Most Shocking Makeovers [TLC's What Not To Wear]

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
laurie_bef_vzoom.jpg

Laurie - Before

Laurie Pratt is a 39-year-old from Plymouth, Mass., who works at a landscaping company. She wears baggy clothes that make her look old and disheveled. Laurie also has a mullet she hasn't cut in 15 years. But Laurie's lack of style isn't just about a lack of interest in fashion. She loved to dress well in her twenties, but has spent the last eight years caring for her sick grandmother, who recently passed away.

laurie_aft_vzoom.jpg

Laurie - After

Clinton and Stacy show Laurie that you can be comfortable and still fashionable. For a casual, daytime look, they suggest tailored slacks and jeans that will show off the figure she's been hiding for so long. Clinton and Stacy introduce colors that will spice up her wardrobe, like bright reds and a subdued burgundy. For a more sophisticated nighttime style, Clinton and Stacy encourage Laurie to go with classic black but to incorporate small details, like shimmery fabrics.

Nick doesn't waste anytime cutting off Laurie's mullet. He adds texture to her hair by cutting short layers and takes years off her face by adding auburn color. Carmindy shows Laurie how to make her eyes really stand out by applying a smokey palette of shadows to Laurie's eyes. She uses a natural color blush to improve on Laurie's natural glow and adds classic red lipstick to make Laurie a knock-out.

kelly_bef_vzoom.jpg

Kelly: Before

Times and fashions have changed over the last 25 years, but Kelly has stayed the same. This mom's clothes, hair and makeup are all stuck in a time warp. In fantastic shape, Kelly hides her petite frame by wearing clothes that still have shoulder pads.

The person who faces the toughest challenge is hairstylist Nick Arrojo. Kelly spends a considerable amount of time and effort teasing, spraying and dyeing her "big hair" -- which she hasn't changed since the 1980s.

kelly_aft_vzoom.jpg

Kelly: After

Stacy and Clinton show Kelly how a layered look fits better and gives a longer, leaner line. Now, instead of getting height from big hair and platform shoes, Kelly gets it from the proportion of her clothing. Stacy and Clinton also remind Kelly that shoulder pads do not create height! They suggest rich, jewel-toned clothes, which are good for mature skin. Meanwhile, Kelly shops for delicate shoes to match her petite frame.

Makeup artist Carmindy gives Kelly a more modern look, which makes her look younger; she even shows Kelly how to paint in her overplucked eyebrows to make them look more natural. Hairstylist Nick Arrojo gives Kelly a shoulder-length layered cut with soft, long bangs. He lightens Kelly's roots to transform her into a natural-looking blonde bombshell.

ellyn_bef_vzoom.jpg

Ellyn: Before

New York music publicist Ellyn has lost over 120 pounds in two years, and now has a body she doesn't recognize. Ellyn struggles to dress her new shape in clothes that are appropriate, but she still feels more at home in comfortable, rather than flattering, styles. Ellyn has beautiful naturally curly red hair, however; her current style adds years to her face.

ellyn_aft_vzoom.jpg

Ellyn: After

Clinton and Stacy coach Ellyn to look for colors that will flatter her red hair, including soft pinks, browns and greens. Ellyn was used to hiding under her clothes. But now that she's lost weight, Clinton and Stacy encourage Ellyn to show off all her hard work. They suggest wearing form-fitting shells under tailored jackets and pinstriped trousers to give her length. Our style duo also instruct Ellyn to wear pumps for more height.

Carmindy shows Ellyn how to apply her makeup for a natural look. She applies blush to the apples of Ellyn's cheeks and along her cheekbones to accentuate her facial structure. To bring out Ellyn's eyes, Carmindy shows her a special trick: she applies eyeliner only halfway across the lid on both the upper and lower lid, then she smudges the liner with an angled brush. Nick completes Ellyn's new look by giving her a modern cut and adding layers to make her hair more manageable.

melissa_bef_vzoom.jpg

Melissa: Before

Melissa, an N.Y.P.D. officer, chooses to dress just like her twin when she's not walking her beat; problem is, her twin is her brother. She hides herself in oversized men's clothes and wears pants that are at least two sizes too big for her. Melissa has a huge collection of lumpy sweaters, and her hairstyle mostly consists of a ponytail.

See Melissa's Shocking Transformation:

melissa_aft_vzoom.jpg

Melissa: After

Stacy and Clinton lay down the law with Melissa and make her get rid of her oversized clothes. They instruct Melissa to wear women's clothing and to dress for success. Stacy and Clinton encourage Melissa to use colors different from her skin tone and to stay away from horizontal stripes on sweaters and shirts.

Stylist Nick Arrojo keeps Melissa in the blonde family but adds fine highlights to create dimension. Then he uses a razor to cut layers, giving Melissa a softer, more manageable style. Since Melissa's job requires her to always be on the run, Carmindy gives her tips on how to apply makeup quickly, including using lip gloss with a tint of color so that she is always shining and looking her best.

megan_bef_vzoom.jpg

Megan: Before

A talented musician, Megan has quite the following in her hometown of San Francisco. Unfortunately, she looks like she should be singing in coffee houses rather than packed concert halls. Megan is 20 years old and petite, her clothing choices, such as kids t-shirts, make her look even younger and she isn't always taken seriously. Megan's hair is overdue for a cut and the style has completely grown out, leaving her with long, straggly locks with her roots showing.

megan_aft_vzoom.jpg

Megan: After

Stacy and Clinton explain that a chiffon blouse with a bit of metallic can replace the "nouveau hippie" look of baby tees and braided jeans. Since Megan is short, Stacy and Clinton instruct her to look for straight leg, mid-rise jeans which will elongate her legs and give her more curves in her hips. Because Megan is a musician, she wants to keep some "funk" in her look. Stacy and Clinton show Megan how a punch of color goes a long way towards that goal. A colored shoe will dress up the lower half when wearing jeans for a gig and large or unique accessories such as a fun necklace will make an already fabulous outfit stand out.

Stylist Nick Arrojo razor layers Megan's bangs to create angles and dimensions and flat ironed her hair to give her a sleek new look. Carmindy provides the finishing touches by giving Megan tips on how to look fresh, even while on stage. Carmindy applys a white shimmer under Megan's eyebrows and on top of her cheekbones to complete the look.

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/bestof/mostshocking/gallery/milsti_bef_vzoom.jpg

Misti: Before

Thirty-year-old Misti has been into the punk and goth look since she was 15 years old and needs serious help getting out of it! Misti thinks her bright red lipstick, pale face and dyed black hair make her look cool, but her friends and family think she looks frightening. To add insult to injury, Misti is obsessed with one pair of platform-soled shoes — nicknamed "Frankenstein shoes." At this point, they're falling apart because she wears them with everything.

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/bestof/mostshocking/gallery/misti_gal_vzoom.jpg

Misti: After

Stacy and Clinton don't want Misti to go into shock from a drastic change, so they encourage her to trade out her black clothes for brown ones. For jeans, Misti is asked to try a high rise or medium rise for a long, lean look. She is forbidden from purchasing boot-cut jeans. For a work look, Stacy and Clinton have Misti try green and aqua colors to bring out the color in her eyes. For Misti's night-out look, Stacy and Clinton encourage her to wear a flaired skirt that doesn't go past the knees and instruct her to stay away from clunky shoes, which would truncate the look.

Nick Arrojo has to first cleanse Misti's hair to get rid of the dark black color she had been applying to her locks for years. Once that process is complete, Nick applies subtle honey-blonde highlights and cuts her hair into a razored choppy bob. Carmindy completes the transformation by using new techniques on Misti so that her makeup doesn't look so harsh. Carmindy allows Misti to keep her red lipstick. With her new wardrobe, hairstyle and makeup, this punk gets one slam-dunk of a makeover.

Source: TLC :: What Not to Wear :: Most Shocking Makeovers

The first makeover is amazing. You can't even tell it's the same person in the before and after shot!

The last one, I don't know... I mean she looks great after, but I don't think there was anything wrong with her before.

I love this show! I need Clinton and Stacey to come shopping with me. They can give me that $5000 bank card and pick out the right clothes for me...lol

hahahaha yeah! i just want the 5000 dollar card too :lol:

they're soo cool

i love this show, but, i dont have cable cause i never watch tv, im always here, lol so i told my husband no cable, but, i wish i could download the show to watch it T_T

i love it ! they definitely look so much better after (though for the last one, it's not as obvious, she looked good before too).

Thanks for posting! I looove this show. My favorite was Megan's, her hair looks amazing!

I watch this somtimes.....quite a diffrence it makes to a lot of these girls

Back