December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ok i'm done hogging the board after this one but ... my husband just asked that we spend $50/ea on presents so we can wrap them and put them under our tree (so that it's not so empty), which now has me wondering ...what can one get for $50? I want to make sure that it's not makeup or body lotions (good lord, the body shop is so tempting), but i can't think of anything... i thought of Lush as an option... I've never had a bath bomb (yeah i know..) so I would like to try one, but I don't want to spend all $50 there! 
I guess I am confused.  Do you mean suggestions for what he can buy for you? As the first part of your post reads, I assumed he meant you'd spend $50 on him and he'd spend $50 on you, not that you'd spend it on yourselves...

Another thing I've been doing is documenting my wishlist on my phone. I've found that after a certain amount of time, I don't even want those products anymore and off the list they go! I think what I will do starting Jan or Feb, is each month I will allow myself to buy the top item, since it has been there the longest. This way I will only buy items that I really want and have a specific/unique place in my stash, and only buying one new item per month will keep my stash at a managable size. I may extend this to more than one item if they aren't too expensive (like 2 or 3 mac e/s refills instead of 1). This will not include repurchase of essential/everyday items. But UNTIL THEN I am on a no buy. That will give time for the list to marinate, and build up actual hype instead of fleeting wants.

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I guess I am confused.  Do you mean suggestions for what he can buy for you? As the first part of your post reads, I assumed he meant you'd spend $50 on him and he'd spend $50 on you, not that you'd spend it on yourselves...
Well, that's usually how it would go, but this time we're just walking through and purchasing things together (he always says he doesn't know what to buy for girls, so it's more of ..we walk around and sniff things and if we both like it, we get it lol). 

*cough* I just counted how many packages I have coming in this month so far (I still haven't ordered my nephews' Christmas presents!). Eighteen! Half of those are subs! And this isn't particularly unusual for me!

Went into target today to get contact lens solution and didn't buy any makeup! woot wooooot!

Went into target today to get contact lens solution and didn't buy any makeup! woot wooooot!
Wish me luck, we are going to Target this weekend to register for the wedding. I should be Ok though, because how do you go down the cosmetics aisle when you're registering for pots & blenders? LOL....

I went to Target yesterday and walked into the beauty section because I needed makeup remover wipes. I didn't buy anything else! Woohoo!

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I went to Target yesterday and walked into the beauty section because I needed makeup remover wipes. I didn't buy anything else! Woohoo!
WOOP WOOP!!

On one hand, I bought yet more eyeliner pencils today.  On the other hand, it was a set that I specifically had on my exceptions list when it was $35, but I took it off because I didn't feel like throwing down $35 for it.  Then I discovered that Ulta had it for $15 today (this weekend?  This week?), so I drove out to see if it was that price in-store so I didn't have to pay for shipping or add a few items to get free shipping.  It was in fact $15 in-store, so I went for it and picked up two $1 packs of mini nail files (these will go in my car.  Nail files are second only to lip balm in the need-close-at-hand-at-all-times category, although I don't have anywhere near as many nail files as lip balm).  

Before today, I made two loose pigment orders last weekend (Black Friday from Geek Chic Cosmetics and Cyber Monday from Glamour Doll Eyes), but I paid for those with money in my PayPal account from a perfume oil sale, so at least I didn't drain my bank account with those orders, and I had promised myself a little Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping spree, *plus* I had a $70 Sephora BF budget and only spent $40 (I've already got the Sephora BF change jar going.  I might be a little more aggressive about it to have even more to spend and just have it include *all* BF/CM makeup stuff.  I'm actually contemplating going no-buy-except-for-essentials-and-subs next year until Black Friday, and then concentrate on the indies), so I didn't really overspend there. 

But! No more eyeshadow or eyeliner for the rest of the month! Really and truly!  I might even end up not using my VIBR discount.  I actually walked away from the Pacifica palettes (nine bucks each!  The Solar palettes were $20 each!) at their warehouse sale today.  I have those two pigment orders (and the December GDE OTM) on the way, plus my Secret Santa sent me a BH Cosmetics Galaxy Chic palette (SO GORGEOUS!), *plus* I have a couple palettes I picked up during shopping for my own Secret Santa (Fred Meyer had buy-one-get-one-50%-off, *and* there were $1 off coupons, and how I can I pass up Wet'n'Wild palettes for one or two bucks a pop?  And then there's the part where I packed up all of my Santee's stuff and had *just* enough room for a card, and then I came home after sending it off to discover that one of the palettes didn't make it into the box. I would kick myself for leaving it out if it wasn't for the fact that there was just no more room left!).  I'm really tempted to get the Cynthia Rowley palette from Birchbox with points, but thanks to forumites, I know the pigmentation is not good, so I am able to refuse that temptation.  I'm going to need to order something from Birchbox pretty soon solely so I don't lose points.  I'm thinking about tweezers.  Or maybe that Tweezerman 15x lighted mirror since I do have mini slanted tip Tweezerman tweezers.

(I *did* buy two packs of Pacifica lotion wipes -- I could justify three bucks a pack right now to try them out -- and eight reed diffusers at the warehouse sale.  *All* of the holiday reed diffusers were two for a buck.  Eight of them for four bucks!  The cats are banned from the bedroom until further notice, and my B&BW Wallflower has died, so these are a good alternative, especially given the price.  I had actually been planning on buying a new Wallflower today, and the diffusers are much, *much* cheaper than a Wallflower, so this was probably actually a good move.)

I so need to join this thread. I just used my sephora gc for the occ lip tar mini set of 12. Not like I needed it but I've been wanting it since I first saw it. But even with the gift card I still felt slightly sick with how much I paid for them considering I don't need any more makeup. I just went through all my makeup and don't need any makeup especially lip stuff (or eyeshadow). I am pretty proud of myself for resisting the naked3. My plan is no cosmetics are allowed for the month of December and only necessary beauty products like toothpaste/deodorant. Because I'm pretty darn well stocked up on everything else for a looooooong time.

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I made it SEVEN whole days and did not purchase any polish!! Happy dance for me!!![
Go go go! Keep it up! 

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I made it SEVEN whole days and did not purchase any polish!! Happy dance for me!!![
11.gif
YAY!

Well, I fell off the proverbial wagon a bit. I am still within the $ amount I set aside for Nov/Dec but I bought an eyeliner set that I truly did not need (I have more than 20 eyeliners!). They are travel size but still . . . I think I will put on the brakes right now and no buy for the rest of the year. After all, I'm not in danger of running out of anything, lol.

Looking ahead to 2014: Low buying has been successful for me so I plan to continue. 

I did, too. The whole thing about my husband and I buying presents for each other...turns out he had been listening to me talk about the things I wanted, and so he remembered a while ago I mentioned The Body Shop body butters. So he chose to get me some. But - here's the catcher, he didn't know what scent I'd like, so he asked me to choose.

I feel like by association, due to having to be the one to choose, it reflects on my no-buy, so I will count that as a small falling off the bandwagon, and get right back on. 

Hubby suggested a low buy instead, so I will consider it, but at this point I just feel like I'd be wasteful if I bought anything else, considering the massive amounts of stuff I have.

Well my extreme low buy is still going well.  Like Pollysmom, I have avoided my true weakness, nail polish, so go me.  I have not purchased anything makeup-related.  I feel strong!

Gah, I had to place a sephora order :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I wasn't going to buy anything, but I got my VIB coupon and the December discount is the MAIN perk behind qualifying. But I didn't spend that much--I tried to pick items to match 50 exactly from my list in a category of item that I needed! I actually think I'm doing better than expected. Yay!

So I've made so many makeup/clothing purchases that I need to go on a no-buy until ...maybe April of next year.  I still plan on buying staples/necessary items of things I've finished but I will not be buying things I want and not need.  I've made a list of things to finish so I can rid myself of clutter by April.

So far, I've made a list of 10 items to use up by the end of this year or by April.  Every time I finish something, I'll delete it off of my list and add something that I'm almost done with or neglected onto my list.  This has worked for me in the past as I was able to finish 52 things in 6 months!!!!! And I didn't buy a single thing (other than necessary items I managed to finish but those didn't count for me on my list). 

Back