December 2013 - No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Misame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To everyone who is struggling with a no-buy or low-buy; remember that you don't need to experiment.

You don't need to own every color and product in the book.
OMG THIS! 

... For being a creative person, I SUCK at getting creative what I already have. chances are I can pretty much mix up any color combination I want by now, but...do I do it? no. I just go for whatever's straight out of the tube.

We should just really experiment with what we have, instead, rather than buying yet another item.... 

Also, does it count as breaking the no-buy if the husband buys more body lotion? lol.... he just came home with 2 huge bottles of aveeno, and 1 large bottle of SPF 15 lotion.

Quote: Originally Posted by saycrackagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Instead, in 2014 I would like to build up my brush and perfume collection.

...do you go through brushes often? 

I am thankful I don't have a lot of perfumes. I have plenty of "small" sized ones but I think only 1 full size bottle. My goal is to go through all of those so I can treat myself to the one I DO love: Chloe by Chloe! 

Feeling good about my purchases so far this month (since black friday). I made one sephora order (some of the $10 skincare kits), one Kiehls for eye cream, and an Ulta order that was mostly gifts and a few essentials that I will run out of within the next month. No makeup! Total was $120 and about half of that is gifts. I feel like I got some great deals and didn't overdo and stayed within the $ amount I had allotted for black fri/cyber mon. Now, I just have to stay on plan for the rest of the month. 

So far this month I have purchased 2 Christmas gifts (for approved people on my buy for list) and nothing else.

In all honesty if the yes to carrots site would have worked yesterday i'd have blown about $20 there too, so really, I think I dodged a bullet. 

Feeling good about this.

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So far this month I have purchased 2 Christmas gifts (for approved people on my buy for list) and nothing else.

In all honesty if the yes to carrots site would have worked yesterday i'd have blown about $20 there too, so really, I think I dodged a bullet. 

Feeling good about this.
I'm glad it didn't work, for the sake of my wallet. I was really thinking about it lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I made it two whole days with no polish purchases!! One day at a time!! Lol....
Yay! I wish there was a place that you could go trade used polishes for new-to-me ones! That would probably satisfy my cravings, haha!

Yay! I wish there was a place that you could go trade used polishes for new-to-me ones! That would probably satisfy my cravings, haha!
There is! It's called the MUT swap threads!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is! It's called the MUT swap threads!
Haha, I meant it person (to save on shipping!) But good point, I'm probably gonna play around in there and see if I see anything!

Quote: Originally Posted by roskandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Haha, I meant it person (to save on shipping!) But good point, I'm probably gonna play around in there and see if I see anything!
You could probably set up a polish swap between friends and let them know that they can invite their friends! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote:   Hey there! I'm on a no-buy too! Good luck.

Just wanted to give you a facewash tip. Ok, I use Clinique Acne Solutions, but I'm actually thinking about just purchasing the toner and moisturizer, and skipping the cleanser. Why? Because I've read so many times that you shouldn't invest in a cleanser as it just removes what's on your face and doesn't actually stay on your skin long enough to absorb. What you should invest in are the serums and creams you use, that actually stay on your face for more than 3 minutes.

So, in that vein, I'd suggest the following cleanser: 
Thank you for the rec! I went into CVS yesterday and bout a neutrogena cleanser similar to this but without parabens. That will be my last beauty/skincare/nail purchase of 2013! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

After some deep thinking I decided to go on a no-buy for the entire year of 2014!

I am not allowed to buy any make-up for the entire year with the following exceptions:

- I can purchase a few more lipproducts, but not exceed my 8 product limit

- If I run out of somehting, I can buy a replacement. For example, if I run out of mascara I can just buy a new one and it doesn't have to be the same one.

I want to also apply the same rules to my hair, face and body products, I don't have much excess there, but I have a few backup products and products that do essentially the same thing (a body butter, lotion, milk, butter in a bar form, large jar of nivea cream) and I just want to bring that down to one product. Once I do that I can ofcourse buy replacements or repurchase items.

I am quite content with my jewelry 'collection', it all fits in a little jewelry box, save for a few items that have their own box to prevent damage. In terms of clothing I actually have too little clothing. But since I am on a weightloss trip, I just want to get to a weight that fits my body better and then purchase some new clothes.

To prevent myself from overspending, I give my self a budget of 50 euro's a month for clothing, makeup (repurchases), jewelry, skincare, hair- and bodyproducts, gifts and schoolsupplies. My groceries have a seperate budget. It's not a lot of money, so if I am really struggling I will adjust my budget accordingly.

Quote: Originally Posted by Misame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  After some deep thinking I decided to go on a no-buy for the entire year of 2014!

I am not allowed to buy any make-up for the entire year with the following exceptions:

- I can purchase a few more lipproducts, but not exceed my 8 product limit

- If I run out of somehting, I can buy a replacement. For example, if I run out of mascara I can just buy a new one and it doesn't have to be the same one.

I want to also apply the same rules to my hair, face and body products, I don't have much excess there, but I have a few backup products and products that do essentially the same thing (a body butter, lotion, milk, butter in a bar form, large jar of nivea cream) and I just want to bring that down to one product. Once I do that I can ofcourse buy replacements or repurchase items.

I am quite content with my jewelry 'collection', it all fits in a little jewelry box, save for a few items that have their own box to prevent damage. In terms of clothing I actually have too little clothing. But since I am on a weightloss trip, I just want to get to a weight that fits my body better and then purchase some new clothes.

To prevent myself from overspending, I give my self a budget of 50 euro's a month for clothing, makeup (repurchases), jewelry, skincare, hair- and bodyproducts, gifts and schoolsupplies. My groceries have a seperate budget. It's not a lot of money, so if I am really struggling I will adjust my budget accordingly.

Stand strong! I am also doing a no-buy for the entire year. and mine is definitely an absolute no-buy.

The only things I am allowing myself to buy are toiletries if I run out, and things like...mascara, since it goes bad so fast, or foundation if I run out. Everything else I already have enough of to last me quite a year if not more. I am not allowing myself a budget either because hubby and I have decided to start saving for a house downpayment, so unless I absolutely am out of something that is necessary, there's no budget. I guess I can try a budget for when something IS needed, but allowing myself a monthly budget only makes me feel like it's okay to use it (even when there's nothing I need).

We can totally do this!

I am hoping to do a partial no-buy in 2014 (unless I use stuff up).  My no buy is of lotions, body sprays, shampoos, perfumes, conditioners, candles, and bath/shower wash.

I can only buy those things if I use up or have to throw out every single such product I own- unlikely, at best, with the possible exception of the shower wash and candles.  It is honestly disturbing how much I've accumulated of all those items. I hope to also be on a nail polish no buy for the first few months of the year, but know myself well enough to know I won't actually do a nail polish no buy for a whole year.

Regarding everything else, I am just going to try to be more careful/mindful about how much I already have, whether I already have something identical or very very similar, whether I really need something, just really want something a lot , or only actually kind of want it. I'm also going to try to think over most purchases for at least 8 hours before pulling the trigger.

Oh also so far my no buy this month is going well.  The only thing I have spent money on, still, are the two gifts I got a few days ago. I will probably have to buy some food eventually...

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stand strong! I am also doing a no-buy for the entire year. and mine is definitely an absolute no-buy.

The only things I am allowing myself to buy are toiletries if I run out, and things like...mascara, since it goes bad so fast, or foundation if I run out. Everything else I already have enough of to last me quite a year if not more. I am not allowing myself a budget either because hubby and I have decided to start saving for a house downpayment, so unless I absolutely am out of something that is necessary, there's no budget. I guess I can try a budget for when something IS needed, but allowing myself a monthly budget only makes me feel like it's okay to use it (even when there's nothing I need).

We can totally do this!
Awesome to be not alone in this! For me it would be great I would run out of anything, altough, like you, I am pretty sure I am stocked for next year, except maybe for concealer and mascara. But if I do happen to use up all of my gelliner, I won't be stopping myself from repurchasing.

My budget is mostly there to prevent myself from putting my shopping addiction to another subject like clothes or games. I really want to save money, but I do need to have some kind of budget for gifts (I happen to buy people way too expensive gifts) and schoolsupplies (art school is really expensive on a monthly basis).

But good for you for trying it hardcore (oh that sounds wrong..), We can do this indeed! Anyone else up for a 365 day no-buy?

Awesome to be not alone in this! For me it would be great I would run out of anything, altough, like you, I am pretty sure I am stocked for next year, except maybe for concealer and mascara. But if I do happen to use up all of my gelliner, I won't be stopping myself from repurchasing. My budget is mostly there to prevent myself from putting my shopping addiction to another subject like clothes or games. I really want to save money, but I do need to have some kind of budget for gifts (I happen to buy people way too expensive gifts) and schoolsupplies (art school is really expensive on a monthly basis). But good for you for trying it hardcore (oh that sounds wrong..), We can do this indeed! Anyone else up for a 365 day no-buy?
Oh tell me about art school! I graduated 2 years ago and art school left me with 38k in loans. I just repurchased my one pot of gel eyeliner from inglot (5.5g of the most intensely black liner I've ever had, for $12) and doubt I'll run out, considering I had my maybelline one with half that Amount of product for .... A year and a half and had to reconstitute it so often because it dries out yet using up a whole pot takes forever. I think if I run out of anything this year it'll be my setting powder since it's the only one I have. I think that's where I am counting necessities as the only things I can get. But blush or eyeshadow? I'm set for years, so no can do on those type of things! Let's start a hardcore (ahahaha. Or not so hardcore) 365 no-buy! A board wide challenge and then add up how much we actually saved

I am hoping to do a partial no-buy in 2014 (unless I use stuff up).  My no buy is of lotions, body sprays, shampoos, perfumes, conditioners, candles, and bath/shower wash. I can only buy those things if I use up or have to throw out every single such product I own- unlikely, at best, with the possible exception of the shower wash and candles.  It is honestly disturbing how much I've accumulated of all those items. I hope to also be on a nail polish no buy for the first few months of the year, but know myself well enough to know I won't actually do a nail polish no buy for a whole year. Regarding everything else, I am just going to try to be more careful/mindful about how much I already have, whether I already have something identical or very very similar, whether I really need something, just really want something a lot , or only actually kind of want it. I'm also going to try to think over most purchases for at least 8 hours before pulling the trigger.
I have so many freaking lotions. Jumping in on this one with you! I don't have a lot of hair stuff because my hair is curly and picky, so I'm very careful what I put in my hair. But lotions? So so many.

Day 4 of my nail polish no buy!! Woo hoo!! I doubt I could do a year long no buy, but I can certainly try to not purchase things I already have. Maybe closer to the end of the month I can take stock and see what I can add to my no buy list.

Ick, I have to go to the mall downtown tomorrow.  This actually helps me stay on a no-buy:  I hate malls this time of year, and I always want to just get in and get out ASAP if I absolutely *have* to go (I usually find ways to avoid them), so I tend to buy less than whatever I planned.  

(I have to go there because my Macbook is acting weird.  I just bought it a couple of months ago, and the WiFi connection is horrible.  I'm going to the Apple store to see if there's something wrong with it that they can fix. My iPhone doesn't have problems staying connected, but this thing?  Horrific.  It takes *hours* to download an episode of _American Horror Story_/_Sons of Anarchy_/_The Walking Dead_.  It should *not* take that long, especially when it takes about twenty minutes for my phone to download the same thing on the same network.  I can't even download updates because of this.  Hell, when I try to open the app store to see what updates are there, it rarely loads.)

Back