December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I randomly decided to franken lippy 2 of my lipsticks that I hate (weird nude colors that look terrible on me, but for some reason I thought they were flattering a few years ago?) and added a bit of a red that I like but don't wear much... and got a shade that I absolutely love! I think this def helps in terms of doing a low-buy this month!

Quote: Originally Posted by roskandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I randomly decided to franken lippy 2 of my lipsticks that I hate (weird nude colors that look terrible on me, but for some reason I thought they were flattering a few years ago?) and added a bit of a red that I like but don't wear much... and got a shade that I absolutely love! I think this def helps in terms of doing a low-buy this month!
 Great idea! Thanks for sharing

Frankenlippy....  THE BEAUTIFUL MONSTER LIIIIIIIIIVES!!!

That sounds awesome!  Go you!

Love this idea - can you provide some basic instructions :)

I did this recently with a Laura Mercier Lippie I bought because it was on sale (bad!) and the color hardly showed up on me so I frankenlippied it with some occ lip tar! It's an awesome color!

Ive done really good over the last 3 months. I did break down and buy some perfume it was like 12 bucks. I maybe shouldn't have bought it. I liked the smell but  my family didn't, it even made my  1 month old grandbaby cry when I held her.. I was trying to hurry up and finish in the store and I thought I have to buy some perfume. Ive worked overtime for two months I got nothing for me(fun). I grabbed Juicy Couture. Anyways I kind of feel bad I resubbed to Ipsy,I should be getting that anyday  now,nothing in this bag thrills me.

I'm going to take a major hit today. I'm giving my daughter 150 bucks to buy my son in law a new grill for Christmas  I was  going to buy me some clothes, I look like a bum now days. He deserves it he works hard and plus he has to put up with my moody daughter lol .

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Love this idea - can you provide some basic instructions :)

Yeah! It's super simple!

You need:

• A microwave safe container (I used a glass one--make sure it's one you don't super love or be prepared to spend a lot of time cleaning it out)
  • 1+ lipsticks that you don't like/are broken/too nubby to use; apparently you can also break down old lipliners and mix them in! 
  • A knife (I used a plastic one that will only be used for cutting up lipsticks
  • A mixing utensil--small metal spatula, a toothpick, a small spoon, etc
  • A clean container to put your new lipstick/balm (either an empty chapstick type container or a small jar with a lid. There's also videos online for how to make your own molds)
  • (optional) Flavoring - I used mint essential oils b/c I like minty lipsticks

Other optional ingredients: (if you have these, you can change the consistency of the lipstick or turn it into a balm. You don't need any of these ingredients, though. I made my lipsticks a little sheerer and gave them a little more grip by adding a small amount of a 2:1 ratio of oil to wax. If you add more oil, and make it a bigger % of the total amount, you can end up with a tinted balm if that's what you want. Alternatively, if you want to make your lipstick more balmy, you can cut up some old chapstick/balm and add it to the mix)

• Beeswax
  • Coconut oil/almond oil/etc

Steps:

1. Cut off a tiny bit of the end of the lipstick that touched your lips (just to keep skin cells and stuff out of the mixture)
  2. Put all the colors you're blending into the container (don't worry if it's just sticking to the sides)
  3. Put the container in the microwave
  4. Melt with 5-10s pulses--you don't want it to burn, so don't let it sit for more than 10s per round. It should take about 30s to 1 min for your lipsticks to melt, depending on the formulas. Mix together with your mixing tool about every other pulse.
  5. Move to your new container!
  6. If reusing your container for food, wipe it out with a paper towel really well before washing, since the waxy texture of lipstick will be difficult to get off with dish soap alone.

If you don't want to use your microwave, you can also use a candle to melt the lipstick in something like a small metal measuring cup. Same idea, you want to put it on the heat, take it off, stir, put it back on, etc. Don't hold it too close to the flame b/c the bottom can burn!

Hope that helped!

I did it the lazy way - just scooped up some color out with a spoon and then held it over a candle. Once it got melty I threw in a couple drops of black dahlia and mixed it up with a toothpick. I poured it into a sample jar then stuck it in a freezer. This weekend I'm gonna make a lip palette with all the drug store lippies I have but don't use that often!

If any of my fellow no/low buyers have Sephora $15 of $50 GCs they're not using, please pm me! My entire family has pretty much asked for something beauty related for Christmas. All of a sudden *I* have become the person in my family who gives fancy gifts... Yeah right! Yup, little brother, boyfriend, and dad asked for shaving or skin care stuff... definitely testing my will power to NOT shop for myself. But they're for other peeps so I feel like it's ok Any little bit would help! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :)

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If any of my fellow no/low buyers have Sephora $15 of $50 GCs they're not using, please pm me!

My entire family has pretty much asked for something beauty related for Christmas. All of a sudden *I* have become the person in my family who gives fancy gifts... Yeah right! Yup, little brother, boyfriend, and dad asked for shaving or skin care stuff... definitely testing my will power to NOT shop for myself. But they're for other peeps so I feel like it's ok

Any little bit would help!
smile.gif
smile.gif

XD this is hilarious! my guy, who knows absolutely nothing about makeup and for years has teased me about it, last month asked me to go shopping with him for skin care stuff. 

I think I figured out how I'm going to do my no-buy in the new year. Each month, I'm going to withdraw $40 cash. That's all I can spend on makeup/skin/haircare. It will be much better than my "imposed" no buy that never works. 

In an effort to reduce the incoming beauty samples but still have some fun with beauty subs I decided to share my Ipsy bag with my daughter and we canceled her sub. When we opened our bag last night , what she wanted I wasn't interested in and she didn't want any of the items I wanted. Hopefully it works out this well every month . . . 

I think I figured out how I'm going to do my no-buy in the new year. Each month, I'm going to withdraw $40 cash. That's all I can spend on makeup/skin/haircare. It will be much better than my "imposed" no buy that never works. 
This is a good idea. I might do this, along with not bringing my credit card to any makeup stores!

my boyfriend was super peeved last night when a bunch of packages from Sephora came in and then he said that our apartment is becoming overrun with "stuff" and especially make up stuff. they're almost all presents though! it made me really upset to hear!

my game plan tonight is to de-stash, reorganize, and otherwise clean up my make up shelves. i'm also going to get rid of all of the non-essential school things i've saved. then i'm going to get rid of all the "presents stuff" to who knows where because he made it sound like he didnt want those in the apartment/didnt understand that those are HIS gifts and EVERYONE ELSES gifts. 

i also feel like if i have to get rid of a bunch of MY things that he should probably get rid of the 3 years worth of Esquire magazines that are piled in a corner of our kitchen.

sorry guys. i'm just facing the consequences of my hoarding when living in a tiny apartment. bleeeeeh.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  my boyfriend was super peeved last night when a bunch of packages from Sephora came in and then he said that our apartment is becoming overrun with "stuff" and especially make up stuff. they're almost all presents though! it made me really upset to hear!

my game plan tonight is to de-stash, reorganize, and otherwise clean up my make up shelves. i'm also going to get rid of all of the non-essential school things i've saved. then i'm going to get rid of all the "presents stuff" to who knows where because he made it sound like he didnt want those in the apartment/didnt understand that those are HIS gifts and EVERYONE ELSES gifts. 

i also feel like if i have to get rid of a bunch of MY things that he should probably get rid of the 3 years worth of Esquire magazines that are piled in a corner of our kitchen.

sorry guys. i'm just facing the consequences of my hoarding when living in a tiny apartment. bleeeeeh.
I'd try to talk about it again today when you are both calmer, and explain again that these are presents and will not be there forever.  I'd also tell him you know you have to cut back a bit on the makeup purchases, and that you are actually destashing, but that you'd appreciate if he'd do his part and destash what he can too (assuming he does have some stashes).

It does suck sharing a small apartment, I think doubly so if you are a couple.  You'd think it'd be the opposite, but in my experience nooope.

my boyfriend was super peeved last night when a bunch of packages from Sephora came in and then he said that our apartment is becoming overrun with "stuff" and especially make up stuff. they're almost all presents though! it made me really upset to hear! my game plan tonight is to de-stash, reorganize, and otherwise clean up my make up shelves. i'm also going to get rid of all of the non-essential school things i've saved. then i'm going to get rid of all the "presents stuff" to who knows where because he made it sound like he didnt want those in the apartment/didnt understand that those are HIS gifts and EVERYONE ELSES gifts.  i also feel like if i have to get rid of a bunch of MY things that he should probably get rid of the 3 years worth of Esquire magazines that are piled in a corner of our kitchen. sorry guys. i'm just facing the consequences of my hoarding when living in a tiny apartment. bleeeeeh.
My boyfriend is very critical of my makeup habit too. We don't live together, but I feel your pain! I agree with tulosai that once everything is calmer let him know that most of the packages are presents. Maybe show him this thread to even show him that you're talking to other people to help slow down your makeup collecting! And maybe make a deal with him, if you clear out X amount of makeup then he throws away Y amount of magazines.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My boyfriend is very critical of my makeup habit too. We don't live together, but I feel your pain! I agree with tulosai that once everything is calmer let him know that most of the packages are presents.

Maybe show him this thread to even show him that you're talking to other people to help slow down your makeup collecting! And maybe make a deal with him, if you clear out X amount of makeup then he throws away Y amount of magazines.
Yeah I am lucky that my bf doesn't give me toooo much of a hard time, but lately, he has started to rib me about my nail polish habit.  Deservedly so, though- I needed a reality check about that one.  So far it's been a polish free December.

we talked it over when i went back home for my lunch break. his main frustration was how rapidly i accumulated so much stuff for myself and for others. we dont fight often but this got pretty heated due to miscommunication (i saw it as he was asking me to throw everything away). tonight we're going to reorganize the closet and do a magazine refresh. before he gets home i'm going to wrap presents and put them in a basket to be taken to his mom's so they don't take up space in our tiny apartment. annnd i am also planning on doing the serious destash i've been meaning to do and update my trade/sell list!

phew. good thing finals are over. i have my work cut out for me! 
beer.gif

Product Name Price Qty Subtotal Subtotal $50.00 Shipping & Handling $0.00 Discount (Free Sample Pack with Purchase) -$10.00 Tax $0.00 400 reward points -$40.00 Grand Total $0.00 Mystery Sample Pack (free with $35+ order)View Product Page · Write a Product Review

$10.00 Ordered: 1Shipped: 1

$10.00 Liz Earle Pure Muslin ClothsView Product Page · Write a Product Review

$6.00 Ordered: 2Shipped: 2

$12.00 Sumita Brow Pencil Shade

Chai

View Product Page · Write a Product Review

$11.00 Ordered: 1Shipped: 1

$11.00 Paul & Joe Beauté Full Coverage Lipstick Shade

Retro

View Product Page · Write a Product Review

$17.00 Ordered: 1Shipped: 1

$17.00