Who Taught You How To Do Makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I learned by experimenting and from magazines (which really doesn't help because there are hardly any east Asian models when I was growing up). My mother does not use makeup, I don't have any sisters, and all my friends were as clueless as me. Also my parents forbid me to wear makeup so I had to sneak makeup at school and wipe it off before I get home.

I remember my friends and I used to sit in our bedrooms and try on all the makeup tricks in the magazines. We couldn't afford anything nice so we started with drug store brands like Wet N' Wild, having a Revlon lipstick or eyeshadow compact was the shiatz back then
laughing.gif

well i had learnd from hairstylist and makeup artist since I was 10 then I went to school for cosmetology so with the experience over the years kind of just build up but I went to school to get my license so that was extra learning

I wonder if other Asians have the same problems I had. There was very little in way of guidance for me growing up in regards to makeup. None of the movies and magazines would have enough actresses or models for me to learn makeup tricks from. Also I find that the way Hollywood does Asian women up is not really flattering. It's like they don't know what to do with Asian features either so they always do the smokey eye thing, which is basically smearing black eyeshadow around the entire eye. That's great and all but I don't really enjoy looking like I got punched in the eye every day.

Even the makeup application books that is specifically meant for Asian women is not really helpful, they tend to use mixed models who have very little Asian features and some don't even look Asian at all.

there is going to be a video shoot soon on that when it comes out Ill let you know

Originally Posted by laur_8706 Magazines, online, trial and error. same, no one is my house is really into make-up. They are now because of me. lol

Originally Posted by spikeyli I learned by experimenting and from magazines (which really doesn't help because there are hardly any east Asian models when I was growing up). My mother does not use makeup, I don't have any sisters, and all my friends were as clueless as me. Also my parents forbid me to wear makeup so I had to sneak makeup at school and wipe it off before I get home.
I remember my friends and I used to sit in our bedrooms and try on all the makeup tricks in the magazines. We couldn't afford anything nice so we started with drug store brands like Wet N' Wild, having a Revlon lipstick or eyeshadow compact was the shiatz back then
laughing.gif

All the girls here in MuT!!! Before I joined I knew nothing, I was just putting stuff on my face without technique. LOL. I learned it all here.
11a.gif

Trial and error, magazines, and forums like this one! I've been wearing makeup for 20 years, and I'm STILL learning!

First from my mom. Then I would make over friends and by two younger sisters. I am a creative person so when I see something I have no problem taking it to another level.

mainly from magazines and from watching my mother. However, I dont remember my mum ever actually showing me how to use makeup. My mum didnt wear a lot of makeup but my aunts and grandmother did so i always raided their makeup bags!

What were the worst makeup mistakes you ever made?

I remember mine was in high school, bright glittery aqua blue eyeshadow and black eyeliner applied with a heavy hand. I remember the reason I was wearing blue (which does nothing for my brown eyes or olive skin by the way) was because all the IT girls wore blue that year.

Oh and very shimmery pink lipsticks, made my teeth look yellow and my face pale but damn it all the cool kids were wearing it!

I started by playing with my sisters old makeup. and when she was feeling generous she would try stuff out on me and then I took it from there. 15 years later and I'm still learning everyday.

Back