Tell me something about your city?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If there is a similar thread pls ignore
biggrin.gif

If your comfortable with putting up your home town/state/country please tell me something about it, what you love, what you hate, what is it famous for? If you don't like the city your living in now tell me about your birth town
smile.gif

I'm in Toronto....heres some interesting facts:

-We have the worlds tallest building, the CN Tower, at 553.33 M.

2007_08_04CNTower4.jpg

- We're home to the worlds longest Street....1896 KM.

- Toronto is the most multicultural city in the entire world

- Toronto is smoke free....it is illegal to smoke in public enclosed spaces (restuarants, bars...etc)

- 1/4 of Canadas population lives within 159 KM radius of Toronto

- Toronto is North Americas 5th largest city

Ottawa

- love Bluesfest in the summer time, which is a week long festival of amazing artists that come play

- Also famous for Winterlude, a winter festival that has ice sculptures and lots of fun things, plus skating on the canal

- I guess we're pretty much famous for our beavertails, yum, and actors/musicians like Matt Perry, Alanis Morissette, Sandra Oh, Mom from OC I don't remember her name and I probably missed a bunch

- You can get from one side of the city to the other in 25 mins

- also love that Quebec is a 20 min drive, so partying legally started there at 18

- hate that we don't get recognized too much like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, but we're slowly making our mark, after all we ARE THE CAPITAL OF CANADA.

Quick Facts About Houston:

Houston is the home of the Texas Medical Center, the world's largest concentration of health care and research institutions, and NASA's Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center. Houston is the largest city in the state of Texas and the fourth-largest in the United States covering more than 600 square miles.

Houston offers a wide selection of recreational opportunities, ranging from professional football, basketball, and baseball to permanent companies in opera, ballet, theater, and symphony. Houston's retail offerings are world class with several major shopping malls and urban entertainment centers. There are abundant lakes, rivers, and wildlife areas, and more than 400 parks. Houston is also very much an outdoor city.

Houston ranks second only to New York City by number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area. Also, it is one of only a handful of cities in the country to feature permanent dance, theater, symphony, and opera companies. The city also features Jesse H. Jones Hall for the Performing Arts, home of the Houston Symphony and Society for the Performing Arts; the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, the home of Theatre Under the Stars and the SFX Broadway Series; and the Alley Theatre, one of the oldest resident professional theater companies in the nation.

Plus, there are many famous people from Houston including:

Patrick Swayze, Shelley Duvall, Alexis Bledel(from the Gilmore Girls)...just to name a few!

Pittsburgh, PA

pittsburgh.jpg

Nestled among rolling hills along the Allegheny, Ohio and Monongahela Rivers, Pittsburgh is the heart of a dynamic region where more than one million people live and work. Pittsburgh is on the forefront of biomedical research, computing technology, finance and business and is a hub of historical, cultural, recreational and professional sports activities.

Oh, I forgot to add that the CN Tower has a cool glass floor that makes it feel like your floating on air....

1.jpg

You know esha, I've never been to Ottawa before....I should go!

LOL It is pretty creepy....an ex took me to the tower for dinner (they have a revolving restuarant at the top of the tower, so literally you have a different view every few mins) and i REFUSED to walk on it even though i knew it was safe! lol

HOUSTON BLOWS!!!

I hate this place and I wanna move. But alas bills need to be paid...

When oh when can I go back to Fl or better yet TnT?!

I lived in Houston for 6 years and all I remember was that I sweated!! A lot!! lol

wow! interesting places.. gina i got vertigo just looking at that picture!

liverpool has two massive churches at either end of one long road that cuts straight through the city. this is the catholic cathedral (commonly known as "paddy's wigwam")

LiverpoolMetropolitanCathedral.jpg

it's huuuuuge. and pretty gross from the outside but inside it looks like this

9905_05_17---Liverpool-Roman-Catholic-Cathedral_web.jpg

no cross shape, its round all the way round!

and this is the anglican (protestant) one:

anglican_cathedral.jpg

my personal favourite. it's gorgeous inside too.

last year to mark our city being the capital of culture they shone a laser from the catholic cathedral down to the anglican one- they're built on the same level so it didn't bounce on a single building. it was sort of symbolic, showing how the two divisions can be rejoined again. i'm not religious but it was pretty neat.

That is very scary Gina. I couldn't do it lol.

Spartanburg SC blows big time. We do have a lot of stuff here but I guess bc I grew up here it's not anything of interest personally. We are nicknamed "the hub city" or "sparkle city."

This is our downtown which you can cross through in less then 5 minutes lol

Spartanburgskyline.jpg

MorganSquare.jpg

"Morgan Square, the city’s primary downtown hub, is the original courthouse village. It was founded adjacent to a small spring (now underground) on the western slope of a ridge, which forms the border of the Tyger and Pacolet River watersheds. The square's name derives from Daniel Morgan, the general who commanded the American forces at the Battle of Cowpens. A statue of Morgan (visible atop the pillar at right in the photo) was placed in the square in 1881. The oldest existing buildings on the square date to the 1880s. It is now a thriving center for daytime commerce as well as nightlife. "

I know were home to world headquarters and research facility for Milliken and Company and our lot of economy benefits from BMW's manufacturing facility.

BMWZentrum.jpg

You can read more about us here on wiki.

I still like it here just bc it small and comfortable. I'm not a big city person so it fits for me.

i dont like my current city, but i used to live in rochester so i can give some intresting facts about that

*the rochester in upstate new york not the one in pennsylvania

-there are two towns in NY called rochester, this one is up near canada

- home of nick tahoe's hotts which is the home of the garbage plate

- the wegmans food store chain started in rochester

- Kodak corporate head quaters is located in down town rochester

- home to the national technical institute for the deaf (NTID)

- had a ferry that went from rochester to ontario i think that cost the city about 45 million dollars and is not in use

I live in Newcastle! It is famous for Newcastle Brown Ale, Angel of the North and the bridges. The shopping is great too, about 20 minutes from Newcastle is the biggest shopping centre in Europe, Metrocentre.

tyne-bridge_mick.jpg

angel_of_the_north.jpg

I live in Denver, Colorado

denver.jpg

I didn't know what to say about it lol so I looked some stuff up.

-The United States Air Force Academy is located in Colorado Springs.

-Denver, lays claim to the invention of the cheeseburger. The trademark for the name Cheeseburger was awarded in 1935 to Louis Ballast.

-Colfax Avenue in Denver is the longest continuous street in America.

-The 13th step of the state capital building in Denver is exactly 1 mile high above sea level.

-Colorado has more microbreweries per capita than any other state.

-The highest suspension bridge in the world is over the Royal Gorge near Canon City. The Royal Gorge Bridge spans the Arkansas River at a height of 1,053 feet.

- the Coors Light brewery is in Golden, Colorado

I don't know what else to say! I love how it can be 30 degrees and snowing and the next day be 75 degrees.

100E0627.jpg

100_0676.jpg

HyattRegencyDenveratColoradoConvent.jpg

Our airport

DIA.jpg

13436939_c2f0153b77.jpg

We have beautiful sunsets

coloradosunset.jpg

Austin TX

We used to be the live music capital of the world, it used to have that small town feel. In the last 10 years we've really grown, everyone wants to live here. Crime is increasing due to the economy, but still lotsa fun things to do all the time, you gotta have $ tho to keep up with all the fun.

Great thread Ozee! I find it fascinating to read about all the places people live
smile.gif

Middlesbrough is a town in the north east of england mainly known for its industry especially the steel works.

This is the transporter bridge:

Middlesbrough_Transporter_Bridge.jpg

It's really pretty when it's lit up on a night.

Middlesbrough is near the river tees and we have the 2nd largest shipping port in the UK (the crap you learn in history class, eh?
tongue.gif
)

It's an alright place to live I guess. I can think of nicer places but it's okay.

Back