meaganola

MUT NEST (All-purpose year-round chat!)

Brought to you by 80's hair, synth pop legends, and my summer of 1985.  (Yes, this is from 1984, but it wasn't on constant loop on HBO/Showtime when I was visiting my grandparents until the following year.)  Oh, and, of course, Falcor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khTntOxX-k

The officially unofficial MUT NEST, aka the year-round slumber party/summer camp/happy hour/you name it!  My acronym meaning is clearly Never Ending Story Time.  Your expansion may vary.

This thread is not specific to any exchange or group!  It's here to fill in the gaps between Midsummer and Secret Santa -- and, if there turns out to be a desire, to bridge the gap between multiple exchanges that might be going on at the same time, whether that's Midsummer and Summerswap or nails and classic Secret Santa.  Come one, come all, even if you haven't participated in an exchange in the past or have no plans to do so in the future!  Sometimes I think we only ended up doing Midsummer because everyone just wanted a reason to hang out in a general thread and chat!  There is only one rule specific to this thread (standard MUT rules apply, of course):  Nothing is off-topic here.  It would be groovy if photos were put behind spoilers if there are more than a few in a post simply to make it easier for people to scroll through on phones.

• Like 6

I may have ordered 20 sheet masks today (and am looking at making an additional order elsewhere) – so this girl is definitely ready!  ;)

• Like 1

Just signing in with my mint chocolate chip (actually the better kind with the salted dark chocolate and mint fudge cups).

What is this magic you speak of!?!?

What is this magic you speak of!?!?

Private Selection Denali Mint Moose Tracks Ice Cream--I get it at my local Kroger whenever it is on sale!

• Like 4

I have pie, does that count?

Pie *always* counts. 

(When I first moved into this apartment, it was during the first season of _Dollhouse_.  I didn't have wifi yet, and I don't have a tv, so on Saturday mornings, I would take my laptop to the coffee house a block away and have pie and a mocha or iced tea while I used their wifi to watch it!  For a coffee place, their coffee-based beverages were atrocious, but their pies are *awesome*.  They usually have ten different varieties on any given day until they run out of that one for the day.  Mmm, pie.  Both sides of my family are from Yakima, which is a *huge* tree fruit-growing area, so we frequently had fruit pies growing up, even after we moved away from that area.  Mom's secret to thickening filling:  Minute tapioca pearls.  She *hated* messing with cornstarch.  Ack!  Now I want pie!)

• Like 2

I have pie, does that count?

I hope so because I just polished off a piece of peach pie...my favorite! 

Private Selection Denali Mint Moose Tracks Ice Cream--I get it at my local Kroger whenever it is on sale!

I don't normally shop at Kroger, but now I might!

• Like 1

Well worth a Kroger trip--I have never known a mint chocolate chip fan who did not think this was better than their to that point favorite version.

I don't have a Kroger! :( we have something called a moose tracks ice cream up here though. I'm gonna investigate whilst grocery shopping tomorrow.

• Like 1

Oh Kroger I MISS YOU.  They're everywhere around where I'm from (Greater Cincinnati area), and NOWHERE where I am now (rural NC).  

They have my tea (Bigelow's Vanilla Caramel)

They have my chili (Skyline)

They have my ice cream (UDF's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough)

They have my tartar sauce (Frisch's! A local restaurant - Kroger sells it in jars that I can TAKE HOME, though!)

They have my chip dip (Montgomery Inn BBQ Dip)

They have awesome sales, and clearance items (I got a bread machine for $20 that is currently selling on Amazon for $65!)

They have fuel points - for every $100 you spend, you get $0.10 off per gallon at their station.  On the weekends, double fuel points! My husband's aunt ROUTINELY gets $0.50 off per gallon!

I never thought it was possible to love a grocery store this much! Haha!

• Like 1

I can't decide whether I'm lucky or unlucky to live basically where I grew up.  I'm a block from the pizza place where we went to all the time when I was in college.  I'm actually here purely accidentally.  I had precisely zero intent to move to this area (I was trying to move to the Bay area, preferably Berkeley or Oakland), nevermind on the bus line that runs *to the hospital where I was born*.  All of the regional stuff I grew up with that is still made is still available at Fred Meyer!  (Freddy's is actually now a Kroger company, but they haven't really changed very much from when I was a kid despire the acquisition.) 

Unfortunately, the ice cream I was obsessed with in college is a brand that isn't even made any more.  Danken's.  It was a small company in Seattle (where I moved in 1992) that was *amazing* and basically a local Ben & Jerry's.  They had some questionable flavors (*why* did Old English 800 -- yes, as in the malt liquor -- ice cream even exist?), but there were some that I mourned so severely that I have repressed their names and components because I will be too upset at the world's loss to be able to move on with my life.  I can still remember the scrape of the plastic carton on the freezer shelf, though.  Man, I miss the '90s.

I don't have a Kroger! :( we have something called a moose tracks ice cream up here though. I'm gonna investigate whilst grocery shopping tomorrow.

If you have a QFC, they're owned by Kroger. I want to say different region, different name.

I may have ordered 20 sheet masks today (and am looking at making an additional order elsewhere) – so this girl is definitely ready!  ;)

Just found this thread! Yay!!

I had to work out of my normal area 2 days ago and stopped in a Asian grocery that had a beauty store inside  :w00t:  I purchased 10 Korean face masks, so I'm ready too :smilehappyyes:

• Like 3

I went with what was supposed to be a cooling mask because it's still 90 degrees in my apartment.  I am not exaggerating.  I have a thermometer next to me.  90.1 in my living room at 9:20 in the evening.  And 75.9 in my bedroom!  Thank you, Bobby Drake!  (Yes, I named my air conditioner.)  I'm seriously considering going to bed now just because it's cooler in there, but I'm not particularly sleepy, and not-sleepy + gone-to-bed = severe frustration.

Oh.  Right.  The mask.  The supposed to be a cooling mask.  It didn't do much to cool my face down.  SUMMER!  DO NOT LIKE!  READY FOR AUTUMN NAO!

Tomorrow is _Guardians of the Galaxy_ day for me!  Who else is seeing it this weekend?  I'll be seeing it at a local theatre that happens to be haunted.  I love that place.  I watched the last half of the last season of _Battlestar Galactica_, the last season of _Lost_, and the last episode of _Breaking Bad_ there.  Good times.  And balcony seating!  A full menu including tater tots (and this is part of...  Oh, just go look up McMenamin's.  It's too hard to explain everything they do)!  They don't bat an eye when you bring your own Nalgene bottle of water in!  And when your ticket is seven bucks for a first-run movie, you do feel like you can afford a slice of pizza or some tater tots with your movie.  I made the mistake of getting pizza *and* tots once, although that might have been the night of the series finale for _Lost_.  I think that was a three- or four-hour adventure.

• Like 1

My husband and his friends are hitting up the drive-in to see it tonight. Kiddos start school Monday so 8pm bedtimes are in place  :scared: I'm going to miss our free living days of summer. If it's okay for the kiddos to see, we'll watch it Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

@@SaraP I'm sending my kids your way!  They don't start back til the 25th and they're trying to annoy me to death, I swear!

I did the Michael Todd Pumpkin Mask!  My skin has been dull and break-out-y and just bleh, so I thought burning off the top few layers and then smearing on some Argan Oil might help! (Also, almost all the way through my sample tube from Ipsy, um, one whole year ago! Oops!) But yay my skin is so soft and pretty now!

• Like 2

And speaking of masks, I love paper masks but have only ever used Freeman.  I got a MaskerAid mask from @@puppymomofthree in the mss and oh em gee!  I am in love!  I ordered a bunch from their site but there is no way I'll ever be able to get enough of these.  Please keep that in mind if you get me for Secret Santa!!!

• Like 1