2010 Winter Olympics (Vancouver BC)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm mad at them! they're taking off Days Of Our Lives to put on the Olympics on Monday
frown.gif

Originally Posted by MeganNicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm mad at them! they're taking off Days Of Our Lives to put on the Olympics on Monday
frown.gif
oh pleeeze! the Olympics comes along every 2 years and then for only 2 weeks. These shows do take some time off and do show reruns anyway so what's the diff? The Olympics are an international event and deserve complete coverage.

I dont care about the Olympics so I would be pissed too. I think they play those shows really late at night. This is where DVR's come in handy.

Hmm.

Don't like the torches. They look too much like a scifi futuristic laser rifle or something.

I like the traditional torches, you know, to give a nod to the ancient games.

And a big old "oops" on that cauldron lighting. How embarrassing for them.

Totally impressed with the remembrances to the Luger who was in the fatal accident.

Originally Posted by MeganNicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm mad at them! they're taking off Days Of Our Lives to put on the Olympics on Monday
frown.gif
But they just pre-empt the show, right?They will just delay the episodes, so you won't miss anything, I think.

Johnny Weir staying in Olympic Village because of anti-fur activists

American figure skater Johnny Weir will stay in the Olympic Village because he's concerned about "very serious threats" from anti-fur activists.

The medal hopeful had planned to stay in a hotel during the Games, but it would have been too difficult to arrange adequate security. Though there are no indications that any of the verbal and written threats from extremists were credible, Weir's decision to stay in the more secure village was an obvious choice.

He's right to take extra precaution during his time in Vancouver. Though the odds of one of these threats actually coming to pass are low, there's no reason for Weir to open himself up to the possibility. For peace of mind alone, staying in a secured Olympic Village is worth it.

At last month's U.S. Nationals, Weir earned the scorn of anti-fur protesters when he wore a white tuft of fox fur on his shoulder. He was defiant in the face of the criticism at first but later relented.

Weir has long been an enemy of animal-rights groups because of his costumes. It was a disappointment when he finally caved to their pressure. It's his job to look flamboyant. There's no need to listen to a small but vocal group who don't like it. Nothing would ever get accomplished if everyone in the world had to sign off on everything first.

Though those making threats to Weir are but an infinitesimal part of the animal-rights groups, they are a stain on the movement. Maybe PETA and Friends of Animals should spend more energy denouncing those who threaten rather than those who wear.

Johnny Weir staying in Olympic Village because of anti-fur activists - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

.................................................. .................................................. .......

Maybe now he can be flamboyant with faux fur

maple-leaf.gif

Canada wins its first Gold Medal! This is the country's first of these Olympics and the first for them hosting an Olympics. Alexandre Bilodeau won the Gold for the Men's Moguls competition. He beat out the reigning gold medalist David Begg Smith of Australia (Canadian ex-patriate) who finished in second and an American, Bryon Wilson came in 3rd.

This is good because now Canadian athletes do not have to put so much pressure on their athletes now. Jenn Heil of Canada gave a fabulous performance and just got beat out by Hannah Kearney of the US. It was a shame that she could not enjoy her silver medal as it seemed the country would not let their disappointment be hidden. No one even threw her a flag to celebrate her achievement.

firstgold.jpg
hannah kearney

In another exciting finish Apolo Ohno won a silver and a surprise by JR Celski who got a bronze in the sport of short track skating (1500 m). This is the sixth medal for Ohno who ties a US winter Olympic record set by Bonnie Blair. This happened after a mishap on the final lap involving two of the South Koreans who were leading the competion got tangled and crashed leaving Ohno & Celski move into the podium finish.

OhnoSILVER-thumb-300x354-70627.jpg

rockwoot.gif

Hey everybody! Who all has been watching the Olympics beside me and Darla?

What's your favourite sport? Any surprises?

I have! Did you see the game between Canada and Sweden????? Oh god I was biting my nails!!

So why are all the Canadian hockey games at 7:30pm and the Americans are at 3pm while I'm at work and the poor Russians are at Midnight?? I smell a conspiricy!! lol Stayed up to watch the Russian Slovac game... till 3am.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You know what, I haven't watched very much of the hockey games.

With women's hockey, I want to see the US vs Canadian gold medal game. I don't get any pleasure out of watching the US or Canada beat the crap out of the other teams.

I watch either curling or hockey at midnight, until I fall asleep...

this may end up being a great hockey tournament in the Olympics. I thought Canada was going to walk away with this, but with such a close game against Switzerland and the Russian loss to Slovakia it should be real interesting.

On another note did anyone see the Final of the Men's Figure Skating. Evan Lysacek won the gold but do you think he should of?

us-mens-figure-skater-evan-lysacek-gold-053ea56df9cbf70e_large.jpg

Speaking for myself YES definitely, see the video

Been really getting into watching curling (go figure) US women beat Russia

I didnt actually get to see the mens figure skating. I was at work. I did read about it though. It sounds like he knew the rules and skated accordingly.

Figure skating isnt only about the jumps. Plushenko did incredibly well. The silver medal is nothing to be ashamed of for certain.

Pleshenko has won a silver medal in the 2002, gold in 2006 and silver in 2010 - not too shabby!

The dance competition has just begun - I think it will be fantastick! There are a lot of teams that could get on to the podium...

Canada vs. USA tomorrow is going to be so intense!! haha

2 Great teams!

I watched Lysacek's performance, very powerful, he totally deserved his gold medal!
smile.gif

I was actually in Vancouver yesterday, there's such a great athmosphere downtown on Robson. So many people from all over the world just having a great time
smile.gif

My favorite part however was going to the Holland Heineken House. Got in right away with my Dutch passport. Bought Joe a "broodje kroket," soft meaty goodness, deepfried in crunchy breading and eaten in a bun.

I hadn't had one since moving to Canada 6 years ago. It was sooooo freaking delicious!

Thanks Dee for that update. I saw that Holland House on the late night review. Looks like lots of fun. Too bad not just anyone can go there, the Dutch in particular look fun to party with.

I absolutely love Vancouver I have been there 5 times and can't wait to go there maybe around this summer.

hahaha, Tony, i think that stung a little (or a lot) for everyone around here
wink.gif

Congratulations to you guys though
tongue.gif

Latest posts

Back