Your Hair Growing Tips?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im going to grow my hair to about bum length

What are your tips for keeping it as healthy as possible while I'm doing this? The bottom 2 or so inches is quite dry, because i'm growing out a perm.

Should I get it trimmed frequently?

I'm just interested in what you'd do to get your hair in the healthiest condition possible?

I think you should get it trimmed about every month or so. How long is your hair now?

I've always wanted to grow my hair out very long but I always end up cutting it when at my waist.

i say get it trimmed every 3 months, just cause if you avoid heat styling and dying your ends wont get to fried, and if you want to grow it you wont want to cut of everything you just grew.

also make sure you have a good hair stylist, one you trust cause a lot of people have situations when they are trying to grow there hair long where hte stylist cuts of more than they want.

i am also curently trying to gro my hair out it is about chin length and i want to get it to bra strap length

I am going to start taking Biotin - its Vitamin B7.

Apparently there are studies done that people with really brittle nails can benefit for Biotin. I am going to take 1000mcg starting July for one year. If I don't see any improvement, I'll have to think of something else.

I just started using coconut oil. My hair definately feels softer.

See thread "Pure Creamed Coconut".

God luck growing your hair - long hair is beautiful!

Mine is about 5 or so inches from my waist. The only problem I have with it is it's really hard to comb through when it is wet because it gets so snarly. The only thing I have found that works when I comb through it is Biolage products. I don't trim it as often as pepole say you should. If I do think I need a trim, I do it myself. I hate spending money to get a 1/4 inch cut off when I could've done a better job at home! Good luck and keep us posted!

1 thing that helped me was easing up on the heating tools. What I did was only style my hair on the weekend to go out. During the week at work it would always be up in a pony or bun. I would so treatments and use heavy conditioners during the week when I know I didnt have to style (and didnt care if they weighed down my hair).

I eat tons of protein, take a multivitamin, and just started taking GNC's Hair , Skin, and Nails Formula. My hair has come alongg way in the last yr!

i too am working on growing my hair out. its about shoulder length now and i want it much much longer. ive asked a few people and here are the things ive learned/heard

1. vitamins; mainly biotin or a hair, nails, skin vitamin. but definitely a vitamin with a good amount of biotin in it.

2. try avoiding heating tools

3. protein is good

4. get trims regularly [about every 3 months]

and last but not least someone suggested mane n tail shampoo & conditioner. not sure about this one but i figure im willing to try anything.

haha, hollyxann, I know how you feel! I'm up to try anything that will help it grow! I want it to be super healthy at that length! good luck for all you girls trying to grow it! I'll keep me posted and you keep me posted too, lol

You can also use products to help your roots - oils and that kind of stuff - people say that coconut oil is good, as well as jojoba oil and etc... Also there's people who say that silicone-based products don't work as well since they'd be only covering the damage instead of fixing them, but everything in life is a matter of trial and error

You can also search around the internet about specific long hair treatment

i have the same problem.. i dunno why but my hair doesn't want to grow past my bra straps maybe it's genetic but either way i've started taking better care of my hair so i won't have to trim it so often..you should use a mask once a week it does wonders especially if u heatstyle, use good quality conditioner and shampoo i use Fredric Fekai (sp?)..don't expose it to chlorine, use spf leave in conditioner when summer comes along etc.

yes, trim your hair frequently, every2-3 months. make sure you condition your hair, especially the ends that can get dry so easily. avoid any heating tools. try to brush your hair with a comb instead of a brush as it can damage the ends.

when i had hip-length hair(and while growing it out) i wore a lot of updo's to protect it. don't brush when wet, try to shampoo less frequently. no heat.

keep it moisturised with hair treatments etc and use as little heat on it as possible. coconut oil applied to the ends as a hot oil treatment works well for me. i've been trying to grow my hair out after cutting it into a bob - last week i got tired of waiting and got hair extensions, but they are soooo high maintenance i just wanna take them out. nothing beats real hair.

lol totally.. the bad thing is, you know those people who have long hair and everyone is like omg she needs to cut that it looks skankish! I dont want to be one of THOSE people... it's a fine line, ladies! a FINE LINE
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol totally.. the bad thing is, you know those people who have long hair and everyone is like omg she needs to cut that it looks skankish! I dont want to be one of THOSE people... it's a fine line, ladies! a FINE LINE
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
so have layers put into it too or something like that. maybe that will help de-skankafi the look. bc i know what you mean. definitely dont wanna do the "skank" look. lol.

Rosie, I am also in the quest to grow my hair out. My first goal is a solid waist length, which I am on track to achieve by the end of this year.

My ultimate goal is "classic length", which is mid-way distance between your head and the floor.

There is a nice forum that I like to lurk on called "LongHairCommunity.com".

You should really check it out. Those ladies (and gents) are really serious about their hair growth and some of them have achieved breath taking lengths of hair. It really is inspiring, you should go take a look over there!

Vitamins can promote healthy hair growth

Flaxseed oil

Silica

Zinc

Omega 3,6, & 9

These also help your skin and nails too.

Back