December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've made so many makeup/clothing purchases that I need to go on a no-buy until ...maybe April of next year.  I still plan on buying staples/necessary items of things I've finished but I will not be buying things I want and not need.  I've made a list of things to finish so I can rid myself of clutter by April. So far, I've made a list of 10 items to use up by the end of this year or by April.  Every time I finish something, I'll delete it off of my list and add something that I'm almost done with or neglected onto my list.  This has worked for me in the past as I was able to finish 52 things in 6 months!!!!! And I didn't buy a single thing (other than necessary items I managed to finish but those didn't count for me on my list). 
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you! It's also encouraging to see someone on here that's had so much success with a no-buy/project pan in the past :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm glad this group exists! I have to do a no buy-- been spending too much on makeup and then makeup as gifts!  I think keeping a list of things I want to buy on a whim will be helpful.

Ugh so my 'Yes to' coupon for $2 items is good today.  Very on the fence on whether to buy or not.  I don't need anything.  But it is so cheap and I WANT.  But I really don't need anything. 

Decisions decisions.

This is exactly how I feel too. I have $20 in my cart right now but it's 2 of all the things I want. I know this is feeding my make up stockpiling habits but it's a really good deal... I could just get $10 of things. Someone, help!

Ugh so my 'Yes to' coupon for $2 items is good today.  Very on the fence on whether to buy or not.  I don't need anything.  But it is so cheap and I WANT.  But I really don't need anything.  Decisions decisions.

Quote:Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is exactly how I feel too. I have $20 in my cart right now but it's 2 of all the things I want. I know this is feeding my make up stockpiling habits but it's a really good deal... I could just get $10 of things. Someone, help!

I plan to stock up on wipes and other yesto products I use -- that way, I'm hoping it will help promote my "no buy" for quite some time into 2014. If I have all of the "essentials" that I need, I have no reason to go out looking for something to buy.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, it is my stockpiling too... for example I have shampoo and conditioner in my cart.  While I will eventually use them, to say I don't need them is an understatement of epic proportions.  I have at least 3 full sized bottles of shampoo and 3 conditioners (also full sized) at home.  One of each is maaaaaybe 1/3 gone (generous estimate).  I also have at least 10 or so samples of shampoo and the same number of conditioner samples; I'll get at least 2 uses from each of those. Now, I mean, I am sure some people have more than this stockpiled at home, but the fact is I have probably a year+ of shampoo already at home. So I mean I could buy the carrots shampoo and conditioner (and it's a great deal, and I will use it) but I just don't need it. And the rest is the same.

For you, I guess if they are products you already know you like it might be worth it since you will use them eventually for sure? (Sorry I know not helping).  But if they are products you are trying, I'd probably just get one even though it's a great deal because if you don't like it you're stuck with not just one but 2 giant bottles/packages of the thing.

I'd like to tell you girls no you don't need it but I'm probably going to stockpile too! I mean it's such a great deal I don't think I can pass it up.

I think I'm gonna cave and pick up some essentials. The Yes to carrots shampoo/conditioner sounds perfect for me. I got a couple bottles of Gloss Moderne shampoo when birchbox had that glitch. I think it's been giving me the occasional scalp pimple (gross. I know). I don't have any other shampoo besides the spare a Gloss Moderne and I'm on my last bottle of conditioner. Oh! My mom asked me for some Clinique stuff for Christmas. The woman actually constantly finishes her products - clean pans of powder and nubs of lipstick - fairly often. I realized its because she has her HG items, uses them DAILY, and sees no reason to stray from what works for her. I might cheat the Sephora system (again) and use the 2 $15 codes I have left from other accounts to buy her a replacement powder and lipstick. I should take notes from her method and stop buying so many random things!

I think I'm gonna cave and pick up some essentials. The Yes to carrots shampoo/conditioner sounds perfect for me. I got a couple bottles of Gloss Moderne shampoo when birchbox had that glitch. I think it's been giving me the occasional scalp pimple (gross. I know). I don't have any other shampoo besides the spare a Gloss Moderne and I'm on my last bottle of conditioner.

Yeah I have lowered my cart from 15 to 12 items and I am going to go for it too.  Even if only a few of them work for me, I'll have recouped my costs.

Day 10 and I've been doing fine. Stopped by Walmart with hubby and almost walked out with one of those loreal infallible eyeshadow pots. Hubby talked me out of it going "whatever happened to your no-buy?" .... best deterrent ever! lol. 

On the using my stuff up, it's been good - I have a major dip in my face powder and a blush, so I know I'm making some progress. Just going to have to make sure I don't go by there any time soon.

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Day 10 and I've been doing fine. Stopped by Walmart with hubby and almost walked out with one of those loreal infallible eyeshadow pots. Hubby talked me out of it going "whatever happened to your no-buy?" .... best deterrent ever! lol. 

On the using my stuff up, it's been good - I have a major dip in my face powder and a blush, so I know I'm making some progress. Just going to have to make sure I don't go by there any time soon.

Good for you! It's soo hard to not buy anything when shopping. I don't go into drugstores anymmore, however...

Today I walked into a supermarket to get an empty cardboard box, for a package I had to ship. I ended up buying a snack and some food. I didn't need those groceries!  I guess I just felt guilty for taking a free cardboard box and not buying anything. All stores really are made to make you buy things.

The box however was meant for a basket full of cosmetic that I finally sold. It's so nice to not have them lying around waiting anymore. I didn't get much for it, but it's off my hands.

I also stopped myself from buying cosmetics again this week. I was playing with my makeup and I used a little cream shadow quad with bright colors, as a base for some bright eyeshadows and it worked so well, I forgot how beautiful eyeshadows turn out when you layer powder over cream. I nearly walked out the door to get another cream shadow quad but this time with neutral colors. I figured that it would be something I would use every day....

...and then I stopped myself because I found my 'ideal makeup collection' list, which said: one eyeprimer. And I realised that I am not going to bother with cream and powder on an everyday basis, and my neutral shadows are of great quality and don't need any help. But the temptation is still there.

Buying makeup is such a bad habit and a hard one to break.

My no-buy is still going well, I've been distracted with christmas shopping and other plans. This should hold me off until I get a couple packages from november/open my gifts to myself on xmas. For using stuff up, I made a huge dent in my elf highlighter today when it fell on the floor! All of the product in the dome is gone so i just have what is flat in the pan. Actually it was in a bag with other more expensive products, so I'm glad it broke the fall ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> P.S. What is this "yes to" shop?

Still going strong on my polish no buy, it's been 10 whole days and no polish purchases. It probably helps that I've suddenly realized that we have less than 3 months til the wedding and I've been looking at wedding things the last few days. I've been looking at wedding favors and bridesmaids gifts. ETA: finish my sentence

Quote:Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'm gonna cave and pick up some essentials. The Yes to carrots shampoo/conditioner sounds perfect for me. I got a couple bottles of Gloss Moderne shampoo when birchbox had that glitch. I think it's been giving me the occasional scalp pimple (gross. I know). I don't have any other shampoo besides the spare a Gloss Moderne and I'm on my last bottle of conditioner.

Oh! My mom asked me for some Clinique stuff for Christmas. The woman actually constantly finishes her products - clean pans of powder and nubs of lipstick - fairly often. I realized its because she has her HG items, uses them DAILY, and sees no reason to stray from what works for her. I might cheat the Sephora system (again) and use the 2 $15 codes I have left from other accounts to buy her a replacement powder and lipstick. I should take notes from her method and stop buying so many random things!

It's funny you mentioned that. Up until a year ago, I was "reordering" blush becuase I used only one kind... and I cleared the pan about once every three months. I had one kind of mascara, one bb cream, one loose powder, one kind of blush, two or three lip glosses, and my "default" eye shadows (which were mostly clinique bonus items, and i was notorious for using them completely up!). Now I have two make up drawers in my vanity filled with random sh*t that I might use once or twice and then forget I even have it. I'm starting to become annoyed with myself. I don't need 8398749875 eye shadow palettes. Let's face it... I use the same 2-4 colors every single day. I'm slowly working through my mascara stash. And while They're Real is my HG -- I'm refusing to allow myself to purchase it until I get rid of all of the other travel size mascaras I have collecting dust. Sometimes, I wish I'd never found this "obsession" with makeup/skincare products -- my wallet would thank me, and my vanity would be far less full of random sh*t.

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh! My mom asked me for some Clinique stuff for Christmas. The woman actually constantly finishes her products - clean pans of powder and nubs of lipstick - fairly often. I realized its because she has her HG items, uses them DAILY, and sees no reason to stray from what works for her. I might cheat the Sephora system (again) and use the 2 $15 codes I have left from other accounts to buy her a replacement powder and lipstick. I should take notes from her method and stop buying so many random things!

It's funny you mentioned that. Up until a year ago, I was "reordering" blush becuase I used only one kind... and I cleared the pan about once every three months. I had one kind of mascara, one bb cream, one loose powder, one kind of blush, two or three lip glosses, and my "default" eye shadows (which were mostly clinique bonus items, and i was notorious for using them completely up!). Now I have two make up drawers in my vanity filled with random sh*t that I might use once or twice and then forget I even have it. I'm starting to become annoyed with myself. I don't need 8398749875 eye shadow palettes. Let's face it... I use the same 2-4 colors every single day. I'm slowly working through my mascara stash. And while They're Real is my HG -- I'm refusing to allow myself to purchase it until I get rid of all of the other travel size mascaras I have collecting dust. Sometimes, I wish I'd never found this "obsession" with makeup/skincare products -- my wallet would thank me, and my vanity would be far less full of random sh*t.

Me, too :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm hoping to get to a point like usofjessamerica's mom and my own where they only have 1 of the items they know work for them. my mom only has like...3 eyeshadows tops. and i think because they came in a quad-type thing. 

I'm conciously going to break my no buy today to pick up a couple of wet n wild eye shadows that will be discontinued in 2014 - wanna get some before they're gone!! But I probably won't be spending more than $10-15 anyway

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm conciously going to break my no buy today to pick up a couple of wet n wild eye shadows that will be discontinued in 2014 - wanna get some before they're gone!! But I probably won't be spending more than $10-15 anyway
which ones? I hope not nutty :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, nutty is just getting a new sku.

http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2013/12/official-list-of-wet-n-wild.html?m=1

That's where I found the list thanks to mua boards
smile.gif
I'll probably get kitten and a couple of the trios. I have the blue 8 pan palette
Why are they discontinuing Brulee?!?! I know that's a favorite among many. I can't seem to find it in stores, though :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Nevermind. New SKU. Should have read closer. 

Latest posts

Back