2010 Winter Olympics (Vancouver BC)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Vancouver-2010-olympics-logo.jpg

I want to kick off a new thread for all Olympic related discussion and news.

vancouver2010.jpg

The Official Web site is here

The Opening Ceremony is Feb 12

The Closing Ceremony is Feb 28

Here is the schedule of events from official site

Right now the big news of the games is lack of snow! at least at Cypress Mountain that is the home of the snowboarding and freestyle events. I understand they are trucking in snow and the ski area has been closed to the public for the past two days.

capt.1797339124154e5c9a1fa15df0bf10dc.vancouver_snow_worries_olympics_ny173.jpg
AP

2010-01-26

Cypress is a great place. It is literally 20 min from downtown Vancouver and is one of the few places I would consider night skiing at. The view of Vancouver at night is incredible!

3887216070_8b681e618b.jpg

I can't wait for the Olympics to begin. But I have a grip (big surprise I know).

The Inukshuk (stone man mascot) should get rid of the dark blue bar and replace it with a black one. It would now have the same five colours as the rings of the Olympics.

Vancouver's weather is way too mild - I hope the Olympics has a decent back up plan to run the out door events.

It was designed like that a few years ago. A complete oversight, if you ask me.

I really enjoy the Winter games much more than the Summer games.

Snow board cross is really exciting - I'm really looking forward to watching it.

There are two Canadian women ranked in the top 4, so I'll be cheering them on!

Carolyn,

you should do a post on all the Canadians who you will be looking for

Its been very warm here ,Im 4 hrs away from Vancouver, thus the lack of snow

Thanks for posting the schedule!

I'm not as big on the winter Olympics as I am on the summer Olympics, but I still think it'll be fun!

There is no snow here right now.. and we've had 10 degree (celsius) days lately..

I'm not a fan of cold.. but for the olympics' sake I do hope Whistler/Vancouver is having a colder winter..

I only live 4 hours away.. Close to Ricci
smile.gif

The back up plan is to fly in snow.

It look like they may have to implement that plan!

Coach says speed skater Hughes to carry Canadian flag

Clara Hughes, an Olympic champion speedskater and humanitarian activist, has been named Canada's flag-bearer for the Vancouver Winter Games.

Ingrid Paul, a Dutch native who is a coach with the Canadian long-track team, revealed the flag-bearer's identity via Twitter.

"Clara will carry the flag for Canada into the stadium. Good choice,'' she said in Dutch.

But with the official announcement set for later Friday, Paul's tweet was removed quickly and replaced with a more generic message in which the coach said Hughes and fellow speedskater Jeremy Wotherspoon had good chances of landing the honour.

That tweet was soon removed, too, although Visa, one of Hughes' sponsors, later jumped the gun again with a release congratulating her.

A Speedskating Canada spokesman said she could neither confirm or deny the flag-bearer's identity.

The opening ceremonies are Feb. 12.

Hughes, a 37-year-old Winnipeg native who now makes her home in Glen Sutton, Que., is Canada's second most decorated Olympian with five medals. She is the defending long-track champion in the 5,000 metres and a silver medallist in the team pursuit.

Hughes is the sixth Canadian speedskater to be an Olympic flag-bearer. She joins Catriona Le May Doan (2002), Sylvie Daigle (1992), Gaetan Boucher (1984), Ralph Olin (1964) and Gordon Audley (1952).

Hockey player Daniele Goyette carried the Maple Leaf at the opening ceremonies of the 2006 Turin Games.

Hughes, who is also an elite cyclist, is the only Canadian athlete to win medals at both the Summer and Winter Games. She is also an Officer of the Order of Canada and received the International Olympic Committee's sport community award.

The Vancouver Games will be Hughes' fifth Olympics. She won two bronze medals at the 1996 Atlanta Summer Games in cycling and also competed at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

She qualified as a speedskater for the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake City and won bronze in the 5,000 metres.

Four years ago in Turin, she donated $10,000 of her own money to the humanitarian group Right to Play, this at a time when the Canadian Olympic Committee did not give cash prizes for medals.

Hughes has gone full circle in her career.

She fell in love with speedskating as a teenager watching the 1988 Calgary Olympics. She skated for a year, then switched to cycling.

Away from the rink, Hughes does extensive work with Right to Play and speaks out on environmental issues.

"I want to stay connected to humanity and contribute to the human condition and try to make it a little better maybe,'' Hughes said in a recent interview with The Canadian Press.

"That's always been a goal of mine and I feel like as an athlete I have this incredible platform to try and make a difference for people.''

Hughes follows figure skater Brian Orser (1988 Calgary Olympics) and 800-metre runner Abby Hoffman (1976 Montreal Olympics) as a flag-bearer on home soil.

The selection of the flag-bearer begins with the different sports federations recommending candidates.

A panel within the Canadian Olympic Committee comprising two athletes, a coach, the Games chef de mission and the two assistant chefs then reviews the names and makes the selection.

Once the committee makes its choice, the athlete is contacted by the chef de mission.

Source: CTV Olympics - Coach says speed skater Hughes to carry Canadian flag

Dont worry BC,

PEI, NS, NB and NFLD will send you all our snow!!! We got dumped on today and it sucks, hahha.

I can hardly wait to watch the games.

We have tons of snow where I live so maybe we should send some to BC.

Here is the list of all Olympic Locations from wikipedia. Canada will do a terrific job hosting i am sure!

Games Year Host Dates Nations Competitors Sports Events Ref Total Men Women

I 1924 Chamonix, France 25 January – 5 February 16 258 247 11 6 16

II 1928 St. Moritz, Switzerland 11–19 February 25 464 438 26 4 14

III 1932 Lake Placid, United States 4–15 February 17 252 231 21 4 14

IV 1936 Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany 6–16 February 28 646 566 80 4 17

1940 Originally awarded to Sapporo, Japan, cancelled because of World War II.

1944 Originally awarded to Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, cancelled because of World War II.

V 1948 St. Moritz, Switzerland 30 January – 8 February 28 669 592 77 4 22

VI 1952 Oslo, Norway 14–25 February 30 694 585 109 4 22

VII 1956 Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy 26 January – 5 February 32 821 687 134 4 24

VIII 1960 Squaw Valley, United States 18–28 February 30 665 521 144 4 27

IX 1964 Innsbruck, Austria 29 January – 9 February 36 1091 892 199 6 34

X 1968 Grenoble, France 6–18 February 37 1158 947 211 6 35

XI 1972 Sapporo, Japan 3–13 February 35 1006 801 205 6 35

XII 1976 Innsbruck, Austria 4–15 February 37 1123 892 231 6 37

XIII 1980 Lake Placid, United States 13–24 February 37 1072 840 232 6 38

XIV 1984 Sarajevo, Yugoslavia 8–19 February 49 1272 998 274 6 39

XV 1988 Calgary, Canada 13–28 February 57 1423 1122 301 6 46

XVI 1992 Albertville, France 8–23 February 64 1801 1313 488 7 57

XVII 1994 Lillehammer, Norway 12–27 February 67 1737 1215 522 6 61

XVIII 1998 Nagano, Japan 7–22 February 72 2176 1389 787 7 68

XIX 2002 Salt Lake City, United States 8–24 February 77 2399 1513 886 7 78

XX 2006 Turin, Italy 10–26 February 80 2508 1548 960 7 84

XXI 2010 Vancouver, Canada 12–28 February future event

XXII 2014 Sochi, Russia 7–23 February future event

No, mon? Jamaica not on preliminary list of Olympic bobsled entries

Jamaica's bid to have its bobsled team compete in this month's Olympics has come up short.

The list of nations who qualified and entered bobsled events at the Vancouver Games, obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press, failed to include Jamaica - which had spent the last few weeks hoping that a slot opened in the field.

Those hopes were dashed, and on Wednesday, the Jamaicans acknowledged that all chance for 2010 was gone.

"We've been in battles for many, many years," Chris Stokes, a founding member of the Jamaican bobsled team more than 20 years ago, told The AP in a phone interview.

"This is one more. But it's disappointing, no question about that. The guys worked really hard and did well. Not qualifying, it's by no means a failure. It's a step going forward."

Officials from the Vancouver organizing committee are in the process of certifying those entries. There remains a chance more nations could be added, but for that to happen a sled that has entered must drop out.

The Jamaicans say they're no longer waiting for that to happen.

"I am told there are no other options at this point," team spokesman Stephen Samuels said.

They knew they were long shots to get into the Vancouver Games, but still, the notion of another team from the tiny island nation competing in these Olympics - 22 years after the first Jamaican sled raced in the Calgary Games and sparked the idea for the movie "Cool Runnings" - was enough to create a buzz.

Poorly funded and often racing with substandard equipment, the Jamaicans and driver Hannukkah Wallace managed to just sneak into the world top 50 rankings in four-man sliding, giving the chance of a Vancouver berth life.

In the end, they needed to be a few spots higher.

"If we have to be the last small nation, then so be it," Stokes said. "We'll keep the fight."

Wallace has said he wasn't sure if he'll stay with bobsledding, return to his roots in track, or possibly both. It's not uncommon for bobsledders to take some time off, especially early in a new four-year Olympic cycle.

Stokes said he believes Wallace will try to return and lead the team again.

"This is Hannukkah's third year driving," Stokes said. "People in the sport would say you need five, seven, maybe even 10 years to get to a certain level. Given the timeframe of development that we had, we knew it would be difficult. And one of the challenges we have in Jamaica bobsled, while other nations have several drivers coming up, we can afford only one."

The Jamaicans already say they're not abandoning all plans for 2010 - or 2014, for that matter.

As has been planned for months, the team will be at Whistler, if for no other reason than to experience what an Olympics are like, Stokes said.

"It's very important for them to go and see," Stokes said. "They'll remember what the games are like and watch the start line of a four-man Olympic race and feel that adrenaline. I hope it acts as a motivation for them."

And for the Sochi Games of 2014, Jamaica says it's hopeful of adding more sleds, more drivers - and intends to offer a coaching job to retired U.S. bobsled pilot Todd Hays, who saw his career end after a crash earlier this season. Even before retiring, Hays lent the Jamaican federation equipment and expertise.

"There are many things we can, and we will, do to improve our chances," Stokes said.

Source: No, mon? Jamaica not on preliminary list of Olympic bobsled entries - Olympics - Yahoo! Canada Sports

Olympic luger from Georgia dies after crash

VANCOUVER, British Columbia(AP)—A men’s Olympic luger from the country of Georgia died Friday after a high-speed crash on a track that is the world’s fastest and has raised safety concerns among competitors. A tearful IOC president Jacques Rogge said the death hours before the opening ceremony “clearly casts a shadow over these games.”

Nodar Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled during training, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center. Paramedics and doctors were unable to revive the 21-year-old luger, who died at a hospital, the International Olympic Committee said.

“We are heartbroken beyond words,” said John Furlong, chief executive of the Vancouver organizing committee.

Before speaking at a news conference, Rogge took off his glasses, rubbed his eyes and said, “Sorry, it’s a bit difficult to remain composed.”

“Here you have a young athlete that lost his life in pursuing his passion,” Rogge added. “He had a dream to participate in the Olympic Games. He trained hard and he had this fatal accident. I have no words to say what we feel.”

Rogge said he was in contact with Kumaritashvili’s family and officials from the Georgian government. Georgia’s Olympic committee was deciding whether to remain in the games, Rogge said.

An investigation into the crash started quickly, although Rogge said this was not the time to talk about it. The men’s luge competition is scheduled to begin Saturday afternoon. Officials at the Whistler track said they were uncertain if the schedule would be affected.

Rescue workers were at Kumaritashvili’s side within seconds. Chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation started less than one minute after the crash, and he was quickly airlifted to a trauma center in Whistler.

Kumaritashvili struck the inside wall of the track on the final turn. His body immediately went airborne and cleared the ice-coated concrete wall along the left side of the sliding surface. His sled remained in the track, and it appeared his helmet visor skidded down the ice.

The remainder of men’s training was canceled for the day, with VANOC officials saying an investigation was taking place to “ensure a safe field of play.” Men’s luge competition is to begin Saturday. It’s unclear if the schedule will change.

The danger of the Whistler track has been talked about for months - particularly after several nations, including the U.S., were upset over restrictions regarding access to the facility by nations other than Canada, with some noting it could lead to a safety issue.

Kumaritashvili is the fourth competitor to die at the Winter Games and the first since 1992.

“It’s a very rare situation,” three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said before learning of the death, clearly shaken after seeing Kumaritashvili tended to furiously by medical workers.

Shortly before the accident, Hackl said he didn’t believe the track was unsafe.

“People have the opinion it is dangerous but the track crew does the best it can and they are working hard to make sure the track is in good shape and everyone is safe,” he said. “My opinion is that it’s not anymore dangerous that anywhere else.”

Five-time Olympian Mark Grimmette, chosen as the U.S. team’s flag bearer, said the speeds on the track are pushing the boundaries of safety.

“We’re probably getting close,” he said the night before the death. “This track is fast and you definitely have to be on your game. … So it’s definitely something they are going to have to take into account on future tracks.”

American luger Christian Niccum crashed during a World Cup event in Whistler last year.

“When I hit that ice going 90 mph it turns into fire,” Niccum said Thursday. “I remember coming around to the finish and I just wanted to rip off my suit, ‘I’m on fire. I’m on fire.”’

This was Kumaritashvili’s second crash during training for the games. He also failed to finish his second of six practice runs, and in the runs he did finish, his average speed was about 88 mph - significantly less than the speed the top sliders are managing on this lightning-fast course.

It was unclear how fast Kumaritashvili was going, although many sliders have exceeded 90 mph on this course. More than a dozen athletes have crashed during Olympic training for luge, and some questioned whether athletes from smaller nations - like Georgia - had enough time to prepare for the daunting track.

At the finish area, not far from where Kumaritashvili lost control, athletes, coaches and officials solemnly awaited word on Kumaritashvili before eventually being ushered away. Access to the crash area was closed within about 30 minutes.

“I’ve never seen anything like that,” said Shiva Keshavan, a four-time Olympian from India.

Representatives from the three U.S. sliding federations were to release a joint statement later Friday. American athletes were not immediately made available for reaction after news of the death was confirmed.

“My thoughts and prayers are with the Georgian Olympic team,” U.S. bobsled pilot Steven Holcomb said on Twitter. “The sliding community suffered a tragic and devastating loss to our family today.”

“RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili,” wrote American skeleton athlete Kyle Tress, who did not qualify for the Olympic team. “Let’s never forget how dangerous these sports can be.”

Kumaritashvili competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.

Earlier in the day, gold-medal favorite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy crashed, losing control of his sled on Curve 11. Zoeggeler came off his sled and held it with his left arm to keep it from smashing atop his body. He slid on his back down several curves before coming to a stop and walking away.

Training days in Whistler have been crash-filled. A Romanian woman was briefly knocked unconscious and at least four Americans - Chris Mazdzer on Wednesday, Megan Sweeney on Thursday and both Tony Benshoof and Bengt Walden on Friday in the same training session where Zoeggeler wrecked - have had serious trouble just getting down the track.

“I think they are pushing it a little too much,” Australia’s Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday night after she nearly lost control in training. “To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we’re crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.”

At the 1992 Albertville Games, Nicholas Bochatay of Switzerland died after crashing into a snow grooming machine during training for the demonstration sport of speed skiing on the next-to-last day of the games. He was practicing on a public slope before his event was to begin.

Australian downhill skier Ross Milne died when he struck a tree during a training run shortly before the 1964 Winter Games in Innsbruck, Austria. British luger Kazimierz Kay-Skrzypecki also died in a crash during training in Innsbruck.

At the 1988 Calgary Games, an Austrian team doctor, Jorg Oberhammer, died after being hit by a snow grooming machine.

AP Sports Writers Tim Reynolds and Tom Withers in Whistler contributed to this report.

Olympic luger from Georgia dies after crash - 2010 Olympics - Yahoo! Canada Sports

.................................................. ................................................

Now that the games are about to begin, maybe this thread could be a sticky?

That is very sad Nodar Kumaritashvili lost his life
frown.gif
I sure hope they make some changes to that track very soon!

Back