Sign in to follow this  
kawaiisofoxy

December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Quote:

Hey there! I'm on a no-buy too! Good luck.

Just wanted to give you a facewash tip. Ok, I use Clinique Acne Solutions, but I'm actually thinking about just purchasing the toner and moisturizer, and skipping the cleanser. Why? Because I've read so many times that you shouldn't invest in a cleanser as it just removes what's on your face and doesn't actually stay on your skin long enough to absorb. What you should invest in are the serums and creams you use, that actually stay on your face for more than 3 minutes.

So, in that vein, I'd suggest the following cleanser: LL

Thank you for the rec! I went into CVS yesterday and bout a neutrogena cleanser similar to this but without parabens. That will be my last beauty/skincare/nail purchase of 2013! :)

After some deep thinking I decided to go on a no-buy for the entire year of 2014!

I am not allowed to buy any make-up for the entire year with the following exceptions:

- I can purchase a few more lipproducts, but not exceed my 8 product limit

- If I run out of somehting, I can buy a replacement. For example, if I run out of mascara I can just buy a new one and it doesn't have to be the same one.

I want to also apply the same rules to my hair, face and body products, I don't have much excess there, but I have a few backup products and products that do essentially the same thing (a body butter, lotion, milk, butter in a bar form, large jar of nivea cream) and I just want to bring that down to one product. Once I do that I can ofcourse buy replacements or repurchase items.

I am quite content with my jewelry 'collection', it all fits in a little jewelry box, save for a few items that have their own box to prevent damage. In terms of clothing I actually have too little clothing. But since I am on a weightloss trip, I just want to get to a weight that fits my body better and then purchase some new clothes.

To prevent myself from overspending, I give my self a budget of 50 euro's a month for clothing, makeup (repurchases), jewelry, skincare, hair- and bodyproducts, gifts and schoolsupplies. My groceries have a seperate budget. It's not a lot of money, so if I am really struggling I will adjust my budget accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misame View Post

After some deep thinking I decided to go on a no-buy for the entire year of 2014!

I am not allowed to buy any make-up for the entire year with the following exceptions:

- I can purchase a few more lipproducts, but not exceed my 8 product limit

- If I run out of somehting, I can buy a replacement. For example, if I run out of mascara I can just buy a new one and it doesn't have to be the same one.

I want to also apply the same rules to my hair, face and body products, I don't have much excess there, but I have a few backup products and products that do essentially the same thing (a body butter, lotion, milk, butter in a bar form, large jar of nivea cream) and I just want to bring that down to one product. Once I do that I can ofcourse buy replacements or repurchase items.

I am quite content with my jewelry 'collection', it all fits in a little jewelry box, save for a few items that have their own box to prevent damage. In terms of clothing I actually have too little clothing. But since I am on a weightloss trip, I just want to get to a weight that fits my body better and then purchase some new clothes.

To prevent myself from overspending, I give my self a budget of 50 euro's a month for clothing, makeup (repurchases), jewelry, skincare, hair- and bodyproducts, gifts and schoolsupplies. My groceries have a seperate budget. It's not a lot of money, so if I am really struggling I will adjust my budget accordingly.

Stand strong! I am also doing a no-buy for the entire year. and mine is definitely an absolute no-buy.

The only things I am allowing myself to buy are toiletries if I run out, and things like...mascara, since it goes bad so fast, or foundation if I run out. Everything else I already have enough of to last me quite a year if not more. I am not allowing myself a budget either because hubby and I have decided to start saving for a house downpayment, so unless I absolutely am out of something that is necessary, there's no budget. I guess I can try a budget for when something IS needed, but allowing myself a monthly budget only makes me feel like it's okay to use it (even when there's nothing I need).

We can totally do this!

I am hoping to do a partial no-buy in 2014 (unless I use stuff up).  My no buy is of lotions, body sprays, shampoos, perfumes, conditioners, candles, and bath/shower wash.

I can only buy those things if I use up or have to throw out every single such product I own- unlikely, at best, with the possible exception of the shower wash and candles.  It is honestly disturbing how much I've accumulated of all those items. I hope to also be on a nail polish no buy for the first few months of the year, but know myself well enough to know I won't actually do a nail polish no buy for a whole year.

Regarding everything else, I am just going to try to be more careful/mindful about how much I already have, whether I already have something identical or very very similar, whether I really need something, just really want something a lot , or only actually kind of want it. I'm also going to try to think over most purchases for at least 8 hours before pulling the trigger.

Oh also so far my no buy this month is going well.  The only thing I have spent money on, still, are the two gifts I got a few days ago. I will probably have to buy some food eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylilee View Post

Stand strong! I am also doing a no-buy for the entire year. and mine is definitely an absolute no-buy.

The only things I am allowing myself to buy are toiletries if I run out, and things like...mascara, since it goes bad so fast, or foundation if I run out. Everything else I already have enough of to last me quite a year if not more. I am not allowing myself a budget either because hubby and I have decided to start saving for a house downpayment, so unless I absolutely am out of something that is necessary, there's no budget. I guess I can try a budget for when something IS needed, but allowing myself a monthly budget only makes me feel like it's okay to use it (even when there's nothing I need).

We can totally do this!

Awesome to be not alone in this! For me it would be great I would run out of anything, altough, like you, I am pretty sure I am stocked for next year, except maybe for concealer and mascara. But if I do happen to use up all of my gelliner, I won't be stopping myself from repurchasing.

My budget is mostly there to prevent myself from putting my shopping addiction to another subject like clothes or games. I really want to save money, but I do need to have some kind of budget for gifts (I happen to buy people way too expensive gifts) and schoolsupplies (art school is really expensive on a monthly basis).

But good for you for trying it hardcore (oh that sounds wrong..), We can do this indeed! Anyone else up for a 365 day no-buy?

Awesome to be not alone in this! For me it would be great I would run out of anything, altough, like you, I am pretty sure I am stocked for next year, except maybe for concealer and mascara. But if I do happen to use up all of my gelliner, I won't be stopping myself from repurchasing. My budget is mostly there to prevent myself from putting my shopping addiction to another subject like clothes or games. I really want to save money, but I do need to have some kind of budget for gifts (I happen to buy people way too expensive gifts) and schoolsupplies (art school is really expensive on a monthly basis). But good for you for trying it hardcore (oh that sounds wrong..), We can do this indeed! Anyone else up for a 365 day no-buy?
Oh tell me about art school! I graduated 2 years ago and art school left me with 38k in loans. I just repurchased my one pot of gel eyeliner from inglot (5.5g of the most intensely black liner I've ever had, for $12) and doubt I'll run out, considering I had my maybelline one with half that Amount of product for .... A year and a half and had to reconstitute it so often because it dries out yet using up a whole pot takes forever. I think if I run out of anything this year it'll be my setting powder since it's the only one I have. I think that's where I am counting necessities as the only things I can get. But blush or eyeshadow? I'm set for years, so no can do on those type of things! Let's start a hardcore (ahahaha. Or not so hardcore) 365 no-buy! A board wide challenge and then add up how much we actually saved

I am hoping to do a partial no-buy in 2014 (unless I use stuff up).  My no buy is of lotions, body sprays, shampoos, perfumes, conditioners, candles, and bath/shower wash. I can only buy those things if I use up or have to throw out every single such product I own- unlikely, at best, with the possible exception of the shower wash and candles.  It is honestly disturbing how much I've accumulated of all those items. I hope to also be on a nail polish no buy for the first few months of the year, but know myself well enough to know I won't actually do a nail polish no buy for a whole year. Regarding everything else, I am just going to try to be more careful/mindful about how much I already have, whether I already have something identical or very very similar, whether I really need something, just really want something a lot , or only actually kind of want it. I'm also going to try to think over most purchases for at least 8 hours before pulling the trigger.
I have so many freaking lotions. Jumping in on this one with you! I don't have a lot of hair stuff because my hair is curly and picky, so I'm very careful what I put in my hair. But lotions? So so many.

Day 4 of my nail polish no buy!! Woo hoo!! I doubt I could do a year long no buy, but I can certainly try to not purchase things I already have. Maybe closer to the end of the month I can take stock and see what I can add to my no buy list.

Ick, I have to go to the mall downtown tomorrow.  This actually helps me stay on a no-buy:  I hate malls this time of year, and I always want to just get in and get out ASAP if I absolutely *have* to go (I usually find ways to avoid them), so I tend to buy less than whatever I planned.  

(I have to go there because my Macbook is acting weird.  I just bought it a couple of months ago, and the WiFi connection is horrible.  I'm going to the Apple store to see if there's something wrong with it that they can fix. My iPhone doesn't have problems staying connected, but this thing?  Horrific.  It takes *hours* to download an episode of _American Horror Story_/_Sons of Anarchy_/_The Walking Dead_.  It should *not* take that long, especially when it takes about twenty minutes for my phone to download the same thing on the same network.  I can't even download updates because of this.  Hell, when I try to open the app store to see what updates are there, it rarely loads.)

Day 4 I went to sephora and got a gift for my aunt. I had the $20 off $50, so to bring my purchase up to 50 I got a nars lip gloss and a teeny tiny sephora nail polish. I don't really feel bad since they were almost free with the coupon. But no more slip ups!! As long as sephora stops trying to give me coupons hahah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

oh man. day 4 and i've already failed so hard.

What happened?! don't be too hard on yourself. today is a clean slate.

I've been good so far!! I've only spent $$ to mail about my SS gift and like $6 at Sephora cause of gift cards. And after that, I'm done shopping for a looooong time. I'd be up for maybe a 6 month low/no cause I don't think I could commit to a full year! hah! I'm a sucker for those holiday gift sets. But I'm definitely going to try to use up a lot of product this year - hopefully! And not buy anymore. I MIGHT allow myself to get some Lush goodies during their sale so I can stock up on bath bombs and bubble bars but thats it. I have so much stuff to use up!

Since the sephora gift card promo let me get something without a $50 order, I spent like the whole morning yesterday deciding what to get! I did need a new eyeliner BUT I kept adding things to my cart to be able to use a promo code. The worst part is that I had a really hard time deciding on "what else" to add. I knew I didn't need anything else and should've just stopped when I added my eyeliner!! Shooooot.

What happened?! don't be too hard on yourself. today is a clean slate.

Wandered in here because I desperately need to just shop my own stock. I'm hoping to move out of state in a few months and I need to start using up things so I have less to pack and have more money saved.

Four days...no polish buys!! Woo hoo...I'm gonna do a happy dance if I make it a full week!! One of my orders from November is out for delivery today, so that will keep me content for a while.

I'm going to go through my stash tonight and figure out how old everything is. I found this website checkcosmetic.net (not affiliated) that deciphers all those expiration codes. I don't have many old items, but I think I'll make a spreadsheet of things that need to be tossed throughout 2014. I feel like playing around with my stash like this helps me hold off on buying new products!

I went threw my stash and pulled out everything that I could reasonably finish off this month, there are actually a ton of half finished or almost finished products that I'd forgotten about that I think will be gone by the end of this month. Yay for using up my stash

I had a really hard week and I'm super tempted to go buy myself a few things (cotton face pads, luxe hand cream, makeup brushessssss) but I need to tell myself NO.

You know what we should start? A 'tough love' thread where we can go to get someone to shake us into reality. ;) Hahaha, what do you think? Should I start it?

I made it 5 days with no polish purchases!! Yeah!!! I did get both my orders in the mail yesterday, a mystery box and my Julep $1 polish, so that helped. Tonight I think I'm going to focus on my SS and wrap her stuff so I can get it in the mail tomorrow.

Arrrghhhh!!!!

#$&% all these codes and deals and events and sales and the N3 palette! Stop tempting me!!!

Ok, so does buying cookies in the place of makeup count? Because if so, I'm off the wagon. I just bought 4 boxes of these milk chocolate digestive biscuits- so good!

Edited to add: FAIL! FAIL FAIL FAIL! I just completely failed the December no-buy. And it doesn't have anything to do with cookies.

Arrrghhhh!!!! #$&% all these codes and deals and events and sales and the N3 palette! Stop tempting me!!! Ok, so does buying cookies in the place of makeup count? Because if so, I'm off the wagon. I just bought 4 boxes of these milk chocolate digestive biscuits- so good! Edited to add: FAIL! FAIL FAIL FAIL! I just completely failed the December no-buy. And it doesn't have anything to do with cookies.
Lol yes the holidays probably are the toughest time for a no buy. For me its not cookies but parts for a computer I'm building. So my no-buy isn't really saving me $, just moving that money to other things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastofthesun View Post

Arrrghhhh!!!!

#$&% all these codes and deals and events and sales and the N3 palette! Stop tempting me!!!

Ok, so does buying cookies in the place of makeup count? Because if so, I'm off the wagon. I just bought 4 boxes of these milk chocolate digestive biscuits- so good!

Edited to add: FAIL! FAIL FAIL FAIL! I just completely failed the December no-buy. And it doesn't have anything to do with cookies.

I have held strong so far but I completely feel you. :( holidays are tough!!! I've been tempted so many times, especially because I am LEMMING some illamasqua items so hard... but not allowed.

What did you get, anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylilee View Post

I have held strong so far but I completely feel you. :( holidays are tough!!! I've been tempted so many times, especially because I am LEMMING some illamasqua items so hard... but not allowed.

What did you get, anyway?

Keep strong, please! I have to know some people can actually do it. :D

In all honesty, I could have waited until January when I was allowed to spend again. I wanted to wait for the UD Naked 3 palette until January for my birthday, but I had that stinking $15 off $50 sephora code that I just couldn't pass up. So I guess in a way, even though I'm buying in December (supposed to be on a no-buy) I guess I at least saved $15 on what I was going to spend in a month later anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen283 View Post

Lol yes the holidays probably are the toughest time for a no buy.

For me its not cookies but parts for a computer I'm building. So my no-buy isn't really saving me $, just moving that money to other things!

Yeah, I find that I do that sometimes. I'll say I can't buy X and then I'll just end up spending money on something else. I need to whip myself into shape!