Bad Experience At Cosmetic Stores?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey i m in san francisco tooo yay ..so which pro store did you go to I am assuming the one on union st ? I went their too last week but they were closing in like 10-15 mins and I walked in so only 2 ppl were working actually just one and she had to another one for me lol ..... but somehow I felt like they didn't have everything I dunno i felt like alot of stuff was missing or maybe its just me... I usually go to counters maybe thats why lol..

Humeria

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't like the Sephora in Walnut Creek - those people hardly acknowledge you. I like the one in San Francisco's Powell... they always had people asking if you need help and would recommend stuff. The one in WC - I always had to track someone down and no one had a smile in their face. I think my best friend was saying how last time, one of them of was being rude to her.
I HATE the MAC counter at Antioch's Macys. Omg, never again. I put 2 complaints into that store because their customer services suck major ass. I go there if I'm at the mall and bored and look around. The same freakin' people work there all the time - there could be 2 folks and no customers... none. I walk by and no one acknowledges me. They probably read my damn rants on here about them - but whatever, it pisses me off I can't even get a "hello".

The MAC Pro store in San Francisco has the best staff ever, though. Really chill people - I'mma assume because they don't get extremely busy like freestanding stores and counters, since it looks a bit hidden? Dunno. But I've always liked the people there - they were always so happy. Ha. MAC in Nordstrom, Walnut Creek and Concord are cool too. I don't like this one guy in Concord's MAC - he is so snotty. I dunno wth is wrong with him.

For some reason I always go makeup shopping when I'm wearing hardly any makeup, or none at all. I feel super self-conscious and always feel like I get bad or no service at makeup counters when I look like this. On the contrary, when I'm all made up and just browsing, I get asked if I need help dozens of times.

I blogged this during Christmas time 2006. It resonated so much with me that I kept it.

__________________________________________________ _

Title: Estee Lauder girl got all sorts of stank with me...

Merry Christmas... dang!

I was browsing and keeping to myself when I was at the Estee Lauder's counter at Stonestown Macys. I wasn't even touching anything, but I was quietly admiring to myself the fabulousness of the free gift with a $25 purchase give away. I swear, Estee Lauder has the best complementary gifts! How fabulous is a 12 color palette of eye shadow, a full-sized lip liner, lipstick and mascara, AND a green faux crocodile makeup case? Really... how fabulous is that! I'm not a big makeup person, but I can appreciate that. Anyway… back to the story. I was looking at things I could possibly buy to get that free gift… mind you I wasn't touching anything.

"Hmmm… would my cousin like that perfume? Shoot… maybe I should get it for myself?"

Then the sales rep says to me all stank and sh*t, "Can I help you?" As if I was an inconvenience to her.

Eww… WTF, right?! So I tell her "no" throwing the same stank right back at her. Then I decide to take this a little further.

As she turns away to continue her conversation with her co-worker and I interrupt her with…

"You know what… I do have a question. What is the difference between these two bottles?"

Then she gives me the crap of an answer and I dismiss her with a condescending "Oh!" and a wicked eye roll.

She carries on with her conversation and after a few seconds she notices I'm still there looking at the perfumes. She stops her conversation and asks me, "Can I help you with anything else [b*tch]?!"

She really didn't say b*tch, but she might as well have with that tone of voice.

I said, "No!" and gave her an eye roll so obvious and extreme that I nearly loss my inner balance and fell back. Needless to say, I didn't buy anything from that ugly hag, and maybe it's a good thing because it was obvious that she needed the cosmetics more than I did.

Merry ****** Christmas, you wench!

I've never bought cosmetics from any of the places you speak of. I could never afford to spend that much money on makeup. Prices are crazy, you just pay for fancy packaging and advertising. I sell my own mineral makeup now and I know how much these companies pay for it! Thats why I started selling it so all can afford great makeup. We have a MAC counter here in Syracuse NY and I know some of the girls there, they are nice and helpful. I've gone snooping at MAC just to see what they have. I try to keep up with similar colors they have. Alot of girl around here like MAC. I have some of these girls hooked to my minerals now, specially for my price! I stock over 100 eye colors I can't keep track sometimes...lol.

Originally Posted by Humeira /img/forum/go_quote.gif hey i m in san francisco tooo yay ..so which pro store did you go to I am assuming the one on union st ? I went their too last week but they were closing in like 10-15 mins and I walked in so only 2 ppl were working actually just one and she had to another one for me lol ..... but somehow I felt like they didn't have everything I dunno i felt like alot of stuff was missing or maybe its just me... I usually go to counters maybe thats why lol..
Humeria

There's only 1 Pro store in San Francisco, or Northern California for that fact. Everything else are freestanding or counters. And yeah, it looks like they don't have much compared to counters and stuff. But they do, when you look through the stuff. Haha. I think because they stuff everything in like 3 little tables, and the place is so ridiculously small. Lol.

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't like this one guy in Concord's MAC - he is so snotty. I dunno wth is wrong with him.

OMG I think I know who you're talking about...I went there to exchange some empty MAC pots for a free lipstick and when he was ringing me up he looked at the lipstick I picked and muttered and chuckled under his breath " oh and your free lipstick, haha." Like, okay, sometimes they purposely make people feel bad for getting free stuff even though it's part of their company's back2mac program. Whatever...when I go there I always go to this one Asian girl whose super nice.

Well today the one MUA ignored me today... I guess she didn't like the fact that my best friend (guy) cut her "sales pitch" short... Poor thing...

I went into Ulta for a BE event a few months back. I signed up for an appointment and there were plenty of available slots after and before me. While waiting - as no one was there, my friend asked the MUA about the event and if she was the one actually doing the makeover.

This woman actually told us that to participate in anything you had to first buy 3 BE products! Everything in the literature and on the signs said free...

When that was politely mentioned to her she simply said < "Well BE wants you to buy at least 3 things before you get a makeover"

Oh I do remember once. The first time I went to a Mac counter, I tried on a gloss I wanted to buy and wiped it off w/ a tissue to try another color. She offered to take the tissue and I thought it was gross so I asked her "Are u sure?" I could have kept it and thrown it out myself. She said yes and had to try hard not to roll her eyes. Whatever. I offered.

Originally Posted by la_chinita /img/forum/go_quote.gif OMG I think I know who you're talking about...I went there to exchange some empty MAC pots for a free lipstick and when he was ringing me up he looked at the lipstick I picked and muttered and chuckled under his breath " oh and your free lipstick, haha." Like, okay, sometimes they purposely make people feel bad for getting free stuff even though it's part of their company's back2mac program. Whatever...when I go there I always go to this one Asian girl whose super nice. Is it Sophia? Because I effin' love her so much. Me and her chatted for like an hour straight... and she still helped other folks! I love how she was attentive to all our needs. I haven't gone there in ages so I haven't seen her.
There are 2 guys that usually work there. One brunette dude and one with pink hair - it's been awhile, so I dunno if there's more or their looks changed. The brunette dude use to be rude too but one day he randomly asked if I wanted to work for them and stuff. He's decent. The other one is snobby as hell. I think he works for Macy*s MAC across the way though.

One time, I so remember this - I walked in by myself wanting to buy something and he never acknowledge me and some older lady walked in after me and he greeted her like crazy and if she needed help. I was hella bummed.

Rosie & Neeky - I'm with you! I truly wonder how some of these girls actually get their jobs.. half the time their knowledge of the product isn't always up to scratch and some of their make up skills are somewhat to be desired.. So true though, they'll want to help you when you really don't want help, but as soon as you need their assistance, you may as well be on a deserted island, they're nowhere to be seen!

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is it Sophia? Because I effin' love her so much. Me and her chatted for like an hour straight... and she still helped other folks! I love how she was attentive to all our needs. I haven't gone there in ages so I haven't seen her.
Hmm...the one I spoke to said her name was Genie...not sure if that's how it's spelled but she said it like "genie" in the bottle. LOL. Overall that store has a good vibe to it except for the one guy that was there...darkish brown hair with tats.

I've been in the Beauty industry for awhile...and I rarely had a good experience at counters especially M.A.C.
frown.gif
The people there are so unbelievably rude and it pisses me off! How do they even make their sales & commission being so damn rude?!?! They have the nerve to be annoyed when you ask questions or when you need something...What the heck are you there for then?!?! It also gives me a negative image on the companies themselves...That those are the people they choose to hire and represent their cosmetic company...It's sad! I always deliver the type of service that make clients feel comfortable. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have a job.

I just rememberd another experience I had! There was a gift with purchase at Estee Lauder so I drove to the mall on my lunch break to buy my moms mothers day gift so I could get a GWP in the deal. The lady was already helping a customer so I poked around and decided what I wanted to buy my mom and then I was hanging out around the counter. I didn't want to wonder away and look at other counters because I didn't want to lose my spot in line. The lady who was working the counter looked at me and said in a very rude voice "Yes, I see you". I told her that I wasn't trying to rush her, I was just waiting my turn and she and the lady she was helping exchanged whispers, so I'm sure they were saying something about me.

If I could go back in time I would have talked to the store manager about her, because that was very rude to treat me that way when I was waiting to spend over $100 on my moms mothers day gift. I ended up spending my money at another counter and not getting the gift with purchase.

I've never had a bad experience at MAC, everyone has always been super helpful and cheery, no matter where I go to. Maybe I'm lucky

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i love sephora, but somehow i always feel like i don't belong. like everyone is snooty. it makes me wonder how other people see me. i try to smile and be pleasant, but nothing. it's like they think i won't buy anything so why bother. the only time this doesn't happen is when they have "shades of beauty" events. that's why i pretty much buy my products online. i feel the same way! i always get followed around and scowled at.

it true many times at cosmetic counter peoples are not always the way they should,i m a retail manager belive me clientes can be from hell ,i know that,they can be mean,each one that come in i always give a smile and say hello ,but sometimes peoples are so rude they look at you like b***** why do you dare say hello,but to me if you work in a store you should always say hello and try to help the cliente,i had a bad experience at the Bliss store in ny,i was in the search for a mineral foundation,got in look like for 10 mn,couldn t find it,had to go to the counter,said hello to the sell girl,who i think even didnt answer hello to me,i ask her ,she told me its on the left and turn around and left me,i was like dissapointed,she dosent know i was train as an esthetician,but still this is a $50 mineral foundation,she should have sold me the product and offer me to try it on,you never told a clente ,its there and just turn you back on them!

Originally Posted by krazykid90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just rememberd another experience I had! There was a gift with purchase at Estee Lauder so I drove to the mall on my lunch break to buy my moms mothers day gift so I could get a GWP in the deal. The lady was already helping a customer so I poked around and decided what I wanted to buy my mom and then I was hanging out around the counter. I didn't want to wonder away and look at other counters because I didn't want to lose my spot in line. The lady who was working the counter looked at me and said in a very rude voice "Yes, I see you". Right, KrazyKid?! Their lucky that their products are good and that their GWP are super good. If not, I wouldn't give that counter a penny. =)

ugh, i walked into a MAC and was SO surprised at how they acted. They were so *****y and couldn't care less that i was there. I did my own work and picked my stuff eventhough i needed no help, i wasnt offered any, AND i said i had a list of stuff i just wanted to look a bit. Their attitude continued until i went to pay and handed them my staff card... THEN they were nice to me, and slightly nervose UGH.

Well, when i went to the mac store in greenville over here, the sale lady was such a pain in the butt. She ignored me half the time and really wasn't much of any help. Everytime i had a question, she would answer in the least words possible so I went right across from her and purchase 200 worth of bobbi brown. I didn't really do it out of spite but i needed some things and i felt satisfied. Plus the bb lady was insanely nice and not pushy.

I had a negative experience at my local Cvs store. At times when I was shopping there,the cashiers would follow me around in the store,they would just hang around;hovering.{Just in the makeup section} I put up with it for a while,then I called the district manager.

The stalking stopped. If you are in Cvs,Walgreens,or any store: Do not put up with this!!

Back