The official brushes thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maryfitz24, do u prefer this brush to the kabuki?how do u apply your minerals?do u buff it in or just sweep it once?how's the coverage?thanks and sorry soo many questions..lol!

I've decided that I like to use a flat top brush for my mineral makeup application. I have one from Meow cosmetics. I liked it, at first, but it sheds like crazy. I can't really find many just looking online. I also think that a synthetic might be better, just because the synthetic kabuki from Lumiere is so good.

What do you think?

Originally Posted by missG /img/forum/go_quote.gif thank, Gina..will wait for your post..some girls here say hey like to use MAC 182, just wanted to know if it's the same...cheers! I have the Mac 101, its a big fluffy powder brush. I would not recommend it, I think there are better brushes for mineral makeup and I am looking for something better.

Originally Posted by missG /img/forum/go_quote.gif maryfitz24, do u prefer this brush to the kabuki?how do u apply your minerals?do u buff it in or just sweep it once?how's the coverage?thanks and sorry soo many questions..lol! Hi MissG. Sorry, just got your post. I used the kabuki for most of the minerals I tried. When I started using Monave, the flat top was recommended. I have since moved on to Lumiere and continue using the flat top.
With the flat top, I swirl and tap off excess just like the kabuki. However, when I apply the minerals (either wet or dry but usually dry), I just sweep it onto my skin. I got that recommendation from Periwinkle sky. For whatever reason, just sweeping it on, my skin looks better. It doesn't look as cakey and looks more natural on me.

That's not to say the kabuki isn't a good brush to use. I just prefer the flat top. I feel as though I have more control of the coverage. I am less likely to overdue on the minerals when I use the flat top.

As for how much, I sometimes use 1 layer other times 2 layers. It depends on what my skin looks like that day. Lately, it's been pretty good (no breakouts) so I use 1 layer. I do not buff at all.

The coverage is medium (I would say) but looks natural. I don't think you will go wrong with using either the flat top or the kabuki. It's all a matter of preference.

Good luck. I hope I answered your questions. Let me know if you want further information.

Originally Posted by Christy123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've decided that I like to use a flat top brush for my mineral makeup application. I have one from Meow cosmetics. I liked it, at first, but it sheds like crazy. I can't really find many just looking online. I also think that a synthetic might be better, just because the synthetic kabuki from Lumiere is so good. What do you think?

I use a flat top brush from Monave minerals. I'm not sure if it's the best...it is the only one I've tried. I like it though. No shedding either.....

I have a badger flat top. It sheds a tiny bit. Can't help you with the synthetic. I've ordered several synthetic brushes from Lumiere, the flat top being one of them, but they won't be here for a while. I like my current flat top though.

The flat top is a more dense brush, I think the coverage is better. I do have the BE baby buki and that is also a dense brush. I put that one aside when I got my flat top. I use my kabuki for my mineral veil. Just personal preference.

i bought one from coastal scents and its the only one i ever tried so far,its great for mmu application,and NO shedding @ all,love it

Originally Posted by blondie36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif i bought one from coastal scents and its the only one i ever tried so far,its great for mmu application,and NO shedding @ all,love it forgot to add,the coverage is better than a kabuki ,i had several different kabuki`s and none of them worked like a flat top brush,hope that helps
smile.gif

Originally Posted by maryfitz24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've used both the kabuki and flat top brush to apply my minerals. I like the flat top a little better. I like the coverage and the "no buffing". I still use the kabuki at times but much prefer the flat top brush for foundation. For finishing powder, I use MAC 187. same here
smile.gif
i also use flat top brush for foundation and 187 for the finishing powder
smile.gif

I would really like to try a good flat top.

It's recommended my Meow, which is the brand I use.

Many of them are just so expensive, and I don't want one of crappy quality. xD

Originally Posted by blondie36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif forgot to add,the coverage is better than a kabuki ,i had several different kabuki`s and none of them worked like a flat top brush,hope that helps
smile.gif
6.gif
iagree.gif

Originally Posted by gina2328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have the Mac 101, its a big fluffy powder brush. I would not recommend it, I think there are better brushes for mineral makeup and I am looking for something better. thanks for the info, Gina...will check it out next time i go to MAC..cheers!

Originally Posted by maryfitz24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi MissG. Sorry, just got your post. I used the kabuki for most of the minerals I tried. When I started using Monave, the flat top was recommended. I have since moved on to Lumiere and continue using the flat top.
With the flat top, I swirl and tap off excess just like the kabuki. However, when I apply the minerals (either wet or dry but usually dry), I just sweep it onto my skin. I got that recommendation from Periwinkle sky. For whatever reason, just sweeping it on, my skin looks better. It doesn't look as cakey and looks more natural on me.

That's not to say the kabuki isn't a good brush to use. I just prefer the flat top. I feel as though I have more control of the coverage. I am less likely to overdue on the minerals when I use the flat top.

As for how much, I sometimes use 1 layer other times 2 layers. It depends on what my skin looks like that day. Lately, it's been pretty good (no breakouts) so I use 1 layer. I do not buff at all.

The coverage is medium (I would say) but looks natural. I don't think you will go wrong with using either the flat top or the kabuki. It's all a matter of preference.

Good luck. I hope I answered your questions. Let me know if you want further information.

wow!that's a very detailed info, your description is great...i'm waiting for my Monave samples to arrive, and to what i heard, most ladies prefer applying it with the flat top brush, it doesn't look cakey or settle into the fine lines..i only have my kabuki from EDM, and it sheds like CRAZY!!i couldn't decide whether to get the flat top brush or the synthetic brush from Lumiere (no idea which other company makes synthetic ones) cause the kabuki i have seems to react with my sensitive skin...itchy2
scared.gif

and since i live on the other side of the world, still searching for the cheapest flat top brush that i can order, i do need the medium to full coverage...anyway, thanks so much for your help, i'm keeping a copy of it, so i'll know what to do when i do get the brush
laughing.gif

which other company make synthetic flat top brushes?i can't use natural ones, makes me itch and develop small rashes...am looking at other options besides Lumiere..anyone can help?

I read somewhere that the Philosopy flat top brush is great, smaller than most but really soft and synthetic.. has anyone tried this?

I am waiting (impatiently) for my Lumiere Flat top to arrive ... in the meantime am using a cheapie one which doesn't feel very soft.

Lilita-

Love the new avatar. You look so lovely in it. You really look good in turquoise colored top. I am awaiting my preorder brushes from Lumiere. Lately I've been using the BE heavenly face brush. It's pretty soft but kind of big for a flat top. BTW, I got some other foundation colors in Lumiere and notice that the colors that aren't golden are lighter. So light-medium neutral is way lighter than light-medium golden. I am thinking for summer I will try medium warm because the medium golden seems a bit more olivey than the light-medium. I tried light-medium warm and could probably wear that too but I think the golden just looks a bit better.

Hoozey - thank you!
smile.gif
It's actually a bright green dress - Funny that it shows up as turquoise in the photo.

I actually received my Medium Golden and Light Medium golden samples in the mail yesterday and I agree with you the LM golden looks darker than the LM Warm (even though they are both supposed to be the same "depth"). But on its own I think the LM Golden is still a bit pale on me.

The Medium Golden is definitely Olivey.. but when I mix it with the LM warm it works out nicely because the "peach" gives a nice warmth. (I'll have to do the half-face test again with my BF tonight - he thinks I'm nuts what with all this foundation shade testing
biggrin.gif
) So yes, I think Medium Warm + LM Golden will probably be a nicer less olivey mix.

EDIT/UPDATE: The BF chose "LMGolden" (over "Med Golden +LM Warm") I guess I trust him because he sees me without makeup on more often than anyone else.

I bought a face secrets powder brush from Sally's today because it has a flat top.I washed it with Paul Mitchell shampoo and now the brush smells like paint thinner! Has this happened to anyone before?
scared.gif

Back