December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 4 I went to sephora and got a gift for my aunt. I had the $20 off $50, so to bring my purchase up to 50 I got a nars lip gloss and a teeny tiny sephora nail polish. I don't really feel bad since they were almost free with the coupon. But no more slip ups!! As long as sephora stops trying to give me coupons hahah.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  oh man. day 4 and i've already failed so hard.
What happened?! don't be too hard on yourself. today is a clean slate.

I've been good so far!! I've only spent $$ to mail about my SS gift and like $6 at Sephora cause of gift cards. And after that, I'm done shopping for a looooong time. I'd be up for maybe a 6 month low/no cause I don't think I could commit to a full year! hah! I'm a sucker for those holiday gift sets. But I'm definitely going to try to use up a lot of product this year - hopefully! And not buy anymore. I MIGHT allow myself to get some Lush goodies during their sale so I can stock up on bath bombs and bubble bars but thats it. I have so much stuff to use up!

Since the sephora gift card promo let me get something without a $50 order, I spent like the whole morning yesterday deciding what to get! I did need a new eyeliner BUT I kept adding things to my cart to be able to use a promo code. The worst part is that I had a really hard time deciding on "what else" to add. I knew I didn't need anything else and should've just stopped when I added my eyeliner!! Shooooot.

What happened?! don't be too hard on yourself. today is a clean slate.

Wandered in here because I desperately need to just shop my own stock. I'm hoping to move out of state in a few months and I need to start using up things so I have less to pack and have more money saved.

Four days...no polish buys!! Woo hoo...I'm gonna do a happy dance if I make it a full week!! One of my orders from November is out for delivery today, so that will keep me content for a while.

I'm going to go through my stash tonight and figure out how old everything is. I found this website checkcosmetic.net (not affiliated) that deciphers all those expiration codes. I don't have many old items, but I think I'll make a spreadsheet of things that need to be tossed throughout 2014. I feel like playing around with my stash like this helps me hold off on buying new products!

I went threw my stash and pulled out everything that I could reasonably finish off this month, there are actually a ton of half finished or almost finished products that I'd forgotten about that I think will be gone by the end of this month. Yay for using up my stash

I had a really hard week and I'm super tempted to go buy myself a few things (cotton face pads, luxe hand cream, makeup brushessssss) but I need to tell myself NO.

You know what we should start? A 'tough love' thread where we can go to get someone to shake us into reality. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hahaha, what do you think? Should I start it?

I made it 5 days with no polish purchases!! Yeah!!! I did get both my orders in the mail yesterday, a mystery box and my Julep $1 polish, so that helped. Tonight I think I'm going to focus on my SS and wrap her stuff so I can get it in the mail tomorrow.

Arrrghhhh!!!!

#$&% all these codes and deals and events and sales and the N3 palette! Stop tempting me!!!

Ok, so does buying cookies in the place of makeup count? Because if so, I'm off the wagon. I just bought 4 boxes of these milk chocolate digestive biscuits- so good!

Edited to add: FAIL! FAIL FAIL FAIL! I just completely failed the December no-buy. And it doesn't have anything to do with cookies.

Arrrghhhh!!!! #$&% all these codes and deals and events and sales and the N3 palette! Stop tempting me!!! Ok, so does buying cookies in the place of makeup count? Because if so, I'm off the wagon. I just bought 4 boxes of these milk chocolate digestive biscuits- so good! Edited to add: FAIL! FAIL FAIL FAIL! I just completely failed the December no-buy. And it doesn't have anything to do with cookies.
Lol yes the holidays probably are the toughest time for a no buy. For me its not cookies but parts for a computer I'm building. So my no-buy isn't really saving me $, just moving that money to other things!

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Arrrghhhh!!!!

#$&% all these codes and deals and events and sales and the N3 palette! Stop tempting me!!!

Ok, so does buying cookies in the place of makeup count? Because if so, I'm off the wagon. I just bought 4 boxes of these milk chocolate digestive biscuits- so good!

Edited to add: FAIL! FAIL FAIL FAIL! I just completely failed the December no-buy. And it doesn't have anything to do with cookies.
I have held strong so far but I completely feel you. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> holidays are tough!!! I've been tempted so many times, especially because I am LEMMING some illamasqua items so hard... but not allowed.

What did you get, anyway?

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have held strong so far but I completely feel you. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> holidays are tough!!! I've been tempted so many times, especially because I am LEMMING some illamasqua items so hard... but not allowed.

What did you get, anyway?

Keep strong, please! I have to know some people can actually do it. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

In all honesty, I could have waited until January when I was allowed to spend again. I wanted to wait for the UD Naked 3 palette until January for my birthday, but I had that stinking $15 off $50 sephora code that I just couldn't pass up. So I guess in a way, even though I'm buying in December (supposed to be on a no-buy) I guess I at least saved $15 on what I was going to spend in a month later anyway.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol yes the holidays probably are the toughest time for a no buy.

For me its not cookies but parts for a computer I'm building. So my no-buy isn't really saving me $, just moving that money to other things!

Yeah, I find that I do that sometimes. I'll say I can't buy X and then I'll just end up spending money on something else. I need to whip myself into shape!

Okay, I'm definitely joining this low buy.  I did a lot of shopping on Black Friday / Cyber Monday and basically used up my beauty budget for the next 3-4 months.  Not a huge deal because I had anticipated larger purchases around this time of year, but now it's time to enjoy the fruits of my purchases instead of searching for more things to buy.

So here is my official declaration:  I am on a Low Buy until my bday month, APRIL! I think I can do it guise. 

The rules of my low buy are simple:  Only buy things that I *reallyreally* want and have wanted for awhile (not: oh i've never seen that polish before.. I *reallyreally* want it), and only if they are at a good discount or GWP.  No paying retail for anything, I can wait until chic week at Sephora. Wish me luck!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Keep strong, please! I have to know some people can actually do it. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

In all honesty, I could have waited until January when I was allowed to spend again. I wanted to wait for the UD Naked 3 palette until January for my birthday, but I had that stinking $15 off $50 sephora code that I just couldn't pass up. So I guess in a way, even though I'm buying in December (supposed to be on a no-buy) I guess I at least saved $15 on what I was going to spend in a month later anyway.
I will! ... or try anyway. Ugh. Illamasqua's pretty new eyeshadow quads. I've been quelching my need by assembling "similar" looking palettes with my giant collection of inglot eyeshadows. That way I feel like I have something similar. It works for a few days then I get the need again so I rearrange quads lol. 

.... so sad but actually helps me give those e/s some use. No blushes to dupe, but I already have so many blushes, I don't lemm those as bad. 

We can do this! I can understand the purchase, though. those N3 palettes have been hyped up so much already and they're just coming out.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeaniney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Okay, I'm definitely joining this low buy.  I did a lot of shopping on Black Friday / Cyber Monday and basically used up my beauty budget for the next 3-4 months.  Not a huge deal because I had anticipated larger purchases around this time of year, but now it's time to enjoy the fruits of my purchases instead of searching for more things to buy.

So here is my official declaration:  I am on a Low Buy until my bday month, APRIL! I think I can do it guise. 

The rules of my low buy are simple:  Only buy things that I *reallyreally* want and have wanted for awhile (not: oh i've never seen that polish before.. I *reallyreally* want it), and only if they are at a good discount or GWP.  No paying retail for anything, I can wait until chic week at Sephora. Wish me luck!!!
STAY STRONG!!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I will! ... or try anyway. Ugh. Illamasqua's pretty new eyeshadow quads. I've been quelching my need by assembling "similar" looking palettes with my giant collection of inglot eyeshadows. That way I feel like I have something similar. It works for a few days then I get the need again so I rearrange quads lol. 

.... so sad but actually helps me give those e/s some use. No blushes to dupe, but I already have so many blushes, I don't lemm those as bad. 

We can do this! I can understand the purchase, though. those N3 palettes have been hyped up so much already and they're just coming out.
omg i did not say quelch..what. i meant quench. QUENCH.

Ok i'm done hogging the board after this one but ... my husband just asked that we spend $50/ea on presents so we can wrap them and put them under our tree (so that it's not so empty), which now has me wondering ...what can one get for $50? I want to make sure that it's not makeup or body lotions (good lord, the body shop is so tempting), but i can't think of anything... i thought of Lush as an option... I've never had a bath bomb (yeah i know..) so I would like to try one, but I don't want to spend all $50 there! 

Back