Weight loss/toning group anyone?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all! I meant to post sooner but I forgot. I'm trying to lose 50 pounds by next June (when I finish my grad program). I've been taking a spin class 2-3 times a week for an hour each but plan to bump that up since I dropped a class and another class is ending. Sometimes I don't make it to the gym or find myself off the rails if I'm studying like crazy. (Like this last week... And probably this coming week... Wahhh) So far I've managed to lose 5 pounds in my 3-4 weeks of actually trying. I've been posting on my Instagram what I've been eating and finding other IGers who've lost a lot of weight. Sometimes it's helpful (recipes, photos, etc) but sometimes is annoying (lots of selfies. Lots. Of. Selfies. People trying to get you to buy wraps... Annoying).

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi all! I meant to post sooner but I forgot. I'm trying to lose 50 pounds by next June (when I finish my grad program). I've been taking a spin class 2-3 times a week for an hour each but plan to bump that up since I dropped a class and another class is ending. Sometimes I don't make it to the gym or find myself off the rails if I'm studying like crazy. (Like this last week... And probably this coming week... Wahhh)

So far I've managed to lose 5 pounds in my 3-4 weeks of actually trying. I've been posting on my Instagram what I've been eating and finding other IGers who've lost a lot of weight. Sometimes it's helpful (recipes, photos, etc) but sometimes is annoying (lots of selfies. Lots. Of. Selfies. People trying to get you to buy wraps... Annoying).
pleasure to have you! Sounds like you're off to a fantastic start, keep it up! I understand what you mean with the studying...it gets hectic!

IG is annoying like that...I follow one lady and she's just posting a before and after everyday, with the before being like, yesterday. lol.

I keep my insta mostly unrelated to fitness...well, I DO have food pics sometimes...but only sometimes ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm hoping that some of us will feel comfortable and confident enough to post our before/afters after a while...wouldn't that be neat? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anywho...I need to get some sleep....Get y'alls cardio in, damnit!

I always joke that Jillian Michaels is trying to kill me. But my waist has been reduced/shaped thanks to a lot of twisting moves and cross punching.  I have been shutting her down after 20 min. Will try to last 30....

Quote: Originally Posted by glitteraddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I always joke that Jillian Michaels is trying to kill me. But my waist has been reduced/shaped thanks to a lot of twisting moves and cross punching.  I have been shutting her down after 20 min. Will try to last 30....
I have like, all of her DVDs lol. I think she hates all of us =p

Just kidding, she's encouraging. My elliptical even came with a couple of workouts (Like a chip you plug in to it).

OMG by my 20 the minute I'm just like ok I'll Start cooling down now. Haha.

Quote: Originally Posted by slinka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by shahparacha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Very true. You can't spot train to lose fat. But you can spot train to tone up (meaning gain lean muscle) in an area. I actually lost a lot of weight following the rules of the Paleo lifestyle after hearing that Megan Fox did it from a post on GlamThread: http://glamthread.com/meganfoxdiet/
Truth spoken!

Sorry to be so silent lately (I check for replies all the time and no one had any questions or concerns) I haven't been feeling well and have been busy. Speaking of which *attends to toddler has just learned to jump out of her crib*

...anywho...
Let's make tomorrow a fantastic start of the week! As your challenge- I want you to make sure you get at least 30 minutes of cardio(anything you can do to raise that heart rate!).

How was everyone's weekend? Did you stay true to your plans? Are you keeping motivation?

Hey ladies, hope everyone is sticking to their goals and plans. My weekend was okay. Finally did the wardrobe switch from summer to fall/winter. That was a workout in itself!

Today was good as I made some spinach lasagna for Meatless Monday. Also got in a 4 mile walk (which took me a little over one hour). So I feel like I accomplished something today.

How is everyone else doing?

Well i have yet to replace my scale, so number wise i'm not sure where i'm at a week in...buuuuttt....my pant's for work aren't quite so tight (as in no longer having to lay down to button them,lol) and i have a little more energy...so i count it as a win. also i tried a quinoa side dish tonight(store bought one) and i liked it...so i'll probably be buying the big bag of the organic one soon.

Glad everyone is doing so well and/or getting beaten up by Jillian Michaels lol.

Today's tip:

Calorie counting sometimes gets a bad rap- but I (and many others) still stand by it. Know how I like to count? With an app! I have 2 recommendations (And I'm not sure what devices they are available for...if neither is available for your device, just explore the apps that are!) that I love. I have an iPhone and I love MyNetDiary and MyFitnessPal.
[There have been times when Mynetdiary flipped out and told me that my whole days worth of calories eaten (300...which is too low, don't do that!!!) and calories burned (Around 600) was too high of a calorie intake! I was like...nooo, I think you're mistaken. (For the record, I was just nauseous that day and couldn't stand the thought of food...but felt well enough otherwise to exercise a bit).But it hasn't done that in quite a while. ]

What these apps do is allow you to look up almost any food (even fast food and restaraunts...hell, I even found ikea food!) and choose the number of servings you consumed, and it does the math for you! It's so easy and convenient. If somehow you find a food that isn't there, you can add it and it's nutritional values. (I even put my own recipes on there so I don't have to add everything separately every time). You can also input your exercises and it will give you an approximation of calories you burned.
It does calculate your bmi and gives you a calorie goal so you can reach your goal weight (and by the date you want), but I always tend to use my own calorie goal, which is significantly lower...so use your best judgment. Like, if you are significantly overweight, and you know you can safely eat 1500 calories and thereby lose more than say, 2 pounds a week (which the app will tell you is the recommended goal), then I'd go for it.

Do you already use an app? What do you think of them?

And...what are you making for dinner? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Im sitting through a FOUR HOUR midterm tonight. I've been studying all week. [@]slinka[/@] , dinner tonight will be after that exam and it will consist of whiskey and more whiskey and scotch and maybe a cherry somewhere there :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Im sitting through a FOUR HOUR midterm tonight. I've been studying all week. @slinka , dinner tonight will be after that exam and it will consist of whiskey and more whiskey and scotch and maybe a cherry somewhere there
smile.gif

bahaha, watch them whiskey calories =p

Ok, I temporarily "fell off the wagon" during Thanksgiving weekend. Turkey-good, Pumpkin pie with whipped cream- not so good.  But on the bright side, I passed on the gravy. Time to get back on...

Ok, I temporarily "fell off the wagon" during Thanksgiving weekend. Turkey-good, Pumpkin pie with whipped cream- not so good.  But on the bright side, I passed on the gravy. Time to get back on...
Hey it's ok- you gotta live a little!

Glad you had a good meal! Welcome back to the wagon!

No tip today- too sad. Sorry y'all.

Wait...how 'bout we just go with the flow...

It's ok to have a little "yolo" meal every once in a while. Some do one meal a week, some do once a month...I like to save mine for special occasions. Just make sure you don't LOSE YOUR MIND and eat every fried thing you can get your hands on... just eat a little something something of something you looove...like that slice of pizza you've been craving, But just a slice! Not the whole pizza!

Invented this casserole on the weekend: Open to suggestions for different variations...

Cheesy Chicken Quinoa casserole

2-3 chicken breasts- raw & thawed

1/2 c wild/brown rice blend

1/2 c quinoa

1 can cheese & broccoli soup

1 c milk

1 c water

1/4 c diced onions

1 tbsp. garlic

2 tbsp. parm cheese

salt, pepper

Cook in a casserole dish at 350 for 70-75 min

Invented this casserole on the weekend: Open to suggestions for different variations...

Cheesy Chicken Quinoa casserole

2-3 chicken breasts- raw & thawed

1/2 c wild/brown rice blend

1/2 c quinoa

1 can cheese & broccoli soup

1 c milk

1 c water

1/4 c diced onions

1 tbsp. garlic

2 tbsp. parm cheese

salt, pepper

Cook in a casserole dish at 350 for 70-75 min
You can spice it up (I eat everything spicy lol) with some cayenne and green chiles.  Maybe some mexican-stewed tomatoes. Mmmm.

I'd remove the dairy for myself and replace it with almond milk and a vegan "Cheese" sauced made from Nutritional yeast, and of course take out the chicken. (Could replace with that fake-chicken stuff, but personally I HATE the way it tastes...I blame my last pregnancy for that one!)

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't know if I fit with this group but I would like to be a part of it.  I am very healthy and at a good weight but sometimes feel a little bad about the way my body has changed.  I also have some tips I can share on how I easily work in some extra calorie burners throughout the day. I am around 5'10 and weigh around 130 pounds, I ware mostly smalls and sizes 4 or 6.  However I have had 4 kids, ages 7,3,2,1.  So  a few things on my body have changed.  I am great with my weight and have a nice toned and flat stomache, but, man, even though my thighs and butt are a nice shape they are loose and untoned.  I get discouraged at that because I work so hard.  I have a full time job, then come home and chase kids and play in the backyard, then go almost every night on a walk with the kids.  I pull with one hand the two seater wagon and push with the other hand a stroller.  We walk about 48 minutes each time.  But, no matter what I do I do not care for my thighs because I can never seem to tone them.  Any ideas.

I know I am a weeny bit late to this thread but I really wanted to join. Anyways, here goes. I am trying to lose 50 pounds that I have put on after a series of unsuccessful diets. The way I have limited myself is that I eat strictly vegetarian. I do my breakfasts vegan with delicious fruit smoothies. For lunch I usually do sandwich and a salad. For dinner I usually have whatever my family is having plus a vegetable type of protein substited for whatever meat they're having. My one downfall is that I often find myself too busy to exercise. I have just bought myself some cute new sneakers (which were on mega sale, 75% off!) so I'm hoping that helps encourage me. I really want to get into healthy habits before I go off to college.

Quote: Originally Posted by Momma4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I don't know if I fit with this group but I would like to be a part of it.  I am very healthy and at a good weight but sometimes feel a little bad about the way my body has changed.  I also have some tips I can share on how I easily work in some extra calorie burners throughout the day. I am around 5'10 and weigh around 130 pounds, I ware mostly smalls and sizes 4 or 6.  However I have had 4 kids, ages 7,3,2,1.  So  a few things on my body have changed.  I am great with my weight and have a nice toned and flat stomache, but, man, even though my thighs and butt are a nice shape they are loose and untoned.  I get discouraged at that because I work so hard.  I have a full time job, then come home and chase kids and play in the backyard, then go almost every night on a walk with the kids.  I pull with one hand the two seater wagon and push with the other hand a stroller.  We walk about 48 minutes each time.  But, no matter what I do I do not care for my thighs because I can never seem to tone them.  Any ideas.
even though i'm over weight at the present time, i spent many years having dance instruction and picked up a few toning exercises...i *used* to have great legs and a great butt...well for my size now they still look pretty good,lol.

first one is easy:

lay on your back with your butt against a wall,legs straight up like you are sitting on the wall...have a nice calm relaxing song on..something thats last 5 mins approx. when the music starts you let your legs drop down to your sides as far as they can forming a v on the wall...hold it for the duration of the song...when this no longer leaves your thighs on fire spice it up by pumpin your legs up and down at your sides about 12 inches for the duration of the next song...trust me you will hate this with a passion...but it hurts so good.

a buns and thighs toner:

get on your knees,legs fairly close together...essentially you will be doing motions that make you look like a dog peeing,lol. starting on one side you bring your knee staight out,ankle paralell to the knee, leg parralell to the floor(dog peeing remember?) do 25 of these each side. then switch it up by taking you foot straight behind your back pushing your heel to the ceiling. 25 each side on theses as well

third one:

lay on your side as you would for typical leg lifts, do a set of 25 on one side, but before switching to the other side cross your top leg over the bottom in front of you with knee bent. use your bottom leg(still out straight) and do a set of 25 lifts on that one...you should essentially feel like you are pushing your heel up, switch and do the other side 

keep up aerobic activity...and strip aerobics are amazing for toning...and a lot of fun too.

now i just have to get off my lazy a$$ and start doing these again.

I kept meaning to join in on this group but then midterms started and I completely forgot! My goal is basically to tone up my arms and stomach. My legs have always been pretty toned from soccer and running, but 3 months of intensive physical therapy on my left knee/leg had me pack on 10lbs of muscle concentrated in my legs and I want the rest of my body to catch up. I don't really plan on changing my diet because I pretty much only eat fruit/veg and fish already, although I do indulge in pizza or french fries or something carb heavy twice a week.

I'm just recently starting to get back into working out regularly again. I used to run 5 miles every single day before my first knee injury (almost 3 years ago) and do a bunch of squats, lunges, etc., but that's unfortunately a thing of the past. I still have bad days where I struggle going up or down a flight of stairs without my knee creaking in protest, so I have to keep any cardio I do to low impact stuff like biking, "running" on the elliptical, or swimming. 

My current routine is 2-2.5 miles on the elliptical, 5 sets of 10 on the leg press at 100lbs*, 3 sets of 10 of leg curls at 85lbs*, 4 sets of 10 on the lateral pulldown at 44lbs, and 1 more mile on the elliptical. I try to do this 2-3x a week but it's been more like once a week this past month because of school and work. I'm thinking about upping it to 4-5x a week now that I don't have any more exams until December and slowly increasing the weights on the machines. I also do 40-50 push ups every night at home.

*approved by my physical therapist who gave me a list of leg exercises and machines to avoid.

Do any of you ladies have any suggestions for ab exercises? I have a lot of trouble with crunches/sit ups - my back starts popping like crazy and it's pretty painful so I tend to avoid them.

Quote: Originally Posted by norther /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do any of you ladies have any suggestions for ab exercises? I have a lot of trouble with crunches/sit ups - my back starts popping like crazy and it's pretty painful so I tend to avoid them.
Hmmm. Hip hop abs? lol

Maybe take a look through these and see what you can/can't do? http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=blogilates+ab+exercises&qpvt=blogilates+ab+exercises&FORM=VDRE Anything from Blogilates is great :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And welcome new member(s)!

Let's make tomorrow the start of a great week!

Do you have your tomorrow planned out? No more excuses, group newbies!

Back