firm. Slice into bars, wrap, and store in the fridge or freezer. These bars fall apart easily so I don't recommend leaving them at room temperature for longer than a few minutes.

almondjoybars_zps6b3f412e.png
Photo cred to ohsheglows.com

Edited by slinka
  • Like 1

Happy September!  How is everyone doing this month?  Wanted to post since I have a success to post!  Haha might be kind of long (winded) as I usually am.

I recommitted myself to fitness after I got home from a trip in the bay area.  I wanted to work out 5x per week.  Of the 20 days in August I made it 16/20!  I missed a few days as I got the death plague upon my return from the bay.

I was getting really frustrated as the whole month I had only lost .6 lb.  Before I started my journey I had done measurements so at the end of the month I did measurements again and I lost 9.5 inches and by the end of the month 3.2 lbs!

My goals for September are 5x per week working out and to do weights 2x per week.  I only got weights in one time this week because I lifted too much and have been super sore but I still did my cardio.

Hope everyone is doing well!  Have to prepare now for the holidays which will be here before we know it!

@@lovepink That's awesome! Great work- congrats on your successes!

I'm SO freakin swamped. I'm taking a break right now for a moment so I don't gouge my eyes out from all of this studying. Nursing school is nonstop. Had a test Thursday, Friday- will have a test Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
-_-

Needless to say my fitness time has decreased drastically. I still, most days of the week (Unless I NEED that hour to study even more...), run during my hour lunch break- and I lift things when I can at home. Not as much as I'd like, but I guess my goal right now is just maintaining the muscle I worked for previously- and hey, making smaller gains is better than making none, right? I have also been bringing resistance bands to class so I can do things with them under the table mindlessly during lecture. It helps keep me alert and it makes me feel slightly better about having no choice but to sit on my ass from 9-3 (not including my 3 hours of driving per day...) lol. And yeah, it's 5 days a week and it's literally all in one room...I don't even get the normal activity of walking to a different classroom :(

I can't wait for this semester to be OVER, I tell ya.

My nutrition is still good- not over consuming and keeping it clean, albeit I'm not able to eat as much as I probably should (Nursing school also stole all of my money. yayyyy). But hey, I'm also not doing cardio/weights 2-3 hours a day either, so eh.

New favorite snack:  grapes.  They give me the satisfaction of something sweet and I can eat a ton without really consuming any calories.  They also are so easy, I just wash and pop a bunch into a bowl to eat.  I don't have to worry about mindlessly eating too many.  

• Like 1

@@LadyK I went through a major grape phase, loved them frozen when I lived in stupid-hot texas. :)

Ugh this week has just sucked. I've done well on my tests (I made a perfect score on the one I took today!)- but haven't been able to run during lunch at all this week- they've been used to study or take tests. -_- So then I have to fit in an hour or so later in my day- which is just a big 'ol pain.

Oh well, not every day is gonna be perfect- I just need to accept the reality of the situation =p

Hey fitness buddies, how is everyone??

I'm busy as ever, but thought I'd stop by and share this, since I am forever in love with anything pumpkin and anything coffee- and I'm also about an hour and a half from the nearest starbucks, even if I were to want a pumpkin spice latte (stupid dairy being in it...lame)...

Anywho- diet and wallet friendly version right here!:

"Ingredients:
*  8 oz brewed coffee (or 1-2 shots espresso)
* .5 cup unsweetened almond milk
*  3 Tbsp pure pumpkin puree
*  1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
* .5 tsp vanilla
*  2-3 drops liquid stevia (or sweetener of your choice)
*  Sprinkle of cinnamon 

Directions:
1. In a cup or saucepan, mix together almond milk and pumpkin. Cook on medium heat on the stove or microwave for 30-45 seconds.
2. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, spices, and sweetener, place in a cup and use frother to foam the milk. You can also use a blender- just process for 30 seconds or until foamy.
3. Pour coffee into a large mug, add the foamy milk mixture on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Enjoy!"

This recipe is from the "eatingbirdfood" blog, just FYI ;)  

Just checking in since the leaves are turning and your body wants to go into hibernation!  I have had some success in my recommmitment to fitness!

Sept Stats

1.  Lost 5 lbs Total lbs lost 8.2 (Aug & Sept) 

2. Lost 7 inches Total inches lost 16.5 ( Aug & Sept)

3. Worked out 21/22 times!

Goals for October

1.  Add weights

2.  Work out week of my bday which is also the week I have family in town

3.  Be more conscious of food intake: content/amount etc

4.  Fit in tall boots!  I have always had big calves and dream of being able to wear boots!  Even the wide calf ones never fit!

Hope everyone is meeting their goals!

• Like 2

Great work and goals @@lovepink! I've been alright- I'm basically just maintaining/making superrrr slow progress since my days are so packed and I fight to keep some workout time. My goal for October is to not go crazy and to keep up my regimen.

I can't wait for this semester to be OVER.

• Like 2