December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm with you on the BB point front. I'll have over 600 points once December boxes come it. I was sitting on my 25% code for 2 weeks and realized everything in the shop is kinda meh or what I actually want isn't offered through BB anyway! I think that's a good step for me though - not having that OMG NEED IT ALL NOW feeling. I do need a new backpack but the Baggu one doesn't look like it'll hold up. Why can't BB points translate into real money? Why can't my ability to save BB points translate into an ability to save real money??

Oh, one of my conditions for doing a low buy was that I wouldn't go on serious shopping until I got an official job offer from the place I was interning at this summer. I got a call this week and was told that they will be hiring me on as a remote-part time associate while I'm still in school. I wasn't really expecting that! I just thought they'd give me a job once I was out of school and able to relocate! I haven't told many people because I haven't gotten the formal offer just yet and you never know what can happen between now and then (what if a higher-up changes his/her mind and this remote work doesn't happen??). Once everything is all good and official, I might celebrate when I get my first real pay check. I'm also planning to continue my low buy since I'll need to save to pay off school stuff and save to have money for relocation at the end of the summer!

Early congratulations~!!! I am sure if they are offering to hire you on even while you're in school, they really, really want you to work for them. So that's always amazing. Not to mention a fantastic point on a resume.

I'm with you on the BB point front. I'll have over 600 points once December boxes come it. I was sitting on my 25% code for 2 weeks and realized everything in the shop is kinda meh or what I actually want isn't offered through BB anyway! I think that's a good step for me though - not having that OMG NEED IT ALL NOW feeling. I do need a new backpack but the Baggu one doesn't look like it'll hold up. Why can't BB points translate into real money? Why can't my ability to save BB points translate into an ability to save real money??

Oh, one of my conditions for doing a low buy was that I wouldn't go on serious shopping until I got an official job offer from the place I was interning at this summer. I got a call this week and was told that they will be hiring me on as a remote-part time associate while I'm still in school. I wasn't really expecting that! I just thought they'd give me a job once I was out of school and able to relocate! I haven't told many people because I haven't gotten the formal offer just yet and you never know what can happen between now and then (what if a higher-up changes his/her mind and this remote work doesn't happen??). Once everything is all good and official, I might celebrate when I get my first real pay check. I'm also planning to continue my low buy since I'll need to save to pay off school stuff and save to have money for relocation at the end of the summer! Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bleh, I think I have Birchbox points I have to use this month.  I'm making a Birchbox rule:  It can only be household/kitchen/food items, hand cream, or order-filler items to bring the total to an even $10 increment.  I won't be spending any cash, so that would qualify for the no-buy thing, but I'm putting makeup on the no-acquire list.  I'm not even going to get those Geek Chic Cosmetics samples I wanted for Night Vale Live next month.  If GCC is still open in January (I get the feeling they might be closed for orders after this weekend until at least after Christmas to catch up on order fulfillment and for post-holiday recovery), I can get those samples since they will be the same price.  If they're not open in time, well, the universe doesn't want me to have those samples.  

But back to Birchbox points:  I actually don't really see anything in the makeup sections I want anyway except for a few things that are out of stock anyway, so at least I won't feel like I'm deprived due to not ordering something I want.  Deprived because I don't see anything I want, sure, but that's a different kind of deprivation that just makes me annoyed at the companies offering items for sale instead of sad at my financial situation.  This might change once the new stuff is released, but this is a cycle I go through every month:  Anxiously await the new items, see the new items, decide to hold off on ordering until after the boxes come out, then decide I'm not really that interested in those things after all once boxes are out and I have a bit more time to think things over.  Repeat until points start expiring.  
frown.gif

Congrats on your (unofficial!) job offer!  That's wonderful that they valued you so highly from your internship that they want to put you to work right away!

I'm kind of with you guys on the Birchbox points, except I'm saving mine up for a Clarisonic Mia.  I'll have over 600 points in January, and that's when I'm supposed to get my 25% 13 month code.

Sooo.... $125 for the Mia, minus $31.25 (the 25%), minus $60 in points equals.... $33.75.  Of course, I'll add a Pick Two, and I'm hoping they'll have a nice GWP in the shop to tempt people into making post-holiday purchases.  

However, that will be in January!  For now, no buying stuff for me!  

@jaylilee @magicalmom 
beer.gif
 thanks ladies! i'm not gonna let myself celebrate too hard and/or put it all over facebook until i sign the papers and make it official, official! i hope i didn't jinx myself here! i sound crazy haha.

Over the summer when I had pretty much zero expenses and this internship $$$, my spending was out. of. control. I saved a good amount from the summer but I also realized I spent A LOT too. On what? I couldn't tell you. I got a laptop and a ton of make up and had lots-o-nights on the town. I really think that that is where my make up habit got kinda out of control. The Sephora in Nashville was HUGE and the Nordstrom sales people were way too nice and the food was too, too good. With that in mind, I think I will do much better this next time around!

@jaylilee @magicalmom 
beer.gif
 thanks ladies! i'm not gonna let myself celebrate too hard and/or put it all over facebook until i sign the papers and make it official, official! i hope i didn't jinx myself here! i sound crazy haha.

Over the summer when I had pretty much zero expenses and this internship $$$, my spending was out. of. control. I saved a good amount from the summer but I also realized I spent A LOT too. On what? I couldn't tell you. I got a laptop and a ton of make up and had lots-o-nights on the town. I really think that that is where my make up habit got kinda out of control. The Sephora in Nashville was HUGE and the Nordstrom sales people were way too nice and the food was too, too good. With that in mind, I think I will do much better this next time around!
Add my congrats to the list! I'm job hunting now, and it's a pain in the rear!

But seriously, it's hard to rein in a paycheck when you're so used to not having actual income! I hear very good things about cordoning off money immediately (as in, program your bank to do it for you) for savings, expenses, and specific purchasing purposes each month and just working from there. Yeah, it's going to require you to not pull from the other portions for your spending, but at least it's not willpower-based every single time you want to go out and buy something. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

We're saving for a wedding, too. I understand the struggle haha!
I am also getting married, my parents stepped in and are paying for most of it, thankfully. I never expected them to, and certainly didn't ask. But we are still paying for the DJ, and our honeymoon is going to be in Fiji & Australia, which will cost almost as much as the wedding. We are, of course, paying for the honeymoon. So I really need to stop!! Day one, no polishes bought, only 30 more days to go!! (And I even went to Walgreens today and didn't even LOOK at polishes!!)

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 Day one, no polishes bought, only 30 more days to go!! (And I even went to Walgreens today and didn't even LOOK at polishes!!)
iagree.gif
 Yes, that! And I figure god willing that Christmas and  Christmas eve will be easy 'no buying nailpolish' days, so really, I only need to hang in there for 28 more days total 
icon_cheers.gif

In all seriousness, I do have a polish problem.  What started as a fun and contained hobby has become an obsession.  I probably have more polishes I've not tried than ones I have 
icon_eek.gif

In all seriousness, I do have a polish problem.  What started as a fun and contained hobby has become an obsession.  I probably have more polishes I've not tried than ones I have :icon_eek:
I also have more untried than tried, and I honestly felt guilty this weekend when my fiancée was home and yet another polish order came in the mail. I felt so bad I didn't really even look at what came, I just kind of put them away. He never says anything beyond joking about it, but we are trying to organize 2 houses into one, and it's not working very well, and I just felt like I was bringing yet more stuff into the house that we really don't have space for at the moment. On the flip side, he is a DJ, so his "toys" cost much more than a few bottles of polish. But all things considered, I do need to be more conscious of my polish spending. And I'm hoping this no buy will let me explore some of the polishes I have and get excited about them.

I am also getting married, my parents stepped in and are paying for most of it, thankfully. I never expected them to, and certainly didn't ask. But we are still paying for the DJ, and our honeymoon is going to be in Fiji & Australia, which will cost almost as much as the wedding. We are, of course, paying for the honeymoon. So I really need to stop!! Day one, no polishes bought, only 30 more days to go!! (And I even went to Walgreens today and didn't even LOOK at polishes!!)
Same! My folks are paying for it. I wanted to go to the beach or, hell, the courthouse, but I'm an only child and my mom said she would be heartbroken if I didn't have a wedding. They're paying for it, but we are paying for the honeymoon and the photographer at my insistence. That's gonna be hard enough as it is... Much less if I keep up this insane spending. Ugh. Dear lord, help me.

oh goodness...someone help. do I need book of shadows iv? I don't. I know I don't. but I *do* need a new 24/7 liquid liner...

oh goodness...someone help. do I need book of shadows iv? I don't. I know I don't. but I *do* need a new 24/7 liquid liner...
Don't do it! 6 of the shades in it are in naked 1. Not sure about other repeats. Plus, it's so bulky!

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't do it! 6 of the shades in it are in naked 1. Not sure about other repeats. Plus, it's so bulky!
just saw the shipping cost! not worth it!

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow - thats going to be an amazing honeymoon!

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same! My folks are paying for it. I wanted to go to the beach or, hell, the courthouse, but I'm an only child and my mom said she would be heartbroken if I didn't have a wedding. They're paying for it, but we are paying for the honeymoon and the photographer at my insistence. That's gonna be hard enough as it is... Much less if I keep up this insane spending. Ugh. Dear lord, help me.
That's awesome both of you ladies' parents are paying for the wedding. We aren't sure what our families are going to be able to do and they haven't really mentioned it. They just seem to shoot down all of my venue ideas. I know if it is just up to us - if we are the only ones paying for our wedding, its either never going to happen or we will just go to the courthouse. Weddings are just way too expensive.

Stay strong girl! Everyone else too - we can do it!! Seriously all it takes me to feel bad and retract the credit card is 1. looking at my bank account and 2. looking at my stash.

For December, I am on a full no-buy. I have things coming in the mail and waiting to be opened on Christmas that will help me fight the urge. However, I may run out of face wash and liquid eye liner which I will allow myself to repurchase. For the facewash I think I will switch to clinique from bareminerals to save a couple bucks. If you all have any other recs for a mild facial cleanser suitable for dry skin let me know. But my stila liquid e/l is my baby and can never be replaced <3 I have started a tumblr to keep track of my low-buy and to track when I slip up! The month of November was a complete fail so I've got to get it together!

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For December, I am on a full no-buy. I have things coming in the mail and waiting to be opened on Christmas that will help me fight the urge. However, I may run out of face wash and liquid eye liner which I will allow myself to repurchase. For the facewash I think I will switch to clinique from bareminerals to save a couple bucks. If you all have any other recs for a mild facial cleanser suitable for dry skin let me know. But my stila liquid e/l is my baby and can never be replaced <3

I have started a tumblr to keep track of my low-buy and to track when I slip up! The month of November was a complete fail so I've got to get it together!
Hold on strong!

In a way I feel like starting my nobuy at the end of october was the best idea because of black friday and holidays, but also the worst idea because that's when there seems to be so much more temptation. ugh!

I stocked up on face wash and makeup remover so hopefully I'll be on a full no-buy, too. 

@Pollysmom & @tnorth1852 best of luck! My husband and I paid for our weddings after saving up for what felt like ages and I feel for you guys on saving up for such a big event (or, rather, the honeymoon!). It takes some serious work and can be so darn stressful. Hubby and I have yet to take our honeymoon a year after.... oops. so we're thinking of jamaica or hawaii the year after... but we'll see.... that'll be a big incentive for my no-buy. 

also, Pollysmom, I feel for you! I'm such a nail polish junkie...ugh. 

I feel like I need someone to hold my hand through cyber Monday.  Did NOT expect to be this tempted, I figured almost all the 'best' sales would go don on Black Friday.

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I feel like I need someone to hold my hand through cyber Monday.  Did NOT expect to be this tempted, I figured almost all the 'best' sales would go don on Black Friday.
*holds* just don't think about it. close out of all tempting websites and go do something else for the day that does not involve internet browsing..... 

I love reading everyone's plans for the month! It's seriously not only interesting but inspiring! It makes it so much easier doing this when you feel you're in a little 'club' or you know, doing it together. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Cheers everyone! We CAN and WILL do it!

Alrighty, for my (East of the Sun's) December No-buy:

1. Do not purchase anything for myself the rest of this year.

Pretty basic, right? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Exceptions:

1. If I run out of my skincare essentials (but no new items, just tried-and-true).

2. If I get off the IPSY waitlist, I can get an IPSY bag (fat chance before the new year!)

A few notes:

I've noticed that skipping looking at beauty retail websites or stores help. Basically, the saying, "ignorance is bliss" applies here.

But also, I've noticed that 'ghost shopping' (when you actually go shopping, and physically load up your cart (either online or in real life) with what you want, then putting it all back and walking out without buying anything) helps, but only if you have really strong will power. Or if you still want to try this, just go shopping without your wallet. Then you literally can't buy anything! But don't forget to bring your driver's license!

Just adding items to my online 'favorites' really helps me feel like I'm keeping track of what I want, but that I don't have to get it RIGHT NOW. Then sometimes when I go back and look at it, I'm like, "Wait, I don't want that at all" because either it was just a fleeting want or I find something else that would be better.

It also helps that I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, as in I can eventually buy something nice for myself again. But I have to be careful about this, because sometimes buying again can feel like getting back on the wagon!

For me, I have a plan for January- I will let myself buy the Naked 3 palette on Sephora.com, and because of that purchase, I'll also get: 1. my Sephora birthday gift, 2. 3 free samples, and 3. my 100-point perk! Pretty nice after a no-buy, right? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And finally, how to get through the holiday season:

1. Consider making your own gifts. I'm doing these really awesome etched glass pyrex sets: http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2010/06/glass-etching.html Cheap and chic!

2. If you're going to buy, try buying a gift set and then breaking it up into gifts for multiple people. I did this with a pack of Clinique perfumes and Tarte lip glosses.

3. Along the same line, consider gifting one gift per couple/family, rather than a gift for your friend and a separate one for her husband and kids.

4. Have a plan before you buy... returns this time of year are HECTIC! Plus, driving around in one go to all the different shops you need to visit will really save you some time and headache.

5. Reconsider wrapping- try the comics/funnies page of a newspaper, plain brown paper with string (classy), and reuse boxes.

Good luck, everyone! We WILL DO THIS!

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For the facewash I think I will switch to clinique from bareminerals to save a couple bucks. If you all have any other recs for a mild facial cleanser suitable for dry skin let me know.
Hey there! I'm on a no-buy too! Good luck.

Just wanted to give you a facewash tip. Ok, I use Clinique Acne Solutions, but I'm actually thinking about just purchasing the toner and moisturizer, and skipping the cleanser. Why? Because I've read so many times that you shouldn't invest in a cleanser as it just removes what's on your face and doesn't actually stay on your skin long enough to absorb. What you should invest in are the serums and creams you use, that actually stay on your face for more than 3 minutes.

So, in that vein, I'd suggest the following cleanser:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  *holds* just don't think about it. close out of all tempting websites and go do something else for the day that does not involve internet browsing.....
Yes! You can be strong. Seriously, close those websites. Do not even look.

Remember that it doesn't matter that it's a good deal, because if you don't *need* it, then it's not a deal at all.

Also, try this: Take a look at some of the 'super major OMG' purchases you've made. Realized that although you probably really like them, they didn't really change your life. It's just a thing.

In times of utter distress, try this: http://www.calcxml.com/calculators/retirement-calculator It will whip your booty into shape FAST! But don't let it get you down, just remember any amount you save is awesome.

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Also, try this: Take a look at some of the 'super major OMG' purchases you've made. Realized that although you probably really like them, they didn't really change your life. It's just a thing.

That is very good advice! Looking at some of the 'OMG MY NEW HOLY GRAIL" purchases I've made, some of them were good and worth the money. But most of them weren't that good a deal: a 30 dollar palette that I used maybe 3 times? That is 10 dollar a use, so I'd have to use it at least 30+ times to make every use less than a dollar in worth, that is a full month of everyday use.

And indeed, if you don't need it, it's not a good deal.

I have been on a low-buy lately, because I've put way to much money in make-up. But the past few weeks have been good! The only things I bought are: an eyelash curler and two bb creams. I needed a new eyelash curler and the bb creams were on sale, I use the same ones all the time anyway, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad to get some backup. A low buy works better for me than a no-buy, because I would feel restricted. I see it like a good weightloss-diet. Instead of crash no-buying, I try to find a more permanent low-buying, something I can keep up for the rest of my life (like a good weightloss diet)

To everyone who is struggling with a no-buy or low-buy; remember that you don't need to experiment.

You don't need to own every color and product in the book. For example, I tried to love bright pink lipstick, but the color didn't look good on me, and I just hate the feeling of lipstick. But that didn't stop me from trying three more lipsticks.

Also, if you love it, stick with it.

I had a mascara I really loved but I still felt the need to try out other mascara's because they might be better. Why didn't I just stick with the mascara that I loved? it would have saved me a ton of money.

I'm down to only buying necessities because I have some of everything, much of it unopened, so they need to get used up before they turn. It's okay if I don't end up with a brand new color or something considering how much I already have. On BF I stocked up on essentials like cleanser, conditioner, and makeup remover and it was all over 50% off. At Target I restocked cuticle remover and topcoat. I still need to get a basecoat and will allow myself a specific eyeliner if I can find it for 50% like I did with its sister. In January I will allow myself concealer, night cream and eye cream, toner, a wide-toothed comb, shave gel, and an eyelash curler. Those are all things I'm low on or don't have and need. Then I'm set for a few months until I will need body lotion, a body scrub, and deep conditioner. Fortunately, everything I just listed is drugstore, so it won't be a huge dent. Instead, in 2014 I would like to build up my brush and perfume collection.

Back