Bad Experience At Cosmetic Stores?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you have had at least one experience at the counters.

This is your thread to post your story. So post!

I find the MAs at MAC in Sydney City Myer only come and speak to me if I'm trying their stuff and only 'looking' that day - if I want to buy I have to chase them around the store, even if there is no one else there!

OMG I was there yesterday wanting to buy a lipstick.. I had to stare at the assistant to get her attention... the assistant looked like she really didn't want to help me.. couldn't even suggest a right colour for me.. I had to do all the work myself... And the day before I was just looking and I got help right away... But I just wanted her to go away.. haha

I noticed I never quite get help in general. I look really young, so people assume when I'm with one of my friends, I'm like with my babysitter or mother.. I swear! hahaha.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif haha, SEE! they're weird in that store.
Try DJ's - they're much nicer!

I don't go to DJ's much for some reason.. I really should go there.. I guess because I like being near pitt st, though DJ isn't that far. I think it because I have a myerone card lol..

The MAC staff at the Dadeland Mall Macy's suck! It's almost like they PURPOSELY avoid you! When I want something from MAC I usually drive the extra 20 minutes to the South Beach Pro store. The people there are MUCH nicer... which is weird 'cause I thought that since they work in "the beach" (oooh...ahhhh..) and theirs is a "pro" store, they would be snobby... but thankfully, that's not the case.

i love sephora, but somehow i always feel like i don't belong. like everyone is snooty. it makes me wonder how other people see me. i try to smile and be pleasant, but nothing. it's like they think i won't buy anything so why bother. the only time this doesn't happen is when they have "shades of beauty" events. that's why i pretty much buy my products online.

I was in male mode at a Revlon counter in Myer at Roseland's. Anyway it was quiet in the store and I was there looking for a good 5 mins looking at the products. The girl who was on the counter was too busy chatting up male employee (you can tell it wasn't work) and totally ignored me. I eventually walked out.

Oh, yeah, some MU counter girls are really snotty! I rarely ever shop them counters anyway, for that reason. They act all superior or something because they sell makeup... So the F what? We don't have a MAC or Sephora, so you have to go in the department stores like Dillards to get MU, except at Ulta. I love that store, but I had to put one beyatch in her place one day. First, she was snotty to my mom when she was asked for help. Then my daughter was standing beside me while I was looking at the Urban Decay makeup, not touching anything. I guess she assumed all kids want to play in the makeup and her presence would intimidate Ciera (she is 4!) so she pushed her way between my daughter and the display, bumping her, pretended she was tending to the testers and saying NOTHING to either of us! Then the G in me had to come out... I said, "if you need to get here, you need to wait till I am finished, because if you ever bump my baby again, I am bumping YOU." Then she acted all suprised, like she had no idea what I was talking about and apologized, so I let it go. I was too hot though!

maybe over 10 years ago i tried to get something at the closest-to-me-at-the-time mac counter, and i remember making exactly 3 different trips to this mall 30 minutes and heavy traffic from me. each time the makeup artists at that mac counter would either look at me, then disappear.....look at me, go help someone else.....look at me, pick up the phone.....see me out of the corner of their eye, bend down under the counter to get something (for 10 minutes?)....or just not look over my way at all because there were two of them that needed to talk to each other rather than sell something to me

lol, i am not kidding!! so i ended up at the estee lauder and elizabeth arden counters back then instead.

i now have a mac counter that opened 2 years ago only 10 minutes from my house and they are all so nice there
smile.gif

You guys should say, "B*tch, you don't own the company, you just work here!"

I never go to counters, but if I was being treated badly, I would probably say that before I punch them in the face lol.

My worst makeup counter experience...

I was browsing and noticed that Elizabeth Arden had a GWP, so I was scoping out the counter. The lady working there offered to give me a free makeover, and I said I was interested in trying out some new products so I agreed. First she wanted to show me a sheer foundation they were selling. I mentioned I was already wearing foundation, but she said she would put a bit on. After she put that on and showed me she insisted on putting on their new full coverage foundation so she layered that on top. I was wearing a pink shirt, so she insisted on putting on really bright pink make up. I commented to her that I wanted to try a neutral eye shadow, but instead she put on pink. She also put on a really matte pink lipstick that I really didn't want on. Topped off was a super pink blush.

I ended up looking like a pink clown who had layers of make up caked on. That's when I decided to spare any hurt feelings and just outright say when you don't like something.

I don't like the Sephora in Walnut Creek - those people hardly acknowledge you. I like the one in San Francisco's Powell... they always had people asking if you need help and would recommend stuff. The one in WC - I always had to track someone down and no one had a smile in their face. I think my best friend was saying how last time, one of them of was being rude to her.

I HATE the MAC counter at Antioch's Macys. Omg, never again. I put 2 complaints into that store because their customer services suck major ass. I go there if I'm at the mall and bored and look around. The same freakin' people work there all the time - there could be 2 folks and no customers... none. I walk by and no one acknowledges me. They probably read my damn rants on here about them - but whatever, it pisses me off I can't even get a "hello".

The MAC Pro store in San Francisco has the best staff ever, though. Really chill people - I'mma assume because they don't get extremely busy like freestanding stores and counters, since it looks a bit hidden? Dunno. But I've always liked the people there - they were always so happy. Ha. MAC in Nordstrom, Walnut Creek and Concord are cool too. I don't like this one guy in Concord's MAC - he is so snotty. I dunno wth is wrong with him.

the macy's in bellevue, wa.

like not just the mu counters but all the counters on the first floor.

its like you have to scream and wave your hands in the air till someone tends to you.

Merle Norman!

I went after lunch with a good friend of mine from Guatemala. She's a makeup artist and loves to work with certain lines exclusively. Well for reasons only she can say Merle Norman is one such line.

First of all we were scheduled for makeovers.

My friend and I are similar in coloring and the Merle N makeup artist - and I use the term artist loosely obviously had no clue what to do with anyone with Latin or tanned skin. She used all sickly blues and grays on my friend and pale very cool frosty pinks on her lips. On me she used greens and yellows - they work but unfortunately they were too light for my complexion and didn't show up. she also used pale pink lipstick on my lips and a nude liner that was lighter than my lips. It was truly a makeunder but so unflattering that when she was finished I took the brushes and added more color to my face so that I could see at least something on my face before I walked back into the streets to face the world. She then rudely said to me, "I see you're not afraid of that eyeshadow!" I responded to her "Nope, I'm not afraid of much!" She then scowled at me the entire time and asked us what were we going to buy. Believe me I spend a lot of money on makeup and would never idly waste her time. I planned on buying a few compacts of lip colors and eyeshadows right then - none that she used - just a few that I loved the look of. She then told my friend a few insulting things about her skin and after finally T'ng both of us off enough - we left having purchased not one thing and returned the next day to give our sales to another sales clerk

she had rudely informed us that if we wanted to buy anything to buy it now as she was off in 2 hours and wouldn't be back. We took her advice and came back the next day and loaded up on makeup giving the comission to her coworker.

we dont really have the counters in holland

Its more a cosmetics store where you can buy make-up perfume etc

most of the I dont have a problem with, one of the stores called douglas they have the most arrogant beyatches in the worls....

They dont help you, they just stand around, if they do help you its half work

they just ignore you. stupid snobs

i think to myself everytime I go there, if this @#$$ would know how much money I have on me to buy make-up or perfume they would probably be kissing my ass right know

One of the make-up artists there, he is male and guy is very very nice, so if i want to know something about make-up i go to him

but otherwise i go to their concurrent

when ever i shop for makeup at nordstroms i have to ask for help. which is anoying because that is where i buy my foundation

they are just always rediculously under staffed there

Back