The official brushes thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jane Iredale has a nice flat top, The Handi. If you use minerals daily, it's worth the investment. The brushe will last many years. Retail $39, eBay $23-$25 +S/h.

handi.jpg

A good flat top brush presses the minerals into the skin with very little effort. They give great coverage. I like the JI Handi Brush.

I trimmed both my buki brushes yesterday...will see if that was a mistake or not.lol MayFan.....your taste in music is awesome!
rockwoot.gif
I love Queen...(off topic I know)

BE has a soft flat top brush called the Heavenly Powder brush. Also there's a flat top Heavenly Blush brush, which I have, but not the powder brush because I like the Handy Buki well enough. I know both these brushes are not as dense as a kabuki, and they are reported to offer a lighter coverage some women prefer.

I really like the Philosopy Airbrush flat top brush. It was $ 25 at Sephora. The head is a bit small so it takes an extra minute to apply the MMU but it is worth it. The brush gives an airbrush effect. I think it is much better than the two kabuki's I have, the EDM Premium and Lumiere synthetic.

Originally Posted by farris2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I trimmed both my buki brushes yesterday...will see if that was a mistake or not.lol MayFan.....your taste in music is awesome!
rockwoot.gif
I love Queen...(off topic I know) Let us know if you like the flat top version better! I'm thinking of trying a flat top too!

Hey guys!

I bought a MAC kabuki brush a few weeks ago to go with all my new mineral makeup. It seems great at first, but quickly started shedding. I would end up with hairs all down my top after putting on my makeup in the morning. Anyway....after several weeks of this, I returned it to the MAC counter.

The new brush I got does the same thing.
frown.gif
Mind you...I have only used it twice so far, and washed it twice, so I still have to wait a while before I can say for sure if it's a cronic shedder. Hehehe. Is this normal though? I mean...I have heard of brushes shedding a little in the begining, but this is ridiculous. For some reason, all the brushes I buy from MAC have been great...except their blush brushes and kabuki brushes. Anyone else notice this? Will it stop, or am I going to be covered with hairs everytime I do my makeup?

hmm, I'm not sure about other people who use the 182 brush, but mine hasn't shed since first couple of times.

My MAC kabuki sheds as well. It doesn't shed as much if I apply minerals dry. When I apply them wet, forget it......sheds like mad!

I have since started using a flat top brush and applying my minerals dry. No shedding....Also, I use the MAC 187? (skunk brush) to apply my finishing powder.....no shedding.

i think all brushes shed, it doesnt matter the brand. Im sure some brushes dont shed but most do!

Yeah I've had the same problem with the Mac powder brush and the 182
frown.gif
. Every other brush is fine though.

What brush do you guys use to apply your MMU? I have a very large Kabuki that I think will be too large to apply MMU foundation, without getting it everywhere. Would a smaller Kabuki work? Lumiere has a Kabuki for $12.00. Think that would work?

I use a flat top brush from Monave to apply my Lumiere minerals. For the finishing powder, I use the MAC skunk brush (I think it's 187).

Thais said in a previous post that hers sheds for a while after she first washes it, then it quits. Once she washes it again, it's back to shedding. I just got mine, but when I washed it, I didn't have any shedding at all. Still gotta use it though LOL!

I was planning on getting the MAC 182 but considering the price, I got a BE kabuki instead on Ebay for much cheaper, which works fine so far and hasn't shedded much. Every brush is different, some just shed more than others.

I love BE's Handy Buki Brush, I've tried the Simply Flawless Brush but the Handy Buki Brush is the best. It's a smaller version of the kabuki, but with a longer handle.

Latest posts

Back