redjill

(Spoilers) Julep May 2014

Hmmm, they are getting very convoluted with their pricing, it feels to me like a way to get more money out of subscribers before they realize it's not a great deal. 

I think they want to make 8-9 polishes a month and have 2 in each + product in each of the 4 style profiles, then have the polish one (which will have a combo from the other boxes) and the product (no polishes) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharstarWishes View Post

About skipping , I think remember it saying being allowed to skip twice a year.
But some members can skip anytime.

Is this something we can work with CS on or do they give new members a hard time with skipping compared to other members who can skip anytime.

Why the two sets of skipping rules?

I think some newer Mavens have been able to call and get a one-time skip, but Julep won't convert you to a skip-whenever-you-want account.  My guess as to why there are two different rules is because they know that oldtimers like me would be out of there in a red hot minute if that was taken away from us since one of the big draws for this program was to be able to see the colors ahead of time, change to a different style profile if a different one was more appealing that month, and skip altogether if none interested us.  I feel like all of the changes they have been making lately have been in part specifically to gradually drive us away so they can replace us with newbies who will have to get every box, many of whom will get frequent upgrades because they haven't seen the same colors with five different names already. 

What they really need if they want people like me to not skip is an avant garde profile with experimental colors.  Call it...  Test Subject.  Think early days of Urban Decay.  No pinks, oranges, reds, corals, beiges, or any other traditional nail polish colors.  Very few creams.  Lots of unusual finishes.  A puke-green metallic?  I want it.  Soft delicate feminine floral-inspired colors?  Get that crap away from me.  If they had an experimental colors profile, I would get it every month even if the colors were mysteries and not revealed until someone received their box and posted it somewhere.  The problem for me is that Julep relies on the same basic safe colors month after month, and I am not a basic safe colors person.  It's frustrating to me that they keep churning out the same things over and over when I look at things like Adele, Reece, Etta, Glam Roc, Emilie, Jaime, Nora, Joanna, Ciara, Angela, and Blakely.  I know they can do better.  They just *don't*.

• Like 2

Skipped. I don't really want the plié wand. The only color I liked was the hot pink/watermelon pink, and I have a Julep color that's almost exactly the same.

Okay, I am currently listed at taking the full polish upgrade. My reasoning is: A) I know I'd wear/keep 6 out of the 9 colors, though at least one is a dupe--but a dupe I like! I can sell/trade the other 3; B) I really don't want the plie wand (and didn't prepay), so I'd rather not do one of the regular boxes; and C) the double jules! I was going to do CWaT with a couple of add-ons, but it just seems to make more sense to pay a bit extra and get a few more colors AND double jules.

Honestly though, I can probably see myself taking one more box after this one, waiting around until my anniversary and birthday month in July, and cashing out my jules with a final free polish upgrade. I've been a member for ~9 months now and only taken a couple of boxes (and just taken advantage of the promos and what not), but I think the new system us just becoming too confusing, and I still am convinced they will eventually take away the skip option for everyone (and feel like the customization option is part of the slow build to that). Just not really sure they are a company I want to give my money to anymore. 

I couldn't pass up the double points so I'm getting this...

Also, how many jules do you need for an upgraded box? 

I changed to Bombshell. Even though I have similar colors, they are colors that I have used quite a bit. The concern that I had with Boho Glam is the blue is way too similar to what I have already and don't really use that often. I may end up changing my mind again before the window closes.

I just realized that if the product was something other than the wand I would be all over this month. I pretty much love all the colors, I just really wish we were getting a product (instead of the wand) in the boxes and that would really put me over the top. I don't need 9 more colors and I really feel like the plié value is very low since there will be tons of people with them after the crowd funding/Jules incentive. Sounds like my add on is now sold out so if I have any trouble changing my selections I think I will just skip.

• Like 1

I'm torn--I want to try the Plie wand (I think it would help me with my toes) but I have every single color nearly covered in my collection with the exception of Bombshell.  FWIW I think the difference between that apricot and Karen is that the new one has a gold shimmer?  whereas Karen is a frost.  I am really lacking in warm colors so it might be good to take this month but the reason I lack those colors is my cool skin...

And yea, the two skip rules are because existing customers were grandfathered in on the old rules.  I would definitely have canceled after my first box if I were a new customer, unless they had more indie-style polish.  I have a large polish collection as is,  and their other products just don't interest me much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo22 View Post

I just realized that if the product was something other than the wand I would be all over this month. I pretty much love all the colors, I just really wish we were getting a product (instead of the wand) in the boxes and that would really put me over the top. I don't need 9 more colors and I really feel like the plié value is very low since there will be tons of people with them after the crowd funding/Jules incentive. Sounds like my add on is now sold out so if I have any trouble changing my selections I think I will just skip.

I was surprised that the only products were the Plié Wand and recycled Hand Creme/Scrub. I really thought that the Plié Wand would be an extra this month (like the LOVE polish in February) and they would also be sending out another product. 

this is the first time that i did not skip in a very long time. i chose the it girl box, really likes the pink and mint. also got an add on creativity kit

i'm wondering have anyone used the cuticle pusher? how do you like it? is it effective? thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggpi View Post

I'm torn--I want to try the Plie wand (I think it would help me with my toes) but I have every single color nearly covered in my collection with the exception of Bombshell.  FWIW I think the difference between that apricot and Karen is that the new one has a gold shimmer?  whereas Karen is a frost.  I am really lacking in warm colors so it might be good to take this month but the reason I lack those colors is my cool skin...

And yea, the two skip rules are because existing customers were grandfathered in on the old rules.  I would definitely have canceled after my first box if I were a new customer, unless they had more indie-style polish.  I have a large polish collection as is,  and their other products just don't interest me much.

I still wear warm colors on my cool skin. Maybe I just care less and they actually look bad, but so far I've used every color of the rainbow I've bought from Julep and I think most of them looked good. I have just been getting into Indie polish and I made a big purchase from Rainbow Honey, and I've got a few others I'm looking at. I look at Julep as my source for cremes, shimmers, and sometimes more interesting silks, and glitters, and I'll get Indie polish elsewhere. I wonder if that's why they're hesitant to try more "Indie-like" colors, because there are so many other places to get those, and I bet the colors each month are picked out and made months in advance. They try something new, but it's not for a while that they can try it again if it sold well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Silva View Post

I still wear warm colors on my cool skin. Maybe I just care less and they actually look bad, but so far I've used every color of the rainbow I've bought from Julep and I think most of them looked good. I have just been getting into Indie polish and I made a big purchase from Rainbow Honey, and I've got a few others I'm looking at. I look at Julep as my source for cremes, shimmers, and sometimes more interesting silks, and glitters, and I'll get Indie polish elsewhere. I wonder if that's why they're hesitant to try more "Indie-like" colors, because there are so many other places to get those, and I bet the colors each month are picked out and made months in advance. They try something new, but it's not for a while that they can try it again if it sold well.

I'm fine with Julep doing what they do best--the polishes I've been happiest with from them really are the classic cremes.  I just could never take a box every month without having a lot of dupes/colors so similar I don't need both.  I'm glad I kept skipping instead of cancelling, I would never rejoin now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo22 View Post

I'm going bombshell with Paulette added on for now. I don't know though, I really don't want that wand. If I didn't have Jules to cover the box I would skip, but I still might skip anyway. It bugs me that the core classics box is my January box with an extra item and extra Jules.

I know! I have zero interest in the wand, but I am pretty interested in extra Jules. I still feel like my January box was a good deal; I'm so happy with those three products that I was actually considering buying another set from the Jule Box.  I figure I might as well just get the classics box this month... It's a good price for products that I love, and you KNOW the polishes will be on sale later anyway. The wand too, for that matter.

I'm trying to decide if I want an add-on for the fun of getting a new color, or if I should wait to see real-life swatches from people.

• Like 1

Hi!! Just joined MUT but I've been creeping for a little while... I'm assuming that the price for a box with the polish lovers upgrade is $45 and the price for the ultimate upgrade is $75. But everything you get added with the ultimate upgrade is available with the $17.99 plie wand nail polishing system add-on. So it's just an extra $12?
Hi, welcome! Well, seems like I'm the only one doing the Ultimate upgrade. Yeah, it's $12 cheaper to do the polish upgrade and then add on the pile set, but I figure with the 2000 Jules I'll earn, my next box will be free. :D And since I haven't skipped since July (had to for monetary reasons- the California Coast collection was actually my favorite of all time), I'm pretty sure that will be the June box. ;)

$45 (polish only upgrade) + $18 (plie and stuff) -$13 (1300 earned Jules which is basically $13 credit toward a future box) = $50 + two available add-on spots

$75 (full upgrade which includes polishes + plie + plie accessories) - $20 (2000 earned Jules towards a future box) = $55 + three available add-on spots

Hooray, math!

• Like 1

Ok, I was considering doing the ultimate upgrade because I have enough Jules for it, but then realized I wouldn't earn the double Jules this month if I used Jules to pay for the box.  So I'll save it for another month when it isn't double Jules. 

I'm also curious about the customizable box option.  Does anyone here currently have a gift subscription AND have the skip options?  I'm just curious if you prepay and skip a month...do you get charged for another 3 month subscription at 3 months?  Or after your credits run out?  The FAQs don't address it since they took away the skip options.

I actually got to try the plie wand.  I didn't know a huge difference in painting my nails, but it did help a bit in that it helped to balance the brush.  It certainly helped when I was using the tools.  I'll be curious what everyone else thinks about it. 

Okay. I think I solved all my confusion. Haha.

I did the crowdfunding pre-order so I have a 19.99 credit towards this box, and I love all the colors so I did the polish upgrade since for crowdfunders it DOES come with a plie wand (per the email I got yesterday, it's there in writing so I'm holding them to it...haha) and then added on the creativity kit. 

So I should be getting all 9 polishes, the plie wand, and the dotting/striping tools. I have an email to them to confirm that's how this is all going down though :)

And about the customization. I'm excited about the option! Not sure I'll go for it or not just yet, I might wait and see how everything works out before I switch over since you can't switch back. Most months I love at least one profile though so I'm pretty happy as is right now. 

Hi, welcome! Well, seems like I'm the only one doing the Ultimate upgrade. Yeah, it's $12 cheaper to do the polish upgrade and then add on the pile set, but I figure with the 2000 Jules I'll earn, my next box will be free. :D And since I haven't skipped since July (had to for monetary reasons- the California Coast collection was actually my favorite of all time), I'm pretty sure that will be the June box. ;)
So I was all over the place today... Started by switching from CwaT to Boho, because Paulette was sold out when I woke up, and adding on the CwaT colors. Then I added the Jules pink because I don't have a pink that color and it's a good neutral shade. And then I switched it to the Polish Lover's Upgrade, because that Mint color is fantastic... Added on the Plié wand... And then said, "Screw it! I want a free box next month (well, discounted, if you account for the price difference between PL+wand and Ultimate). Ultimate Upgrade and 2000 Jules to me!" I'm new and just starting my polish collection, so no dupes here... This time. I can't imagine that I'd do this very often... Especially without the double Jules incentive.
  • Like 1

Originally Posted by emilylithium View Post

i'm wondering have anyone used the cuticle pusher? how do you like it? is it effective? thanks!

I love it - my husband hates it.  But I seriously cannot paint my nails without it now.

I got it for Christmas from my in-laws in the Julep the manicure kit, and although there is a polish clean-up tool included in that kit (which I LOVE), the cuticle pusher is absolutely perfect for the job.  The fine ends help clean up any polish that drifts over the cuticle and around the edge of the nail bed.  It having reversible ends allows you to clean up either hand, and either side of the nail, quickly and without it being awkward to do so.  And the ends have a perfect "curve" that goes right under the nail tip.  If my nails are a bit shorter and I don't want the polish going on the tip of my finger, I'll put the end curved under my nail as a barrier from the skin - hope that one makes sense.

My husband hates it because I paint my nails on the couch and that little sucker rolls around like crazy.  If I forget to put a small box next to me to hold my tools, the cuticle pusher never fails to roll into the cushions 2-3 times and I have to call him over to fish it out because my nails are wet.  It drives him crazy.  ooops.gif

My MIL was out earlier in the month and watched me paint my nails one night.  She was so intrigued watching me use the cuticle pusher (that she bought me), she took the polish she was wearing off and did her nails again.  I'm under strict orders to get her one for Mother's Day.  So I know it's not just me that loves it for another purpose...  (All that said, it works great as a cuticle pusher / cleaning tool with Julep's Vanish as well!  My favorite use for it just isn't the original intended one.)

• Like 3

My boyfriend's feelings are hurt that I didn't include his input into this polish decision making process. He was very helpful. :icon_wink

• Like 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksoki View Post

My boyfriend's feelings are hurt that I didn't include his input into this polish decision making process. He was very helpful. icon_wink.gif

Haha totally jealous of him, my bf couldn't care less about my recent makeup/polish/Julep addiction! I think the only thing he likes is that I have cuticle oil around to use on his nails. It's ok though we have so many other common interests, that I don't mind too much when he gives me a hard time.

I was just thinking about the customization option, and someone was making a point about why not just add on the polish you want, same price but an extra polish etc. But what if they get rid of the beauty product customization we've had recently for only the people who are subscribed to the customization options? What if we have to get the color that comes with the profile, for instance the blush, lip gloss, eye sheens, we had recently? I would not be happy if they did that.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about the customization option, and someone was making a point about why not just add on the polish you want, same price but an extra polish etc. But what if they get rid of the beauty product customization we've had recently for only the people who are subscribed to the customization options? What if we have to get the color that comes with the profile, for instance the blush, lip gloss, eye sheens, we had recently? I would not be happy if they did that.
I really hadn't thought of the recent color customizations changing. I also hope they don't take add-ons away. Julep acted in their post like nothing would change for current mavens who want to stay with their current plan so I hope that's the case. I could see that they would want people to pay extra for customization though, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.
  • Like 2

So I was all over the place today... Started by switching from CwaT to Boho, because Paulette was sold out when I woke up, and adding on the CwaT colors. Then I added the Jules pink because I don't have a pink that color and it's a good neutral shade. And then I switched it to the Polish Lover's Upgrade, because that Mint color is fantastic... Added on the Plié wand... And then said, "Screw it! I want a free box next month (well, discounted, if you account for the price difference between PL+wand and Ultimate). Ultimate Upgrade and 2000 Jules to me!" I'm new and just starting my polish collection, so no dupes here... This time. I can't imagine that I'd do this very often... Especially without the double Jules incentive.
Yeah, I've never upgraded before, and I've been a Maven for almost a year. Partly it's because I got a decent tax rebate this year though.

My boyfriend's feelings are hurt that I didn't include his input into this polish decision making process. He was very helpful. :icon_wink
Haha totally jealous of him, my bf couldn't care less about my recent makeup/polish/Julep addiction! I think the only thing he likes is that I have cuticle oil around to use on his nails. It's ok though we have so many other common interests, that I don't mind too much when he gives me a hard time.
You're both lucky. My boyfriend gets so annoyed about my polish addiction. It makes a mess sometimes, and it costs too much money, he says. And I have way too many colors. But he's probably right. 😓