Who Taught You How To Do Makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the problem is the more I learn from people and magazines the more confuse I get. Eventually I just go back to the routine that works for me. It just never looks the same on me as it does on other people.

In the beginning, my older sisters--two and four years older. But I was too young to retain much that I learned--I was only around 8 and 9.In my adolescence, it was 1 older sister and lots of magazines, and most recently(and successfully!)it has been the girls here at MUT!

I am still learning! :) But in my young days, my first make-up lesson was from my aunt and then lots of trial and error.

I'm another self-taught one. My mother doesn't wear make-up although I have seen a few photos of her in the 60's with major black eyeliner.

BAck in the day, I had a few drag queen friends who gave me some great ideas and other than that.....well I do not hesitate to go to a makeup counter and ask for a makeover. I go when they aren't busy and always buy something for their trouble. I've gotten some great recommendations that way. Mostly, though, it's just been me playing around like a little kid with fingerpaints.
moa.gif

I wish I had drag queens as friends, just imagine the makeup possibilities!!!

I tend to shy away from makeup counters in department stores these days. They always seem to get confused as to what to do for my Asian features and they either cake it on real thick where I don't even look like myself anymore or they just go for the old fashion "smokey eye" aka panda look.

Another thing that irks me about the MA at the counters is they tend to lean towards tangerine looking blush, which gives me an orange glow. I always found a shimmery pink, like BE's rose radiance, looks great on me. I just find myself doing a better job and this way I don't get guilt into buying stuff from the MA.

Originally Posted by laur_8706 Magazines, online, trial and error. Same here

Practice, practice practice! I still need help though, I wish I could take some expert makeup lessons!

I learned practically everything I know when I was an MA for Victoria's Secret Beauty the summer before college (in big cities, the beauty section will have its own store separate from the lingerie store). My entire purpose in life was to do make-overs and the only thing I knew at the time was what I had seen my mom do! I can't tell you how many times I practiced on the manager before I did my first customer!
ven.gif
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I haven't changed my technique in the six years since then...maybe I need to do something about that? lol

Most of the time I'm playing around with it, though I've used a few tutorials from this site and they turned out great =]

i learnd through experimentation too, but i also learned from my older sister and magazines and stuff

me, myself and MUT!

actually, most of what i've learned comes from looking through endless pages of magazines, books, Internet pages/forums, studying pictures and experimenting.

Self-taught. I've always been into colors and the artsy and artistic things. Doing makeup is one way that i express myself, through colors and themes. Notice my av? I'm avaerage with a slight flairiness to me. I love being different and looking different. Over the years, magazines intensified makeup colors really broaden my horizon. And I was quite rebellious and my parents wouldn't let me breathe makeup
bs.gif
. But its cool. "Cause being a makeup artist is paying my bills right about now.
laughing.gif

I have several relatives who were professional hair stylists and makeup artists.

I've always been into makeup, since I was little and would play with my mom's makeup (and all she had was a brownish maroon lipgloss, a red lipstick, a kohl pot, and a kajal stick). Although I didn't start wearing serious makeup until I was around 17, and then my aunt bought stuff for me, put it on for me, then taught me how to do it myself. Now I've surpassed her as far as application goes, and I tend to experiment a bit more than she does. Beyond that, I like to look at photos in magazines and online, and try to figure out how to replicate the looks.

i taught myself!
biggrin.gif
and i started copying looks from makeup magazines.. i used to wear makeup to college everyday so that was how i practiced =P

Mostly by experimenting by myself. A little from my friends, but mostly through trial and error. My mom never really wore makeup - just a little powder and a little blush. Now sometimes she lets me do "makeovers" on her. It's fun.

Latest posts

Back