The official brushes thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Sephora fiber optic brush that I love, getting the MAC 182 soon
smile.gif

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that for my Monave foundation, I use the Monave flat-top brush and it gives a very good but natural coverage!

Periwinke I bought the Lumiere kabuki brush and I love it. It is better for putting on MMU than my smashbox 19. It is soft, and it picks up the right amount of mineralsl. I hasn't shed yet, I am very happy with it. For 12 bucks, its worth a try, huh?

Has anyone found a really good retractable powder brush? I really like the idea that I can put it in a bag and not have a damaged brush at the end of the day. I've heard that natural bristles are generally better with mineral makeup; true, false, opinions? Any nice retractable brushes for a good price? I found a retractable kabuki and retractable regular powder brush from Bare Makeup, but they're quite pricey. Worth paying for, or no?

Thanks!

My favorite, hands down, is my Premium Kabuki from EDM. It is REALLY soft and is great for apply MMU (EDM) to my sensitive skin. I got mine in the starter kit I ordered from EDM so it was a really great buy!

I am using the EDM Premium kabuki brush - it feels really soft and fluffy but sheds
frown.gif

I want to get either the Lumiere flat top or kabuki... and can't decide which one ...

Could someone please explain the difference between using a Flat top and a kabuki? Which is better and why?

Kabukis are adorable...but not retractable. Except the $35 one from Bare Makeup, but that's 35 dollars. Dang, there has to be a less expensive but still good-quality retractable brush out there!

Lilita,

The flat top brush is very dense. I think that I have better coverage than with the kabuki. It's like placing a rubberband around your kabuki.

Have you checked out Lumiere pre-buy brushes. I bought my daughter the flat-top for $8.00. Great buy on brushes right now. For that price, it's worth a try. Plus, I didn't have to pay for shipping!

lilita, I have the same problem with my EDM premium kabuki. Sheds all the time. Even when I emailed EDM and they sent me a new one, that one shedded even more than my first one. Besides that, the brush is great though. Very soft and provides good coverage.

I have used a flat top brush before and it gives a heavier coverage. I prefer the kabuki.

Thanks for your replies! I think I want to get a flat-top!

OH but can I wait 2 months for Lumiere's pre-buy brushes to arrive? I want them now!
fuercht.gif

The pre-buy brushes from Lumiere are all synthetic, though, aren't they? Does that actually matter, or does natural vs. synthetic hair not really make a difference?

Originally Posted by applesaucery /img/forum/go_quote.gif The pre-buy brushes from Lumiere are all synthetic, though, aren't they? Does that actually matter, or does natural vs. synthetic hair not really make a difference? I haven't tried any of the synthetic brushes, but there seems to be enough positive reviews on them. I bought brushes for two of my daughters plus a long handle kabuki for me. For that price, all 3 of us will get an early Easter present.

I've been using the Lumiere Kabuki for about a week now, and count me in as one of its fans! It feels like silk, soooo soft, with great coverage and hasn't shed yet!

Nemo
eusa_whistle.gif

Back