Sleeping in Mineral Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ditto, I also have had a few nights here and there where I was too lazy to take my makeup off before going to bed :sleepyhead: and I haven't had ANY breakouts. when I was using regular makeup (mac studiofix), if I did that, it was a guarantee that I would have a new pimple everytime, so I would avoid doing it as much as possible. however, since using mmu, I'm not as afraid to be lazy and fall asleep with it on...bad, I know. :scared:

yah .. so true . I remembered when i was sleepin @ my b/f's a long time ago and was wearing liquid ... i woke up the next morning to cute (yah right) lil breakouts everywhere! yikes!

The only time I slept in my mmu was the day I woke up at 5 am to go to work, then after work flew to visit my in-laws and didn't arrive at their house until 3 am! I didn't notice any break outs from that one time .... but keep in mind that it does take 2-4 weeks for a pimple to appear after the pore is clogged. I don't *think* I broke out a few weeks after that ....

I would still feel gross sleeping in mmu though, between my oily skin and rubbing against the pillow case, I think I would just smear it everywhere and make a mess! Plus, my nightly acne medicine has done a lot to help my skin, so I sure don't want to skip that -- if I did ever choose to sleep in my mmu as a way to help my skin, I would definitely still wash and medicate then reapply the mmu!

IMO what is completely insane is the fact that companies like BE say that thier product is natural! And that is why you can sleep in it. Any moderately educated person can read the ingredient label and see that mineral m/u is not all natural! Besides, I don't want to sleep in my m/u anyway-it feels gross.

Unfortunately, the FDA doesn't regulate what cosmetic companies say. They can state the product is derm. tested and it's not. Pretty much they can say whatever they want.

There are some label claims that cannot be made. An example is a specified SPF on a product. If they haven't had it tested (SPF is a laboratory measure of the effectiveness of sunscreen), then they can't make the claim. This testing is required by the FDA. If they have had the product tested and make the claim, then it's now an OTC sunscreen drug/cosmetic.

OTC drugs must be labeled according to OTC drug regulations, including the "Drug Facts" labeling, as described in 21 CFR 201.63. Combination OTC drug/cosmetic products must have combination OTC drug/cosmetic labeling. For example, the drug ingredients must be listed alphabetically as "Active Ingredients," followed by cosmetic ingredients, listed in order of predominance as "Inactive Ingredients."

But, I believe that saying a product is dermatologist tested and it isn't would be considered a form of false advertising.

"All natural", "hypoallergenic", these kind of claims that are made need to be inspected by the consumer. It's important to understand what's in the products you buy, but also to learn the true claims about it. There are a lot of things that are naturally derived and you wouldn't think it. But, on the other hand, there are a lot of natural products that can cause reactions or aren't good for you.

The FDA did try to regulate some of these claims, but it was overturned by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.

"However, cosmetics users who know they are allergic to certain ingredients can take steps to protect themselves. FDA regulations now require the ingredients used in cosmetics to be listed on the product label, so consumers can avoid substances that have caused them problems." -FDA Website-

Here is an article to read about claims of natural ingredients if you haven't done so already.

Wow.. ok and I have slept in my mineral makeup with no adverse effects. While I can't state that it's beneficial, I don't think it is harmful either, depending upon the ingredients. Just wash your face! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> A clear case of "do as I say, not as I do!"

I for one have never slept in my makeup. My skin is so oily it would be too gross. Not to mention I used to break out and im not trying to go thru that again. :rotfl:

Yes, they SAY you can sleep in it but I wouldn't recommend it. Especially to those with acne-prone skin, not worth it.

I've slept in my mineral makeup before without any bad experiences, but it's not something I'd do on a regular basis. Over time, I'd imagine anything on your face, "natural" or otherwise would clog your pores and create problems. Oil and sebum are natural too, but that doesn't mean they belong on your face!

I've slept in my EDM before and had no problems, infact the red patches on my jaws were less inflamed then usual. I wouldnt make it a habit though

According to the FDA, cosmetic companies DO NOT have to prove thier claims or the efficacy of thier products. The FDA does also not require safety documentation for cosmetics until AFTER the product has been brought to market and the FDA starts receiving complaints. What that means is that cosmetic compaines are allowed to say just about anything they want and the claims do not have to be true nor do they have to provide substantiated proof of thier claims. What is monitored is advertising claims. Unfortunately, the crack down by the FTC ususally takes place AFTER the add has run and AFTER numerous ppl have fallen prey to false and misleading information. The only part of the cosmetics industry that is strictly regulated is the ingredient list.

Here are terms NOT regulated by the FDA

All Natural-This denotes that the ingredients are plant derived or organic. Since this was overturned in court, companies can slap this label on anything. Many companies use this on products that clearly list unnatural ingredients. It also misleads consumers in believing that natural is better than synthetic. When a plant product is added to a product and is preserved, stabilized and mixed with other ingredients, it loses most, if not all of it's natural properties.

Hypoallergenic or Good for sensitive skin-There are no standard testing restrictions or regulations for determining whether a product qualifies for meeting this claim.

Alcohol-Free-This generally means that the product doesn't contain certain types of grain alcohol which are drying/irritating. However, the product may contain fatty alcohols, yet still state they are alcohol free.

Fragrance-Free-You would think this to mean that there are no perfume or fragrant ingredients added. Many products tho contain plant extracts that cause reactions/irritation. Extracts or plant oils may be added to cover up odors from raw materials in the product. This label can mean there is no noticeable aroma, but it can still contain these types of ingredients.

Noncomedogenic and Nonacnegenic-Almost all cosmetic ingredients can trigger breakouts for some ppl. Therefore, the claim is not only bogus, it can never really be true.

Dermatologist Tested- As long as there are no published data stating otherwise, all this wording can mean is that a doctor applied the product to his skin or watched someone else do it and said they liked the product. A similar phrase is dermatologist approved (Source: Food and Drug Administration Home Page)

Laboratory Tested-Often tests are engineered in advance to give the company precisely the results they are paid for.

Patented Secrets or Patented Ingredients-There is no way to get a patent unless you divulge the the complete contents of the product and it's intended use. Therefore, there is no secret! There are also no patents that deal with efficacy. It does not speak to the effectiveness of the ingredients, quality, reliability or usefullness.

As OceanMist stated-it is very important to educate yourself on ingredients so that when you purchase something you know what you are buying. The more ingredients the product contains, the more risk you take for irritation and breakouts. And I'm sure most of you ladies know that the farther down the list the ingredient is, the lesser the amount.

Hope this helps someone:)

WHile I do not make it a habit, with a new baby in the house I can totally confess to having fallen asleep wearing MMU... and my skin was fine.

If i sleep in normal make up, perhaps after a hard night out I will always break out the very next day so I tend to disagree that a pimple takes 2-4 weeks to form, when I can awake from my slumber with around 5 new spots. I'm hoping once I switch to MMU this wont happen, because there are times when I may fall asleep with my make up on.

I've slept in my MMU, and I have to say, that my skin was fine the next day, and also none had rubbed off on my pillow... Actually my skin looked fairly made up the next morning!

It's not something I'll do regularly, I like my evening cleansing routine, but if it happens, I know that my skin doesn't suffer from it!

Well, I do occasionally go to bed with my mmu/mu on (due to laziness, of course), and I don't think it's a good idea. It does get all over my pillow (can't sleep on my back) and I don't really think it could be good for your skin. I don't know, personal opinion.

I'm very bad, I know, but I sleep in my makeup frequently. When I used regular liquid foundation I slept in it very, very often. That was not good though, cuz it made me breakout like crazy. But with my old liquid, I'd breakout even if I didn't sleep in it.

Since I switched to MMU about a month ago, I sleep in my day's makeup 2-3 times a week. I haven't noticed any negative side effects. The other nights I wash my face and use Larenim Dusk 'Til Dawn. This product seems to draw out some of the gunk I have in my pores (blackheads) and makes my skin less oily the next day. I don't like their other products, but I do use this one.

Before MMU, I was developing rosacea (I'm Irish and it runs in my family). Now my skin is smooth as ever and never, never iritated even if I sleep in the the stuff. It's been like a miracle for me.

I sleep with my MMU a lot, but only because I get home at like 12:00am every night. My skin has actually been improving. I change pillow covers nightly so they don't look so dirty. When my schedule isin't so hectic, I will wash it off, but like I said before, I get no breakouts from sleeping in it.

Dang, some people need to take a chill pill.

I don't think I would ever sleep in my makeup, just cause I feel like I break out more when i'm using my MM. My skin doesn't like powders and foundations unless I stick to a strick cleansing regimen which isn't a big deal but i'm lazy.

Did you know that you can use baby wipes to take your makeup off?. when I dont feel like washing my face and I can lay in bed while i do it and then leave the wipe on your table beside your bed.

I use the unsented ones also

I'm allergic to baby wipes unfortunately. I have no idea what's in them, but any time I use them on my skin it gives me a rash.

However, I have thought about getting some of those wipes with facial cleanser on them. I just haven't taken my lazy butt out to do that. Well, really I just forget every time I go to the store.

I am guilty of sleeping in my makeup. Often.

I was blessed with my mother's wonderful skin. I try to remember to take off my makeup, but by the time I get my children to bed (they are 6, 4, and 3 1/2) it is all I can do to remember to lock the doors and set the alarm. There are nights I can't even remember getting to bed because I am so tired.

I used to keep the makeup removing wipes next to my bed just so I could wipe it all off before I hit the sack, and that was very useful. I need to move them back to my nightstand, but my 3 y/o thinks they are hers (she is as addicted to makeup as her mother!)

Latest posts

Back