Sleeping in Mineral Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone thinks about these mineral makeup companies recommending that you apply your MMU before bed and sleep in it because it is good for your skin. I personally think it's crazy! Both Signature and Joppa recommend washing and then re-applying your makeup before bed! I mean come on, most mineral makeup contains the same ingredients (some use more or less of certain ingredients) and I don't think any other company makes that claim (BE says that you can sleep in it, but doesn't say you should). These two claim that it is so good for your skin you SHOULD sleep in it. I can see saying that if you need to sleep with it on for some reason every once in a while that it shouldn't cause you to break out (though it probably would me, I'm pretty prone to breakouts). But to say that you should, I think is really putting themselves at risk for false advertising or fraud or something. I would not think any doctor would recommend this and that you should always wash your makeup before going to sleep as often as you can. Any thoughts??

EDIT: This convsation gets a little out of control. I was not implying that Signature Minerals is fraudently implying that sleeping in your makeup is a good thing. Joppa does explictly say apply makeup and go to bed, it is good for your skin. Signature says re-apply makeup before bed and sleep in it, if that is your routine! I apparently offended and I apologize for that!

That's weird, I would think any kind of makeup would clog pores. And imagine how dirty your pillows and sheets will get!

Absolutely. I don't want makeup in my bed, but it "grinding" into my skin as I turn in my sleep. I can't imagine that could be good for your skin. Granted my skin never looked better since I started using MMU. No more liquid for me, but not gonna sleep in it.

i wish that we could sleep in makeup! i'm trying to find a less expensive alternative for the bare escentuals rareminerals night treatment for when i'm travelling and have to be around a lot of people. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You are going way out a limb with this post. I don't know what Joppa says but Signature Minerals DOES NOT recommend sleeping in makeup and they DO NOT say that it is good for your skin.

Did you even bother to read what they say before you posted this nonsense? :tonton:

I can't seem to copy and paste here, but this is the jist of what they say:

------------------------------

From signatureminerals.com :

Q. Will sleeping in Signature Minerals make my acne worse?

A. The simple answer is no. Sleeping in Signature minerals will not make your acne worse.

However, as a former acne sufferer I would like to expand: while sleeping in mineral makeup is acne safe, ignoring your daily cleansing/acne routine may not be.

Then she goes on to recommend that IF you ARE going to do it, stick to your nightly cleansing and reapply.

--------------------------------------

When I read this post I had to go see for myself because it was unbelievable to me. I have had phone conversations with her about acne and how to get best coverage, etc.. I know from personal experience that she is very sensitive to helping people with acne because her and her kids have all had MAJOR problems with it in the past.

I'm glad I looked to see the truth about what was said. Believe me what she really said is completely in character. She is a very nice person and would never say and DOES NOT SAY what you are claiming.

Anyone interested in seeing what is ACTUALLY said IN CONTEXT can see it here .

UGH, I hate it when people post falsely about ANYONE!

I wasn't tyring to post anything falsely. This was a topic on another message board and I wondered what people here thought. I got this information directly from Signature's website: She highly suggests re-applying before bedtime. I see you are a big Signature fan and that you live in the same area as her, so did not mean to offend!!

"Q: "Will sleeping in Signature Minerals make my acne worse?"

A. The simple answer is no. Sleeping in Signature Minerals will not make your acne worse.

However, as a former acne sufferer, I would like to expand: While sleeping in Signature mineral makeup is acne safe, ignoring your daily cleansing and/or acne routine may not be. ....

If your regimen includes night time cleansing, etc. and you want to sleep in your minerals on a regular basis, please stay true to your nightly routine.

I highly suggest that you cleanse, medicate (if necessary) and then reapply your Signature mineral makeup before bed.

This way you have the best of both with no regrets. "

copied from SM acne faq here

LOOK AT THE CONTEXT. WHERE OH WHERE does it say that it is good for your skin? WHERE?

And clearly she is saying to WASH your face first if you are going to wear it! No where is it recommending that you should sleep in it.

UGH!! You see what you choose to see here. I think most people can understand exactly what is meant and what is REALLY being said.

It says:

I highly suggest that you cleanse, medicate (if necessary) and then reapply your Signature mineral makeup before bed.

That is all...is makeup good to sleep in? I wouldn't think anyone would suggest that... please don't get so defensive. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was looking for opinions and I am copying from her website, not making it up!

Okay...well. Little misunderstanding. Let's not blow it out of proportion,eh? I, personally, would rather have clean skin when I go to bed at night. Even if it IS okay to sleep in it. Not that I always do. I am too tired alot and end up going to bed with my face on anyway.

Oh, I just realized!! LePa is Signature Minerals owner Leann Pass! Birmingham, AL...it all makes sense. I did not mean to offend you LePa...I really do like your makeup. You've got a great product!!

You are really determined to leave out the CONTEXT of what is being said, I am curious as to why that is. You have just posted the last of a 3 paragraph faq and you are saying she says it is recommended or good for your skin? No it doesn't and it is obviously not the intent of the answer to the faq question. It is more of a warning not to ignore your acne routine.

And, the defensiveness (if that is what you want to call it) is because your original post was riddled with accusations, untrue accusations as far as I can see. I generally get a little defensive when I feel ANYONE is being publically ridiculed for no good reason. Its not nice and its not right.

:laughing: Actually NO, jeese I wish I did have my own company, I could quit my job! Then again, I might not be able to keep up with that these days. This is getting to be too funny and insane! What's with you and all the accusatory stuff today? I like the product, I use the product. We all have our favs. Do I live near them? Yes. Unfortunately I have to order online like everyone else because they don't have a retail store AND I have to pay TAXES! - doesn't seem fair does it?

And by the way - LePa was a name I chose a few years ago. It stands for what my 5 year old granddaughter calls me and my husband: Lela and Papa. It was supposed to be Nana and she managed to turn it into Lela! I thought it was cute and kind of creative. Sinister I know :laughing:

Please have a good night and a very merry Christmas.

Öh, Ok. It's just that the little "Just Me" you sign off with is the same "Just Me" that Leann Pass Leann Pass » SEO BLACKMAIL has on her Blog about Web Design. I teach Search Engine Optimization and I've frenquently gone to her site. Her and her husband own a web hosting and design firm in Birmingham, AL and I recently found out she owns Signature Minerals, which was so weird since I've used it and liked it. Just coincidence I guess. She's not near old enough in her picture to have grown kids or grandkids though. My mistake. Yes, have a great holiday! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

No problem AverysMom, I think its just a strange and stressfull time of year for all of us. We just finished Christmas shopping today! Ever tried to find a "Winter White Pea Coat" the Saturday before Christmas? OMG!!!!! We hit -honestly- 25 major stores and still couldn't find exactly what my youngest wanted =( . It was the only thing she asked for so I was kind of heart broken. Im keeping my fingers crossed that she loves what we wound up with!

I wish it was January 2! The holidays are killing me!!

You have a wonderful holiday too!

Okay, does everyone feel better now? Frustrations are out, and importantly, question answered?

what a waste of make-up! i have gone to bed with MMU on a couple times and my skin felt just as icky in the morning as w/traditional foundations

I sleep in MMu all the time , but onli cuz it's been a long day and i was too tired to keep my eyes open to walk all the way to the bathroom and wash it off. I've had no bad skin reaction from it in the morning when i wake up ... however, i would never bother to re-apply b4 bed .. i like sleepin w/a fresh washed face :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was too lazy one light to wash my make up off (I use every day minerals) so I slept in it and the next day I didnt have any new break outs, my face didnt feel or look any differnt. i wouldnt do it every night but I think every once in a while wouldnt hurt it.

Back