MAC Prep + Prime or Smashbox Photofinish?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent tried either the MAC or smashbox, but I would definitely recommend the La Prairie rose illusion line filler as a foundation primer. It is THE best! You need just a TINY amount to get beautiful skin. It really does work as it smoothes over pores and minor blemishes and I can always tell the difference when I dont have mine on. It makes your foundation look flawless and helps keep it looking fresgher for longer. Get a sample from La Prairie and I am sure you will love it.

Hope this helps! xx

I've never tried smashbox so I couldnt compare but I love MAC prep and prime

Any more opinions on this one? I'm trying to decide which to try first for my combo skin (oily skin but with dry patches) and I'm leaning towards the MAC primer purely from reading reviews. If you've tried either please reply! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i broke out on my forehead also, so i stopped using the smashbox. it's a shame because i really liked the way it made my makeup look. oh well, you don't get to win all the time!

Has anyone with dry skin had experience with the MAC primer? Is it likely to grab dry patches?

You are so right! It really is a nice primer but, for some reason my skin just dosen't like it.

If i'm having problems with dry patches it actually helps the situation. It's always better if you use a good moisturizer first though .. and try to eliminate as much of they dryness as you can before you use the primer but, MAC Prep + Prime definately dosen't magnify dryness.

I have dry skin and have been using MAC for a while now. I really like it and it leaves my mu looking good.

I'm fairly certain they have basically the same ingredients - what counts in a primer is dimethicone.

Something interesting I found about primers. These are some popular brand's ingredients:

Smashbox<O:p</O:p

Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Isopropylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Carthamus Tinctorium (Safflower) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Water.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Vincent longo<O:p</O:p

Water, Dimethicone, Dipropylene Glycol, PEG-8, Copolyol Crossopolymer, Phenyl Dimethicone, Sodium PCA, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Pryridoxine HCA, Bistort (Polyonum Bistorta) Extract, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Citrate, Methylparaben, Methycellulose, Tocopherol.<O:p</O:p

DHC Velvet Skin Coat<O:p</O:p

<O:p> </O:p>cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI / trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica, propylparaben<O:p</O:p

<O:p

The ingredients in the primer I use:</O:p

<O:pCyclopentasiloxane; Dimethicone; Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone; Crosspolymer; Silica; Tocopheryl Acetate; Trisiloxane</O:p

<O:p

<O:pI like mine because it costs $6 for 1.5 ounce and it has fewer ingredients to mess with my skin and I can get it at CVS, Wal*Mart, or Walgreens.</O:p

I couldn't say, since I haven't tried them both, but I do highly recommend Smashbox--it feels so light on, and makes skin look better and more poreless

Back