Sign in to follow this  
stephro123

The official brushes thread

You can get good synthetic brushes from Lumiere for about $16 for the flat top buffer-a good brush makes all the difference in application. I just got the new short handled buffer from Forever Female for $18.50.

I bought the one mentioned at CVS Pharmacy for $9.99 for a Kubuki. ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL brush!!!!!!!

Right now, my CVS has buy one and get one 1/2 off.

Brand name is ESSENCE OF BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!

Lumiere has my vote. Their brushes are super soft and retains their shape after a wash.smile.gif I've also found that they do not irritate my skin.

Currently the 2 tools I use consistently everyday are my MAC #187 Duo Fibre Brush for foundation and my MAC #188 Small Duo Fibre Brush for my blush/highlighter. I love, love these and use them for both my "traditional" foundations as well as my Mineral Makeup Fetish. They are pricey but so worth it, especially if you have sensitive skin and can't stand any harsh bristles that sometimes are the major downfall of those cheaper brushes. I use the bigger #187 to stipple on my foundation and it really allows me to lightly layer on my makeup so I can control coverage. I also use it for my powder as well if I need a less sheer coverage for those "rough†days. The smaller brush # 188, I use for my blushes, making sure to tap off excess and as always layering sheer layers for a natural look. I also use it if I use a highlighter over my cheekbones and brow bone.

Heather

Forever Female Long Handle Ultimate Flat Top (synthetic)!! It is awesome. Great coverage and super, super soft. I stopped using my kabuki for this brush. rockwoot.gif

I've been enjoying the flat top and the kabuki brush, both synthetic, from U Glo Girl. Very soft and the foundation goes on nice.

Cat

Based on the glowing reviews in this thread (and others) I just ordered both the long and short handle Forever Female flattop (+ the kabuki)

Wish I had them yesterday and thanks to everybody for the enlightenment :-)

Whenever I was my brush, it's like the MMU sinks into the depths of the bristles, and I have to use twice as much for it to even cover my face. It's like there's nothing on the brush. Yet, if I don't wash it, it seems to want to "mat" up on me. So, on one hand it's softer and nice when washed, yet on the other hand it's like it doesn't pick up color well once it's been washed. Anyone else have this problem with the MAC 182? Or even kabukis in general?

Aquilah, I don't have the MAC 182 but because it is natual hairs it will suck up more product than synthetic. I used to use the EDM premium kabuki and it really matted up quick after washing too. I currently use the Lumiere synthetic kabuki and it is great. You don't get the matted thing happening at all and it is very soft.

I agree. My Aubrey Nicole kabuki distributes the MMU evenly. It is synthetic (same as Lumiere). My kabuki never matted up.

I try to stay away from natural brushes. I am allergic to animal hair. I can't comment on why your natural kabuki is doing that. I have read that natural does "grab" alot more product than synthetic.

I'm sorry you're having problems with it. If you are looking for a replacement, I would highly recommend synthetic brushes. They are awesome! You could look at Forever Female, Lumiere and Aubrey Nicole.

I do like my brush, so don't get me wrong there. I just wanted to know if I'm the only one having this issue or not. There is a brush I have my eye on, but I need my friend to CP it for me since I don't have the store that carries it here.

I have the 182 and it happens to me as well, that's why I don't use it much anymore. Waste of $45 since I don't get to use it. I prefer to use my Lumiere synthetic kabuki.

Originally Posted by katnahat View Post
Forever Female Long Handle Ultimate Flat Top (synthetic)!! It is awesome. Great coverage and super, super soft. I stopped using my kabuki for this brush. rockwoot.gif
I second the FF Flat top and also love the Lumiere kabuki and baby buki. My favorite of the 3 is the FF flat top.

I don't think mine is doing that. But, then again the 182 is the only kabuki I have ever used for mmu so far. I just do serious buffing and I seem to get decent coverage.

I am experiencing this same problem. I washed my 182 brush for the first time this weekend w/ Mac's brush cleaner. The bristles are not as tight as they were before, if that makes any sense. It seems like I am doubling the mineral make up now, because I am not getting as much I the bristles. I'm dissapointed because I really loved the brush prior to washing it.

I have both the lumiere kabuki and lumiere flat top and lately i've been using the flat top more. I think it gives better coverage. I just wish it was bigger. I might give in and buy the forever female one or something, but I LOVE the coverage it gives me. I look flawless, and I find the brush to stay in place when I put my MMU on, the kabuki seems to 'sway' back and forth too much when buffing it in. Thats another thing too, I hardly buff at all, if not just sweep the foundation across my face. I love it. I wish lumiere would come out with a bigger version cause I love the way lumiere brushes look, and I like my brushes to match.

Basically, im just praising my flat top. who else loves their flat top more than their kabuki???

Does anybody have the long handled kabuki that can give me a review of how it compares to the regular kabuki/flat top??

I have Lumiere's kabuki (short handle) and baby buki as well as the Forever Female flat top brush. While I love all 3, my favorite is definitely the FF flat top. I like the coverage of the flat top a little better than the kabuki. I use the flat top for foundation, kabuki for finishing powder and the MAC skunk brush for bronzer.

I tried the flat top from Monave and it was hard on my skin. The FF is soft and non-irritating to my skin.

I think the synthetic brushes are better for me. I just checked the FF site. The price of the brush is $18.50. I paid for expedited shipping so the total including shipping and tax was $24.50. I've ordered brushes that were more expensive and weren't as good. Someone had recommended the FF brushes to me. Since I wanted the flat top, I tried it. I have the brushes I need for now but in the future will look at FF or Lumiere for their synthetic brushes. The quality is good for both and they don't irritate my sensitive skin.

I have Lumiere's flat top and Uglogirl flat top (supposedly the same as FF long handled flat top). I agree with you I like the way Lumiere's Flat Top brush staying in place. The Uglogirl's brush kind of splay out. I usually use the Uglogirl's brush though because the brush is wider than Lumiere's. Definitely wish Lumiere comes out with wider flat top brush.

I love my FF flat top (long handle). It's the only brush I use now. I've put my kabuki away in the closet! rotfl.gif

It does spread a bit, but that doesn't hurt it's performance. It gives fabulous coverage.

I would highly recommend the FF flat top (long handle). smile.gif

Originally Posted by mauwong View Post
I have Lumiere's flat top and Uglogirl flat top (supposedly the same as FF long handled flat top). I agree with you I like the way Lumiere's Flat Top brush staying in place. The Uglogirl's brush kind of splay out. I usually use the Uglogirl's brush though because the brush is wider than Lumiere's. Definitely wish Lumiere comes out with wider flat top brush.
i thought i was alone on this! i hate the way my kabuki changes shape so easily.